CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Thinkin about a Jeep

I am gonna keep the Caddy, but I want something with 4 wheel drive so I can have fun in the desert. It is my Grandpa's Jeep it is a 1993 GC limited with the 5.2l V8, he says it's a 4.0 6 but I don't think the limiteds came with the 6 and anyways it says V8 on the back. It has 214,000 miles on it and the radiator was just recently replaced but besides that it hasn't had any other work done to it. The transfer case is making some weird noises right now but hey I kinda want a car to work on also. He is asking 2500.00 for it does everyone think this is a good price and what are some things I should check before buying this Jeep. Does anyone have experience with them or any comments on pros and cons of the Jeep.

I would check the KBB price for the vehicle. If the first owner doesn't know whether he as a 4.0 L in-line 6 or a V8 at 214,000 miles, I kinda think that's a good sign.

I did a quick check on KBB.com and, with the V8 in "fair" condition -- servicable with mechanical issues -- and the default list of accessories, it says $3.3K. That model was available with both engines, so check under the hood; emblems can find their way onto an old car as part of a repair or whatever.

The 3.2 liter V8 is the old 318 cid engine that Chrysler has had around since 1962. It is one of the Mopar small-block engines, and there his a high-performance version, the Mopar 340 cid engine. I think that the 360 cid engine that they sold as the standard V8 for larger cars in the 70's and 80's may have also been in this family. That old 318 cid engine is very heavy. I would imagine that a 4.0 HO would out-perform it. However, it is capable of amazing fuel economy, has truly excellent drivability. Stump-puller torque but feather-throttle for low traction situation? No problem. Also, reliability is excellent and provien.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ok cool, I know the 4.0 is bulletproof. Evidently the 5.2 is also, I know that in 1998 Jeep had a limited edition GC with the 5.9(this is what I really want) that hit 60 somewhere in the 6 second range and I'm not sure about 1/4 mile times. I don't think I will have to feather the throttle it has quadra trac or drive or something so it is in 4 wheel drive all the time. I just want something I can follow my did around in the desert with, he has a 99 GC limited with the 4.7 V8 and that thing is unstopable off-road.

If it is a 5.2 liter, the 5.9 is the 360 cid Mopar, and that engine and tranny should be a drop-in. The tranny may even be the same. You have the wrong forum for details, though. I had a 318 V8 with a 2-barrel from 1969 through 1973. It got 24 mpg on the road, and I thought that was phenomenal until I got my ETC, and regularly get 23.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I had a 96 jeep gc with way less miles and sold it for $1,500 was a good truck inline 6 but on mine it had the fuel pump in tank and when it went cost was $600.00 bucks. It also got the death wobble afer it hit 150,000 miles and thats when I got rid of it. also the inline 6 is a great motor but they leak tons of oil everywhere. And make sure the 4x4 works if not there known not to go anywhere without it.

If it is a 5.2 liter, the 5.9 is the 360 cid Mopar, and that engine and tranny should be a drop-in. The tranny may even be the same. You have the wrong forum for details, though. I had a 318 V8 with a 2-barrel from 1969 through 1973. It got 24 mpg on the road, and I thought that was phenomenal until I got my ETC, and regularly get 23.

I know it's the wrong forum to ask technical questions, but if I ask opinions on a Jeep website well of course they will tell me to get the Jeep.

And we should go to the jeep site to ask about Cadillacs??? No offense but this definitely belongs in the 19th Hole. The 19th Hole has been very active lately so your post will most definitely be seen if that is/was your concern.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Na that's fine, I just assumed it was the 'Cadillac' of Jeeps, :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived