CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Window Tint

WarrenJ

This coming Monday I'll be having the windows tinted at the shop BbF recommended. We agreed on 35%.

Before the deed is done, does anyone have any input?

Another thought: can tint be easily removed?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This coming Monday I'll be having the windows tinted at the shop BbF recommended. We agreed on 35%.

Before the deed is done, does anyone have any input?

Another thought: can tint be easily removed?

Regards,

Warren

Warren,

Check your local state / county laws regarding window tint. Some areas regulate the light transmission levels for safety reasons.

Some states which have car inspections charge an additional fee to confirm the aftermarket tint is within legal limits. In my state, this is an additional $10 each year.

I purchased a car that had aftermarket tint and the vendor provided a "conformance" certificate that stated the tint was within the limits called out in the General Statute, but this did not prevent me from paying the $10 fee each year.

Most tints can be removed, but it takes some effort and clean-up with a razor - and adhesive solvent in some cases.

Don't tint a heated window (rear) unless you plan on leaving it there. The heat strips will likely be damaged upon removal.

Don't tint a heated window (rear) unless you plan on leaving it there. The heat strips will likely be damaged upon removal.

Yes, that's the kinda thing that worries me.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren,

I think the darker tint will look sharp against the already black on black look. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the legal tint percentage limited in NYS to 20%?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Warren,

I think the darker tint will look sharp against the already black on black look. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the legal tint percentage limited in NYS to 20%?

I really can't correct you. I said I wanted to be legal and we discussed a bunch of things. That was the number we came up with in the end. It's a concern. And maybe, just maybe, I've got the number wrong in my skull? :huh:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Warren, I may be wrong but I don't think you can clean 'em with ammonia based glass cleaner at least I think thats what they said when I did my Eldo, it turns them purple!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I was also surprised to hear Al tell me I wouldn't be able to open my windows for four days. CRAP, I'll have to put some duct tape over the window switches; there's no way I won't thoughtlessly hit one of those switches while I've engaged the mental auto-pilot.

Yeah, he's a bit of a perfectionist. And I'm a wimp! :D

I really thought this was gonna be a quick BTDT thing. :(

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Tint Looks sharp on a black CADILLAC.......... The darker the better IMO... just dont get your wife to back it up at night.. :D

http://v3rn.dyndns.org/sts/sts033_tint.jpg

http://v3rn.dyndns.org/sts/sts030_tint.jpg

http://v3rn.dyndns.org/sts/sts034_tint.jpg

crappy pcitures, but all I took with the TINT when I had the car. I think thats darker than 35%, i cant remember the %.

US Window Tint Laws (PDF) . . . . .

EXCELLENT info Mike. BTW, Al remembered your "flap." :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

PM me about that flap I am interested in what he said. His partner was irresponsible, and said he would do something when he did not. I have a cracked windshield and it became a huge project with the fake convertible top that needed to be peeled back.

Al, never said anything to me about not opening the window. Somehow my tint got scratched not sure how.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

PM me about that flap I am interested in what he said. His partner was irresponsible, and said he would do something when he did not. I have a cracked windshield and it became a huge project with the fake convertible top that needed to be peeled back.

Al, never said anything to me about not opening the window. Somehow my tint got scratched not sure how.

PM'd you

Posted Image

Warren, I've tinted my last 5 cars, and basically left the windows up for about 2 days to be safe.

Two of my STS's were 1 step past legal (I forget the %). I was never pulled over, but everytime

I saw a cruiser I was uncomfortable ... I'd actually open my sunroof cover to lighten the look.

I tinted my beige interior at the same time my coworker applied the same % to his black interior ...

his tint came out significantly darker than mine due to the black leather. The big thing with me was

I liked a continuous % on all 4 windows ... it looks like the car just came out of a gm brochure compared with going lighter on the driver's door.

Re removing from the heated back window, its not a problem if done correctly. My wife's Accord came with a tint, and she didn't like the vision at night. I had my tint guy remove it for me .... $30 and about 20 minutes of work. Most of the tint peeled straight off, probably because it was only about 2 years old.

I would have to say that the sharpest tint results, IMHO, come out of tinting a diamond white or black caddy ... I'm envious, it'll look amazing.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Warren,

I had my windows tinted by a shop to a legal (at the time) 20% all around (including the rear window) when I had my 92 eldo. About 2 years later they changed the tint law, (and I didn't hear about it), got pulled over and got a warning ticket saying I had 24 hrs to remove it. I had my father in law stand on the outside of each window with a heat gun, and I had a hair dryer on the inside. I got mine to pull of with no sticky stuff remaining on with windows, and the heat elements on the rear windows were just fine. Took about an hour to do all the windows. Now of course, my tint was only on a couple years - if you try to remove tint that had been on for a long time I'm sure it would be more difficult.

Just my 2 cents - hope it helps.

-dave B)

P.S. Boy was I POed about the law change!

P.P.S. oh and 35% is 'lighter' than 20 %, so if 20% is the legal limit, 35% would be fine.

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I would have to say that the sharpest tint results, IMHO, come out of tinting a diamond white or black caddy ... I'm envious, it'll look amazing.

Thanks Ted,

I owe it all to you (and of course, my checkbook). :lol:

The black interior is something new to me. When I open a door, a crapload of interior lights illuminate; still, it's dark in there. Go figure.

I expect, in the summer to come, the interior will be an unrelenting hotbox. Hence, a part of the reason for the tint. The other part is simply vanity. You'll understand.

Like you, I'm concerned the gendarmes might consider the car as somewhat "sinister." Now, I haven't been pulled over in decades, but I've always thought that if that happened I'd turn on my interior lights and put the windows down. Oh, and hands on the steering wheel. :) Just common sense.

I'm really looking forward to the tint!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

P.P.S. oh and 35% is 'lighter' than 20 %, so if 20% is the legal limit, 35% would be fine.

That was my understanding, but it's good to hear it reinforced.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Regards,

Warren

Hi Warren...I had 'purple' (old, cleaned with ammonia, peeling) tint on my Eldo when I got it and had it replaced about two months ago. The shop I used was able to successfully remove the film on the rear window without breaking the defroster.

While the law here states 20% on everything except the side windows, I went 20% all the way around. Of course, the invoice says 35% all the way around (the tint guy doing some CYA). I have the beige interior, so the effect isn't too dark during the day.

Black on black on black? You will look sinister! Either that or right out of the cast of The Sopranos. You are from Jersey, right?! :lol:

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Black on black on black? You will look sinister! Either that or right out of the cast of The Sopranos. You are from Jersey, right?! :lol:

Darth Vader's Eldorado! :ph34r: Just kidding, black on black with tinted windows looks awesome, especially on an Eldorado!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I had 70% tint on my entire windshield, 30% on front side windows and 20% on all my rear windows when I had my STS. I live in Florida and had black interior so I wasnt gonna have it ruined my the destructive florida rays! Had my car for 3 years and only recieved 2 tickets and numerous warnings. The 2 tickets came from a visit to New york during the holidays last year. Now on my CTS I just tinted the windows 70% on the windshield, 28% front side windows and 15% around the back. I'd rather pay the 35.00 fines every once and a while than have my black leather interior Crack and fade and look like crap!

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT Light platinum 39K miles

~Vogue VTXi Package - Corsa Exhaust - K & N Cold air intake - Blacked out tints

2004 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L all-whell drive Pewter 42k miles

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

1990 Mustang GT Painted Cadillac Diamond White - 604 Rwhp

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

2005 Cadillac STS V8(Dad)

2000 Eldorado ETC (Brother)

Regards,

Warren

Hi Warren...I had 'purple' (old, cleaned with ammonia, peeling) tint on my Eldo when I got it and had it replaced about two months ago. The shop I used was able to successfully remove the film on the rear window without breaking the defroster.

