CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blower motor.......alternative

canadian95sts

Here i am again having to replace my blower motor. Last time i got a used one from a scrap yard after a long and extensive search.

I was doing some searching around, and on the delco website, when i punch in my year and model, i get the part number for the replacement blower. I then clicked on vehicles, to see what else it would fit, and i see that a 98 S-10 with the vin code - H also takes this motor.

The thing is, on the Delco site, when you search for a blower motor for the 98 S-10, and go to the vehicle list, it says nothing about being compatible with a Cadillac???

Does anyone know if they are compatible?, or am i misreading the information. I checked a few local scrap yards and can get the "S-10" blower motor for WAY less than the Caddy one. I was thinking of going and getting one to plug in, just to see if it will work?

What do you guys think? If it does work, it would be a nice less expensive alternative. I know sometimes when you are looking for parts and say the name CADILLAC, you see dollar signs in the eyes of the partsguy, even though the part will fit various vehicles.

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

Check the part number. If the part number is the same, then it's the same part.

New, from anyone, the part should be the same price out of either catalog.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

All things considered, I don't think I'd go for a recycled part in this crucial application.

Looking back on it, canadian95sts, how would you advise others?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

the part number is key, natch, but could the blower you are comparing not be the main one. i mean, on my etc there is a rear blower that is much less expensive, it sits in the rear of the console for the back seat area. it would be surprising that the main blower on our caddy's would also be used in an S-10.

Incedentally, I replaced mine ~4 years ago with a new one. the new ones have corrected the weakness that i understand might have to do with proximity to the rear spark plug wires. still working.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey I finally looked it up with the dealer, and you are 100% right!

It's the same Delco part.

The differece in price is all in what you say it's for!?

Stupid if you ask me?

But go for it buddy, I know I would in a heartbeat!

I think it's awesome you found this little glitch......figures GM would try to burn the Cadillac owner eh?

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Hey I finally looked it up with the dealer, and you are 100% right!

It's the same Delco part.

The differece in price is all in what you say it's for!?

Stupid if you ask me?

But go for it buddy, I know I would in a heartbeat!

I think it's awesome you found this little glitch......figures GM would try to burn the Cadillac owner eh?

Big Jay

This has been an urban legend for years. I have a 69 Corvette and I always looked for the same part on another model because when you say it is for a corvette the parts guy sees $$$$. On my 65 Falcon I even bought a part number cross reference manual.

I recall replacing a tie rod end years ago on an early '70's Deville. I found out at the parts store that a Chevy tie rod was the same part number for half the price. That's down right unethical. :angry:

"TGTBT" ....good acro..

Well, several weeks ago. I spent 30 minutes or so, when this post came out. Into checking if the 2 motors were in fact the same.

At that time. Based on the information provided. The 2 blower motors were actually not the same. The blower wiring diagrams were different.

We could be wrong....but chances are there is a mis-print somewhere.

I was given the same one for my 92 Seville and it did bolt right up and work, just that the fan cage blades were angled the opposite of my old fan. Check that first. I do have the S-10 fan if you are interested and I can send it to ya cheap. It works perfectly. Let me know.

2008 BMW 328xi

2007 Chrysler Aspen

2001 Cadillac Seville STS

2000 Ford Ranger XLT
1998 Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible

1996 Saturn SC-1
1991 Ford F-150
1979 Chevrolet Caprice
1968 Ford LTD
1965 VW Beetle "Herbie The Love Bug Replica**

1961 VW Beetle

In 1994, the blower on the Seville/STS changed. A 1992 style fan will not work on a 1994-1997. The 1994-1997 blower has a internal blower control module.

Try www.rockauto.com and you find this:

1996 Cadillac STS blower motor. AC/Delco # 1580205. $232.

1998 Chevrolet S10. Vin H (which by the way is the electric powered S10). Blower motor is AC/Delco # 1580173. $44.

Also tried 1998 Chevrolet S10. Vin W. Same AC/Delco # 1580173. $44.

There is a misprint somewhere....

Thanks for all the replies,

I ended up replacing my old blower with a new one. Believe me, its easier the second time around. :blink:

When i took the old one apart, i found that there are two ceramic?? peices inside that were cracked right in half. Not sure what they are or if that is the cause for the motor dying, gonna have a buddy take a look at it just to see what went wrong for sure.

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

the way I heard it, "A friend will help you move ... BUT, a true friend will help you move a body."

:P

the way I heard it, "A friend will help you move ... BUT, a true friend will help you move a body."

Ain't that the truth! :lol:

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Matt.

Didn't you end up putting in the S10 blower?

Big Jay :huh:

Life is too short to grow up!

Archived