CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Pump Belt

kens96

Started to replace the water pump belt on the 96 Eldo (130K and don't know when it was done last) and I can't figure out how to get the old one out and the new one in.

There is no space to pull the old belt out except for right under the tensioner and there is not enough room to squeeze it through.

Does the tensoner have to be removed the get the belt out or am I missing the obvious?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ken

Check Jason's post here http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...ic=6931&hl=

are you removing the water pump cover?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

: Thanks Bruce,

The way I am reading this I have to:

1 Drain the coolant down

2 Remove the belt cover and the front of the water pump to get the belt off

3 Remove the old belt and install the new belt

4 Replace the water pump cover (use a new gasket) and the belt cover

5 Refill coolant

There is no way to do replace the belt without opening the water pump? :unsure

I usually just take the tensioner off - that provides plenty of clearance to get the new belt on and on the proper side of the tensioner pulley. Once the tensioner is mounted back in place, use small breaker bar or ratchet in the 1/4" square hole in the tensioner arm to relax the tension and slip the belt into place.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks,

I'll go back in for another look. I did not notice any bolts holding the tensioner in place or a spot in the tensioner to put a 1/4 inch drive. I use a 15MM open end and slid it on the raised edge of the tensoner arm to move it.

Had the dealer replace the waterpump about 2 years ago. Any chance there is a 1 piece unit out there that does not come apart ?

Ken

There are two nuts and one bolt that fasten the guard in place. The tensioner is retained by two studs/bolts that the lower guard mounting nuts thread onto.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Got it now... Went back out for another look today. Found the 1/4 " drive slot... will look for the stud bolts behind the guard when i go back in this weekend.

Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving. :lol:

Archived