CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2 - 2000 dts's, differences

CoupeDTS

Ok i have a 00 dts silver w/ black interior SE grille. My friend liked it so much he found a black 00 dts with the dark interior. IMO the nicest looking color combos, not the coolest paint caddy offers. Kinda pointless. Anyway we have been comparing them. In the engine bay on top of the back valve cover, or whatever you would call it, he has a thing, almost fist sized with maybe a 1 inch hose going to it and a vacuum line off the throttle body goes to it. I dont have that at all. The line that would go to it is capped off at the throttle body on mine. What is it? Also he has kinda high miles, 86k. I have 3 common unimportant codes on my car, he has 16! only drivetrain one is P0420. Thats probably the one thats turns his SES light on. I looked it up to see what it is but what do you do to fix that one? What is it? Also when he starts his car cold it idles at 1200-1300, mine goes to 900-1000, it is cold out too but still its sounds like its really reving. Any help you got I would appreciate it.

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

until it starts to get to operating temp then it will idle somewhat high to prevent a stall, will also shift quicker to prevent premature high rpms.

As far as the differences I would need a picture to really figure it out. Probibly something obvious but I'm not quite getting what it is.

It could be they moved a sensor or something from one year to the other.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I think what you are talking about on the cam cover is an AIR (Air Injection Reactor) pump valve. There should be one or near on the front cam cover as well (close to the water pump belt shroud). If they are both 2000's, I can't imagine one having it and one not unless someone removed it for some reason.

P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency

Sounds like maybe a bad CAT.

Idle sounds about right, but clean the TB and see how it idles then. It's most likely due anyway.

Sounds like a good start. To clean the TB what exactly should i do? I used to buy that GM cleaner and run it through my other GM cars vacuum lines and it worked awesome. I did it to my old 99 seville and it ruined the fuel pressure regulator somehow and I dont want to go through that again. Should I just spray cleaner in it while its running?

* 1966 Deville Convertible

* 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

* 1996 Fleetwood Brougham Black on Black V4P -Gone
* 1983 Coupe Deville Street/Show Lowrider -Gone

* 1970 Calais 4dr Hardtop GONE
* 2000 Deville DTS - Silver with Black Leather and SE grille GONE
* 1999 Seville STS - Pearl Red GONE

Just pull the intake ducting. Hold the throttle plate open (engine off) and spray the TB bore with Gumout or such and scrub the carbon off with a toothbrush and a rag til clean. Also clean the back side of the throttle plate and the plate perimiter. You'll be amazed at the amount of carbon in there.

Just pull the intake ducting. Hold the throttle plate open (engine off) and spray the TB bore with Gumout or such and scrub the carbon off with a toothbrush and a rag til clean. Also clean the back side of the throttle plate and the plate perimiter. You'll be amazed at the amount of carbon in there.

While spraying, put a rag down in the bottom of the TB to catch all the carbon crud that will blow EVERWHERE if you dont. Use an intake or TB cleaner and NOT choke cleaner.

Are there EGR tubes in the TB of the 00 Deville? If so,you want to clean those out as well. I used a brass gun cleaning tip and rod, and a wire hanger as well.

Archived