CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gear Select Problem

pwilluttley

Hello All -

I have a problem with my 91 cadillac seville that doesn't make sense. It has the 4.9L V8. A few weeks ago, the car would suddenly die after which I would get a message on the DIC which read "Gear Select Problem". Also, it would set the code E091 which is defined as a problem with the PRNDL switch.

So, I replaced and adjusted the switch but I still have the same problem. When the problem occurs and the engine dies, the engine still cranks but it won't start. That doesn't make sense if it is the PRNDL switch causing the problem because as I understand it the starter would not crank at all if that were the problem. Under normal conditions, when I move the shift lever the LED indicator on the drivers dash will move to the selected gear position as I move the lever. In contrast, immediately after the engine dies and the "gear select problem" message is displayed on the DIC, all of the gear select positions on the drivers dash are illuminated? It doesn't make sense.

It's steadily getting worse. Now all I have to do is turn the key on without even cranking the engine and I will get the error message displayed on the DIC and the engine will not start. On top of that whenever I get the error message, the fan motor will run until the error message goes away - about 5 to 10 minutes. I can then start the engine, but it usually will die again after idling a few minutes displaying the same "gear select problem" on the DIC.

Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

Archived