CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Electric fan noise

boricua3131

Hello fellow members,

I started hearing a loud clicking noise coming from the front of my Seville. Seems as if the fan shroud is touching the fins on the passenger side fan. I don't know why or where it would be touching, but this is absolutely annoying :blink: .

Tomorrow, I would like to resolve this problem, but need some help from you guys in gaining access to this area. I already ordered a factory manual, but will not get it until next week.

Anyone ever had this problem?

With the engine off, spin each fan by hand and determine just what the fan is hitting.

Possibly a piece of road debris was thrown up and caught near the fan. Also check at the bottom of the fan for the wire loom touching the fan ring while spinning.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

With the engine off, spin each fan by hand and determine just what the fan is hitting.

Possibly a piece of road debris was thrown up and caught near the fan. Also check at the bottom of the fan for the wire loom touching the fan ring while spinning.

-George

Ok...I spun the fan and do not hear any noise until I lightly press down on the shroud. I do not see any debris / wire loom is out of the way. Too tight of an area to see any better.

I am thinking of just pulling the whole thing out to get a better look.

-George

Ok...I spun the fan and do not hear any noise until I lightly press down on the shroud. I do not see any debris / wire loom is out of the way. Too tight of an area to see any better.

I am thinking of just pulling the whole thing out to get a better look.

Stab in the dark...is perhaps your hood pressing down on the fan shroud somehow when it's down? Or are you hearing it with the hood up as well? Maybe the bearings in your fan are worn and have a little play in them and with centrifugal force, the fan blades hit the shroud while it's running, and not when spinning by hand.

I can tell you this much........ you will not hear it at all if the car is on a completely flat surface....... but once I am on a decline / incline,( or even push the car up and down) here comes the loud clicking. What's wierd is that once the fans come on with no noise....I push down softly on the radiator's left side, and the clicking begins. This car has never been in an accident , so I do not know where this would all start from.

The clicking comes on with the hood open or closed.

It is hard to see below the fan area, hence a good flashlight.

Please see the attached image for what the connection looks like.

Note:

I have tied the wire loom to the AC pipe with a nylon tie strap. The abraded tape on the loom is what happens when the loom gets loose and slips under the spinning fan.

It may help if you look at the area from under the car, and of course a cool engine will keep the cursing down.

I have pressed down quite hard all over the fan shroud and mine is quite solid, Maybe you have lost a screw or two that holds the fan tight to the shroud. When you grip the fan motor there should not be any loose feeling. If there is look for the loose or missing screws.

-George

Image is taken standing in front of the car, looking down at the passenger side fan.

post-141-1163894874.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

It is hard to see below the fan area, hence a good flashlight.

Please see the attached image for what the connection looks like.

Note:

I have tied the wire loom to the AC pipe with a nylon tie strap. The abraded tape on the loom is what happens when the loom gets loose and slips under the spinning fan.

It may help if you look at the area from under the car, and of course a cool engine will keep the cursing down.

I have pressed down quite hard all over the fan shroud and mine is quite solid, Maybe you have lost a screw or two that holds the fan tight to the shroud. When you grip the fan motor there should not be any loose feeling. If there is look for the loose or missing screws.

-George

Image is taken standing in front of the car, looking down at the passenger side fan.

Man, that is tight in there! :o

Archived