CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Recalls done?

fs98sim

Is there anyway to find out if the recalls applicable to ones car have been accomplished, besides asking the dealer? Im the second owner of my 2002 STS. Just curious to know if we could find out thru a website or something.

Thanks Mario

2002 STS

Yes, you can call Cadillac, they have a toll free telephone number in the USA and they will actually record you as the new owner of the car and will let you know if it needs any work done under a recall. Be sure to have the FULL vehicle identification number handy when you make the call, they will need it.

Inside the U.S.: 1-800-333-4CAD

Inside Canada: 1-800-263-3777

International Inquiries: 1-905-644-4112

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

As a fellow owner of one of these cars (same year), I'm pretty sure there weren't any recalls... Not there shouldn't have been...

1) The crank sensors on your car will go and need to be replaced (if they haven't already been) this usually happens just off of warranty

2) The Catalytic converters on this year (of most GMs) are crap and will plug at around 60,000 mile and will need to be replaced under federal warranty

3) The CD stacker and radio (on early 02 builds) do not get along all that well and the CD stacker will drop from the list of options... The only solution is to replace the radio... If the car is off warranty this is expensive. And

4) Most Trunks leak at the body seams

BTW GM knows about all four of these problems... and they have existed since the car was new... If your car suffers from any/all of these and it is off warranty, I'd call GM HQ and plead your case.

As a final note, fix these four things and the car is amazingly solid, fun and reliable.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Thanks for the reply's guys

Today i took my cadi to the dealer to take care of a few issues.

1- the infamous p1860 & p0741 tranny codes.

2- Service stability sytem Message Abs code c1287

3- clunking noise in steering column when making slow turns.

I have sealed up the water leak in the trunk

Dont seem to have cat , cd , or crank sensors problems yet.

but your right it is a fun car to drive.

Mario

2002 STS 76000 miles

Mario

2002 STS 76000 miles

Re the clunking noise... You need to have the intermediate shaft replaced... GM has a TSB on this too... some dealers might do this for free, even if the car is off warranty. Most won't though...

caddy.jpg

Greg

Mario

2002 STS 76000 miles

Re the clunking noise... You need to have the intermediate shaft replaced... GM has a TSB on this too... some dealers might do this for free, even if the car is off warranty. Most won't though...

Yes OnyxSTS thats what the good old Gm mechanic told me i could have the intermediate shaft replaced or just grease a bearing. But it didnt sound like they were gunna hook me up. They were gunna get back to me with a price on the shaft. (most likely give me the shaft) :(

Thanks, Mario

Yes OnyxSTS thats what the good old Gm mechanic told me i could have the intermediate shaft replaced or just grease a bearing. But it didnt sound like they were gunna hook me up. They were gunna get back to me with a price on the shaft. (most likely give me the shaft) :(

Thanks, Mario

You can try grease... that is what GM's original TSB on this problem said to do... after they noticed that, oh about, 100% of the cars were returned 6-8months later with the same problem, they then updated both the TSB and the intermediate shaft part.

While no special tools are needed, this project is not for those faint of heart... Step one... remove steering column...

caddy.jpg

Greg

Thanks, Mario

You can try grease... that is what GM's original TSB on this problem said to do... after they noticed that, oh about, 100% of the cars were returned 6-8months later with the same problem, they then updated both the TSB and the intermediate shaft part.

While no special tools are needed, this project is not for those faint of heart... Step one... remove steering column...

Yeh i read the updated tsb. ill probably have them replace the shaft. Im usually a do it your selfer but i dont feel like messing around with anything right now. This is the first time ive taken my car to the dealer for service, i just hope they do good work cause there is nothing i hate more than taking my car to a mechanic for one problem and having come back to me with a different problem. Thats why i usually do all my own work on the car. Ill just hope for the best and that they dont let me down.

Yeh i read the updated tsb. ill probably have them replace the shaft. Im usually a do it your selfer but i dont feel like messing around with anything right now. This is the first time ive taken my car to the dealer for service, i just hope they do good work cause there is nothing i hate more than taking my car to a mechanic for one problem and having come back to me with a different problem. Thats why i usually do all my own work on the car. Ill just hope for the best and that they dont let me down.

Good Luck with the dealer... I for one have had NO luck at mine... and that was after asking around as to which dealer in my location was "best"

Try to find a Cadillac ONLY dealer, or one that sell LOTS of these cars...

I hate to say this, but my experience with "Cadillac certified technicians" is that it takes them (on average) 2 tries to fix a problem. Non-certified technicians seem to have better luck on the first try.

Before I bought my car I was a hands on do it myself guy... However, with this car, I did not plan to do a lot of DIY work.... but my dealer has "forced" me to re think this, and I have added this car to my list of cars that do my own work on... This was partly due to encouragement from this site and partly due to one bad dealer visit after another... they ONLY time the dealer sees the car is if I need a Tech 2 Function done to complete a project... Luckily the number of times this car needs to be "Tech Two'ed" are very rare.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived