CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Valve cover removal

z10kl

Okay, I got my factory service manual out and looked it up for you. After removing the water pump drive pulley from the cover, the book says lift up the front of the cover approx 10 inches. Then it says lift the rear edge up against the oil dipstick tube while holding the front suspended (?). Then, while holding in that position, it says to swing the cover back over the intake manifold while sliding the entire cover over the camshaft. The illustration shows the left side sliding over the intake manifold. As usual the book makes it sound too easy, but that is what it says.

Charles

Charles

As usual the book makes it sound too easy, but that is what it says.

Charles

Gee, that's never happened to me! :lol::lol::lol:

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yep. :(

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

z10kl,

I also had some serious difficulty removing the front valve cover when I needed to. It took yanking (in frustration I will admit) back towards me and slightly to my right (facing windshield) to get it to let go. It broke a VERY small piece of the inside of the valve cover where the holes for the plugs are but NOT where it mates with head to seal, so not a huge deal. I found the piece and all was right with the world. It was one of the FEW times where something went back together easier than it came apart.

I had to bend the body where the forward right corner of the cover (sitting in car) side hit to get it out but it bent right back with almost no visual evidence of having done so.

Good luck! :P

z10kl,

I also had some serious difficulty removing the front valve cover when I needed to. It took yanking (in frustration I will admit) back towards me and slightly to my right (facing windshield) to get it to let go. It broke a VERY small piece of the inside of the valve cover where the holes for the plugs are but NOT where it mates with head to seal, so not a huge deal. I found the piece and all was right with the world. It was one of the FEW times where something went back together easier than it came apart.

I had to bend the body where the forward right corner of the cover (sitting in car) side hit to get it out but it bent right back with almost no visual evidence of having done so.

Good luck! :P

[/quoteThanks carl I was wondering if I was an idiot or not. Your description sounds just like what I am running into but I was afraid to force it for fear of breaking it. I will try again with a little more gusto. It has to come up and slide to the drivers side to clear the waterpump shaft

Archived