CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Blower on Before Coolant Warms

WarrenJ

Well I've spent some time on recreational FSM reading and I haven't found any info that helps me.

In the morning when I start the car and heat is called for, the blower comes on immediately without regard to the fact the coolant temperature has not yet exceeded 125 degrees (or is it 105 degrees? I forget). A minor inconvenience now, but it will be a serious annoyance when those cold blustery mornings arrive (thank the gods for heated seats).

When I exit the car the evening before, its left on AUTO @ 70 degrees.

Both analog and digital temperature readings are fine, so I'm guessing the PCM is receiving accurate temperature readings.

Anyone enjoyed this before? Am I making some simple error?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The blower kicks on quickly in mine, if that's any help. I never looked to see if the coolant temp is at a particular point before the fan kicks in, but I'll try to take note tomorrow. From memory, it seems the blower is on within 30 seconds or so of startup.

On the other hand, I park the car indoors, and the garage is never really below 60 degrees or so.

IIRC, the "purge" cycle is supposed to lightly blow air thru the defroster vents to prevent the driver's breath from fogging the windshield.

That's not my problem however. It blows thru the dash and floor vents just as though I were driving along normally with heat commanded.

Additionally, the MODE switch accurately redirects airflow as I choose.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 1 month later...

Bump.

Not trying to be annoying, but I just thought maybe someone might have a suggestion after some time has passed and subconcious thoughts have had a chance to roll around inside some of the brighter skulls here.

It's hardly a tragedy, but it *IS* a bit of a nuisance.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

IIRC, the "purge" cycle is supposed to lightly blow air thru the defroster vents to prevent the driver's breath from fogging the windshield.

That's not my problem however. It blows thru the dash and floor vents just as though I were driving along normally with heat commanded.

Additionally, the MODE switch accurately redirects airflow as I choose.

Regards,

Warren

Hmmm...on heat (e.g. >= 80 deg.) it only blows in through the floor vents ('94 ETC). I checked this against my Owner's Manual and that seems correct. Why I can't get heat through the main vents I don't know... <_<

<!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->2007 DTS Performance - 50K

<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

As a matter of fact, I <i>am</i> driving 70 MPH in a phone booth.

Well I've spent some time on recreational FSM reading and I haven't found any info that helps me.

In the morning when I start the car and heat is called for, the blower comes on immediately without regard to the fact the coolant temperature has not yet exceeded 125 degrees (or is it 105 degrees? I forget). A minor inconvenience now, but it will be a serious annoyance when those cold blustery mornings arrive (thank the gods for heated seats).

When I exit the car the evening before, its left on AUTO @ 70 degrees.

Both analog and digital temperature readings are fine, so I'm guessing the PCM is receiving accurate temperature readings.

Anyone enjoyed this before? Am I making some simple error?

Regards,

Warren

I know that if i set my climate control to auto, the fan will not come on until the temp is up. However, if i select defrost, the fan will come on right away. Definatley strange what is happening though.

Matt

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

I select AUTO @ 70 degrees before I shut down the vehicle.

Without regard to what position the MODE switch has engaged, air blows correctly through the MODE selected vents from the momemt the car is started.

There is *NO DELAY* before the car has "warmed up." It simply doesn't wait until coolant temperature has reached a preset temperature before it blows air (COLD!).

Ignition ON = Blower ON.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Definitly not normal. I'm going to check my FSM and see if there's a seperate temp switch the acc uses or if its the same one the PCM uses.

Update: OK I checked my FSM (1995) and it says under "cold purge" which I take to be the cold lock out feature.

"Normal operation will resume after either of the following conditions have been met:

Program number would result in cooling.

Coolant temperature is above 36 c (97 f)

Also it says this depends on outside temperature. You need to check that sensor.

The ACM does get coolant temp from the PCM so that should be OK

I'm thinking that with your HVAC set at 70 degrees maybe theres not enough diference between that and the outside temp. What's the ambient temp when this happens? I would try setting the temp at 85 degrees and see if it still does it.

Archived