CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Who says cadillacs don't get good mpg

JIMDTS

I went on a short trip today and put about 230 miles on the 01 dts about 30 or so of that driving was in stop & go city traffic the other 200 just driving along the freeway Here's the proof 23mpg not as good as it could be but I'm very happy with that a couple guys at work do not believe cadillac can get this type mpg I tell them I have had 26 & 27 mph & they just look at me like I'm nuts.I was bored so while on the cell phone I took a quick pic

Jim

IPB Image

Yeah, I averaged 23 mpg on trips for years, and I've got the 300 hp engine with the lower gear ratio. Recently I put on Borlas that have improved my mileage per tank but I haven't had a chance to test the trip mileage yet. Some 275-hp Northstar owners report regularly getting 24 or 25 mpg average on trips.

Of course, you need to use the lead foot in moderation to get the best mileage. My mileage is better when my wife is along. :rolleyes:

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ford recently was able to change their mpg rating for the 07 Focus by 3 mpg; the explanation was that 1/2 was due to changes in when they have an intake valve open, and the other 1/2 was due to swapping to low rolling resistance tires. Keeping in mind that manufacturers have to work to get 0.1 mpg's at a time, this seems like a remarkable difference just due to swapping tires.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

The Guru (what was his name again?) once said a powertrain engineer would trade his/her sister for a 1% gain in fuel economy. That says a lot to me about the fuel efficiency of modern engines.

It also says something about the fuel line magnets and turbonator claims on late-night infomercials!

What is the ride/handling trade-off for lower rolling resistance tires?

Picture to follow.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Ford recently was able to change their mpg rating for the 07 Focus by 3 mpg; the explanation was that 1/2 was due to changes in when they have an intake valve open, and the other 1/2 was due to swapping to low rolling resistance tires. Keeping in mind that manufacturers have to work to get 0.1 mpg's at a time, this seems like a remarkable difference just due to swapping tires.

I will keep THAT in mind when I need new tires. I also took a 600 mile trip over the weekend. Averaged 20.5 for the trip, with some of that in Houston traffic. My problem is I have a lead foot and the springs on the accelerator are not very strong. :) Also mine turns more RPM at that speed which usually means burning more gas. Came back from the N side of Houston to the W side of FT. Worth in about 3.5 hours. Thats almost 250 miles. All in all I am satisfied with my mileage. Most of the reason I don't get better mileage is my own fault. It runs SO GOOD around 90 to 95 MPH or so. Thats where it seems happy to run and I don't like an unhappy Cadillac. :):)

Posted Image

Tires play a big part in mpg along with tire pressues When going on a trip I always air up the tires but I usually like them at 30psi to 32 psi cold then they gain a couple pounds when they heat up these devilles are sensitive to tire pressue too hard they really ride hard One time I had the tire shop air the tires the idiot aired them up to 40pis I had to pull of the freway and let some air out As I was driving I thought was the F is wrong I checked the tire pressure via the tpms and problem found Lucky I had a tire gauge in the trunk

Dallas to Chicago (Technically Plano - Woodstock)

Fuel used - 36 Gallons

Avg. MPG - 26.3 (per the onboard computer, 25.8 by my calculation)

Avg Cruising speed - 70

Distance - 930 Miles

Total running time 13:55

Tires play a big part in mpg along with tire pressues When going on a trip I always air up the tires but I usually like them at 30psi to 32 psi cold then they gain a couple pounds when they heat up these devilles are sensitive to tire pressue too hard they really ride hard One time I had the tire shop air the tires the idiot aired them up to 40pis I had to pull of the freway and let some air out As I was driving I thought was the F is wrong I checked the tire pressure via the tpms and problem found Lucky I had a tire gauge in the trunk

I agree with the statement about tire pressure. My DTS has 245x50x18 inch tires on it. Low profile. They ride real rough ... for a Cadillac. Around town I try to keep them 30 or 31 in the rear, 32 or 33 in the front. They seem to be wearing pretty even across the entire tire so I "THINK" I have them about right. Going on a trip ... 32 rear 34 front. They handle fantastic on curves or if you have to make a sudden unexpected manuver. I have to trade off the smooth ride for handling I suppose. Reckon I could put some tires on it that are not as low profile, but it probably would not handle as good. The tread width is almost 9 inches and sidewall to sidewall is almost 10 inches. Fairly large tires. :)

Posted Image

I'm averaging 20.3 overall. Almost all of that is a result of my 45 mile round trip to work each day. Approximately 10-12 of those miles are on four lane local roads. The remainder is on the highway at 70mph.

I'm very pleased; my coworkers think I'm lying.

EDIT: My '95 averaged 19.5 under the same conditions.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

On my wifes dts or if she drives mine for a few days I check the avg mpg about 14 or 15mpg

VBG it's cold outside she will start the car go back in the house maybe let it run 10 minutes with the heater on then drive few miles go to the store or mall then the same thing the next day when you just idle it sure is hard to get any good mpg Sometimes when I fill up the cars & reset the dic settings I have to remeber her driving habbits or I think some thing is wrong but it's not all normal for her.If it's real hot in the summer time she will do the same thing let it idle until the car cools off..

Jim

an ugly 13.6, it's colder and I think the exhaust problem is also hurting mileage. Have been doing alot of short trips too, that'll bring both the MPG and oil life down.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I've been very pleased with my gas mileage. Although, not my highest MPG but I think most impressive. Driving across the desert from San Diego to Florida.

1100 miles in one day

Average MPH on DIC: 89.0 mph

Average MPG on DIC: 21.0 mpg

Yes that is 89mph. This is with stops for food and gas as well. I would really like to see what an economy car would get at that speed in desert heat.

IPB Image

I get reasonable in my caddy(99 seville), driving it reasonable on the highway I can average close to 28mpg at about 105 km/h, computer says its 24 avg city and highway. It sucks for city driving. :angry:

since you mention ECO car...my other car *cough* 95 firefly *cough* 3 cyl 5 speed, I get around 40 mpg, Driving it really hard will get me about 35 mpg. Really hard for that car is only 130 km/h though... I've substained that for about 3 hours in that car(thats almost foot to the floor the whole time LOL) and still got about 35 mpg....

an ugly 13.6, it's colder and I think the exhaust problem is also hurting mileage. Have been doing alot of short trips too, that'll bring both the MPG and oil life down.

Can you give us a better idea of your overall driving? Sorry, I don't remember your exhaust problem.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

My brother works for Ford at the emissions control & testing lab. This is where the wind tunnel & test track is in Dearborn. He says when they test the cars for fuel milage the tire pressures are 50 psi or so. That psi creates a low rolling resistance tire. Must be someone forgot to air up the tires.

My brother works for Ford at the emissions control & testing lab. This is where the wind tunnel & test track is in Dearborn. He says when they test the cars for fuel milage the tire pressures are 50 psi or so. That psi creates a low rolling resistance tire. Must be someone forgot to air up the tires.

Okay, I'll try 60psi. :lol::lol::lol:

Posted Image

Can you give us a better idea of your overall driving? Sorry, I don't remember your exhaust problem.

Regards,

Warren

Well my exhaust info is here: http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...c=11442&hl=

And I've been doing lots of short trips, sometimes enough to get the engine warm, other not, and I haven' be able to make a red light in days it feels.....they seem longer to.....its one of them series of events that if I accidentally dropped my keys I might just say "Oh god why have you forsaken me on the road" :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

. . . . and I haven' be able to make a red light in days it feels.....they seem longer to.....

Gotcha. :D

Posted Image

Archived