CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

outside noise

QbanCgar

i meant 2 add this 2 my previous post, but i noticed when i accelerate my car sounds like it has a magnaflow or gibson exhaust (actually more like a machine gun)...is this a sign that my exhaust needs 2 b replaced? :blink:

Pimpin' In My Black 'Lac

OEM mufflers through the dealer include the tips and the Y from the main exhaust piple back from the cat. They are over $200 apiece. You can replace them with Borlas and keep the stock tips from the old mufflers. Any good muffler shop can put them on for you. Be sure and get someone who will use stainless steel and apprpriate welding rod. A lot of muffler shops sell mostly Flowmasters to trucks and sport-utes who don't care if their mufflers rust out in a couple of years.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

my 95 etc (120K at the time) started to sound like a rod bearing was bad, maybe like the machine gun you describe ??? anyway it was the catalytic converter ... as it turned out, the noise faded away within a week and some time passed before I replaced the cat, but it was definately bad. The replacement from a local muffler shop with a high flow cat was 158.25 ... not too bad. I went back the next week and replace the mufflers with dynamax super turbos .... thats another story :)

Rmax -- with the low-restriction cat and the dynamax turbos, what is your take on performance and economy? I have half the package and am thinking a low-restriction cat for the future. A big difference and a lower price would move that to the near term. My quote for a simple replacement cat was about $250. Who will do a low-restriction cat for $158.25? I want to talk to them. A part number would be good here.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Jim ... if you want to drive it out to Sunnyvale, Ca I can hook you up. I did a similar trip in 60hrs elapsed.

Seriously, the cat is listed as a Carsound Hiflow 3" Cat 5.9L, Part # C94009, the installer charged $100 for it and installed it for $50. For any of you in the south bay the shop is Modern Muffler, 1073 E El Camino Real, Sunnyvale.

Don't know about the fuel economy difference yet with the new set up, always have my foot into it :). It is faster, esp at speed ... 60-80-100 and beyond is quite the experience ... The mufflers are Dynamax 17733, 14"/2.5".

sorry for hijacking the thread ...

Carsound is the parent company of Dynamax, with is their turbo and performance exhaust company. It's likely an excellent quality cat. I didn't turn up the exact part number on a web search but I did turn up several other high-flow catalytic converters for 1996-1999 ETC/STS in teh $150-$180 range plus installation.

I already have Borlas that show two inches of daylight through them and give my car a nice tiger-purr exhaust note that even my wife likes. What is holding me back on the high-flow cat is

• The shop that put in the Borlas said my existing cat was good.
  • The same shop said that I didn't need a high-flow cat.
  • The price he quoted before he saw the cat and pronounced it good was about $250 for a standard flow cat; I didn't ask him for a price on a high-flow cat.
  • Now that I have the Borlas I can hear the cat, and it does begin to restrict above 5,000 rpm, but I don't need a slight improvement in the 5,000-6200 rpm range enough to pay $250 or more.

It sounds like I can have a high-flow cat for under $200 installed. What I have to watch out for is to get one with all the right post-oxygen sensor fitting. Mine's a CA car, and some listings say that makes a difference, although I don't think that it does because there's no mention of it in the FSM. Mine has a built-in heat shield on the bottom that I would like to see on the new one because I hate car fires.

I already have Borlas that show two inches of daylight through them and . . . . .

My '95 Eldorado was something of a whore, exhaust-wise. I wish I had those mufflers on my current '98.

They cruised quietly, but roared when I was on the pedal. darn! I wish I had them on my '98. And NO, I didn't write DARN!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Warren: You can get Borlas, either general replacement turbo or ProXS series, online for a wide range of prices. The ProXS series is proably less quiet, but I have them because the general replacements were out of stock all over the country when my car was disabled and I got the ProXS flavor. At 65 mph cruise, with the windows closed and the radio on, mine are inaudible. Blowing past trucks with open windows at WOT has been observed to cause them to cringe, belatedly moving over to give me more room.

There is another brand of turbo stainless steel mufflers that I have seen highly recommended here, but I don't recall the brand.

Cost for Borla general replacement turbos should be about $200 each or a little less. The ProXS series have about the same list price but go for a little less online, and I have seen them for as little at $67 -- which I felt was too good to be true (we had them but are out of stock and now, reordering, they seem to be $150 now...), but going price is about $150. Installation, using your stock tips, should be about $100.

See my car blog on this board for pictures of my Borla installation.

A lot to think about there.

Thanks,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I think it's time I got a WAV file and posted it. I've figured out a way but it may take some work. I'll try to get it up this weekend.

Archived