CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Flickering Lights

capntom

All my lights are flickering while engine is running, engine off no flicker. I've check all major grounds and connections, checked all bulbs. alternator output seems ok, ripple is ok. Has anybody had this problem before?. I'm kinda at a loss right now. Thanks

Actually, I'm also having a problem where my headlights and dash lights flicker. It's a quick pulse-like flicker.

MAC - I had the same thing happen last year and it mysteriously 'healed' itself. I also was hearing clicking (akin to a relay coming on) that would intermittently go nuts and then quit with both heated seats on :blink:.

Lemme know if you find a resolution; I would say try first cleaning the battery terminals thoroghly but it sounds like he's already done that.

MM

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

The positive battery cable can be deceiving. There are three lines from it: one to the starter, one to the alternator, and one to the min distribution block under the left maxifuse block that is below and behind the air cleaner on the driver's side. These three cables are physically separate and are sandwiched at the battery positive terminal connection, and ony one or two of them can have a bad connection. I suggest that you take the positive and negative battery cables off the battery and clean them as well as you can. Clean between the cables on the positive cable; the original OEM design may allow you to take it apart (I changed mine some time ago and don't have one to look at). Put it back together, positive terminal first, with 12-15 pound-feet of torque on the battery terminals, moving the cables slightly as you tighten each bolt.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

What does your voltmeter read on the alternator. Any time I have had flickering its usually the alternator. It is confirmed by a wide ranging charging voltage. Its either the brushes, regulator or an armature short in the alternator.

You say you checked the voltage or ripple as you say, what did you find was the charging voltage steady?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

All my lights are flickering while engine is running, engine off no flicker. I've check all major grounds and connections, checked all bulbs. alternator output seems ok, ripple is ok. Has anybody had this problem before?. I'm kinda at a loss right now. Thanks

I had a regulator act like that once. I found this by having the alternator tested at a local parts house.

Best of luck.

Archived