CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

01 deville

JIMDTS

I worked on the 01 dts today then had a 4 wheel alignment done. I decided to keep the 01 for awhile. So I went through the whole car & did what ever it needed Just normal wear stuff new rear shocks, new rack & pinion steering ,tie rod ends, LF wheel hub, power steering high pressure hose it was well worth it to do these things it really rides nice now the new rear shock improved the ride darn car is better shape now that when I purchased it. Maybe next week I will see what else can be done not much the car has fairly low mileage for an 01 almost 50k on the clock I'm getting too old to do this work or it's just too LAZY I wanted to go to the shooting range today INSTEAD of working on the car.

Jim

ON the deville dts it was easier to pull the power steering pump in my case since I did the complete rack & pinion not sure about the easiest way on the sts I imagine you could pull the pump out so you can get at the line easier. It give you some room to work on it from the top in my case.

You really do not have to remove the pump

Here's the how to from the service manual no picture though it gives you the details It's a pain in the a-- but not that bad.

Jim

Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement LHD

Removal Procedure

Install a drain pan under the vehicle.

Remove the power steering pressure hose from the power steering pump.

Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.

Remove the power steering gear heat shield. Refer to Power Steering Gear Heat Shield Replacement .

Remove the fascia extension panel. Refer to Fascia Extension Replacement - Front in Body Front End.

Remove the power steering pressure hose bracket retaining nut (2) at the cylinder head.

Disconnect the power steering pressure hose from the bracket (2) at the frame.

Disconnect the power steering pressure hose from the power steering gear.

Remove the power steering pressure hose from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Install the power steering pressure hose to the vehicle.

Connect the power steering pressure hose to the bracket (2) at the frame.

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the power steering pressure hose to the power steering gear. Tighten

Tighten the power steering pressure hose to power steering gear to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

Install the power steering pressure hose bracket and retaining nut to the cylinder head. Tighten

Tighten power steering pressure hose bracket retaining nut (2) to cylinder head to 9 N·m (8 lb in).

Install the fascia extension panel. Refer to Fascia Extension Replacement - Front in Body Front End.

Install the power steering gear heat shield. Refer to Power Steering Gear Heat Shield Replacement .

Lower the vehicle.

Install the power steering pressure hose to the power steering pump. Tighten

Tighten the power steering pressure hose to power steering pump to 27 N·m (20 lb ft).

Remove the drain pan from under the vehicle.

Bleed the power steering system. Refer to Bleeding the Power Steering System .

I replaced the power steering pressure hose on my 2001 DTS 3 weekends ago, and it was a 7 hour job. I'm sure a person with average skills could do it in less, but it is a pain if you are doing it with the car up on jack stands as opposed to a hoist. The procedure looks pretty simple in the shop manual, except every second step refers you to another page, which becomes another sub-operation, such as removing the stabilizer shaft links in order to rotate the stabilizer shaft out of the way before you can remove the heat shield. The small nut that holds the power steering hose bracket to the side of the head is also a bitc* to get at. It only took me an hour and a half to get the old hose disconnected and out, the fun started trying to get the new five foot long line fed through the too small openings, since it is not that flexible. I made sure to put a small plastic bag over the flared open end of the line before feeding it through all the twists and turns to keep it from picking up contamination. Don't take a short cut by passing on removing the heat shield. I didn't think it would be in the way, but once I removed it, the job was much easier.

Hi Terry

That hose is a pain in the a-- mine was not too bad I started working on the car early 5:30 am & was done at 2:pm I did the power steering hose, rack & pinion,tie rods wheel bearing(hub) & both rear shocks I have a lot of tools air tools helped big time I've been an aircraft mechanic for a long time I'm used of working in very tight spaces evrything went well at 3pm I was at the shop getting the car aligned up. So I had a good day work wise but I was really flying trying to make my 3pm appointment to get the car aligned up My wife helped out by making me a sandwich & coffee so I didn't have to take a lunch break I just kept working on it until I was done.

Jim

Hi Terry

That hose is a pain in the a-- mine was not too bad I started working on the car early 5:30 am & was done at 2:pm I did the power steering hose, rack & pinion,tie rods wheel bearing(hub) & both rear shocks I have a lot of tools air tools helped big time I've been an aircraft mechanic for a long time I'm used of working in very tight spaces evrything went well at 3pm I was at the shop getting the car aligned up. So I had a good day work wise but I was really flying trying to make my 3pm appointment to get the car aligned up My wife helped out by making me a sandwich & coffee so I didn't have to take a lunch break I just kept working on it until I was done.

Jim

That was a lot of work and you did it quickly, good job

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

What was wrong with the steering rack?

And, where did you find and what are the rear shock replacements?

Hi Scotty & Logan

Scotty

I was lucky it all went well everything came apart & went back together with no issues it would have been nice to have a hoist but air tools sure helped out it was a pain in the a-- workin with floor jacks & jack stands crawling around sure slows you down

Logan

The rack had a lot of side play when you would grab a wheel & really rock the top you could feel all the side play plus if you looked real hard you could see weeping (wet) starting at the end of the rack no leaks

The shocks & rack are delco ones that I picked up at the dealer. The rear shocks made a big improvement in the ride & quietnees over bumps in the car on the top of the rear shocks is a rubber that dries out gets hard and makes a popping sound going over bumps and stuff mine were ready to go bad so they were dried out and hard and was getting loud going over small bumps it was time to replace the wear items and put the car in good shape..

Archived