While the law here states 20% on everything except the side windows, I went 20% all the way around. Of course, the invoice says 35% all the way around (the tint guy doing some CYA). I have the beige interior, so the effect isn't too dark during the day.

Paulie had an Eldorado for the longest time, he got a CTS in the last season if memory serves me right. Sil drives a Seville (STS I think). The last car Adrianna ever rode in. Can't remember who drove the Deville (Big *smurf*?), one late 90's and I know Vito drove a 00-05 model. Lets not forget Tony's Esclade, the biggest of the big....so yeah I watch the show...and my father would fit in on it, West Side of Buffalo, NY Italian. Don't let that Green last name fool ya, it should really be Verde :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Sal Drives the 97 Deville

Big Pu**y also drives the 90's deville

Vito Drives the 03 Deville DTS

Silvio Drove Mid 90's Seville then switched the 04 SLS in season 4

Paulie drove the 90's seville then 90's deville then 99 Eldo then switched to the 05 CTS

Tony Drives the 2003 Escalade ESV (Black and white)

Richie 90's deville

Furio 01 DTS

Patsy 90's deville

Tony Blundetto late 70's eldo

Pretty much all the caddy's drivn by main characters seasons 1-6

http://www.forbesautos.com/slideshows/advi...?thisSpeed=6000

2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT Light platinum 39K miles

~Vogue VTXi Package - Corsa Exhaust - K & N Cold air intake - Blacked out tints

2004 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L all-whell drive Pewter 42k miles

~22" Tis 07 Rims - E&G Chrome Vertyical billet Grill - Limo tints - Tv's in the Visor and headrests

1990 Mustang GT Painted Cadillac Diamond White - 604 Rwhp

Family Cars:

2004 Cadillac XLR (Mom)

2005 Cadillac STS V8(Dad)

2000 Eldorado ETC (Brother)

Hi Warren...I had 'purple' (old, cleaned with ammonia, peeling) tint on my Eldo . . . . Black on black on black? You will look sinister! Either that or right out of the cast of The Sopranos. You are from Jersey, right?! :lol:

I've seen "purpled" tint. Is that really due to the use of ammonia containing cleaners? I'd guess that means Windex is out of the question? Never heard that before.

Yes, I was born in Overlook, NJ. However, at the tender age of one year and three months I had the good sense to move to Long Island where I've remained to this day. Eventually every member of my family slowly gravitated back to the corrupt state of New Jersey where they've most recently elected a Senator described by a fellow party member as "an indictment waiting to happen." :P:P:P

Who knew this was to become a Sopranos post ?!? :D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Yes, I was born in Overlook, NJ. However, at the tender age of one year and three months I had the good sense to move to Long Island where I've remained to this day. Eventually every member of my family slowly gravitated back to the corrupt state of New Jersey where they've most recently elected a Senator described by a fellow party member as "an indictment waiting to happen." :P:P:P

Who knew this was to become a Sopranos post ?!? :D

Regards,

Warren

An indictment waiting to happen...too funny :lol:

Sopranos post - well, this is caddyinfo.com.....it was bound to happen sooner or later!

As far as glass cleaner, I have always used ammonia-based and have never had a problem with my tint (all 3 vehicles). Perhaps tint film has evolved?? There are foaming glass gleaners you're supposed to use that do work well.

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

I'd rather pay the 35.00 fines every once and a while than have my black leather interior Crack and fade and look like crap!

35.00, yeah I'd risk it too, but when I asked about what the fines would be they said it could be up to $1k in GA!!! I ripped that stuff off in a hurry. But now I can laugh, cause the tint on the SRX that came from the factory (built into the glass) seems darker than what I put on the eldo, and there is nothing they can do about it. :D

But anyway, the eldos look AWESOME with tint!

before:

IPB Image

after:

IPB Image

love the SRX, but sometimes i really miss that eldo too :rolleyes:

-dave B)

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Archived