CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

No Start

SQPL Seville

Hello,I just received a 1995 STS.The car will not turn over..I mean the starter wont even click.So Im thinking its in the security system.When i open the doors with or without the keyless entry the security light will flash fast.Once the key is in the ignition i try to start the car.The only things that happens are that the Dic lights go blank and you hear a click in the engine compartment.I think its the key itself(i have only one key)or the starter.The only codes are So36+38(service ride control)New battery and also checked the cables... they both look good.Any ideas??Thank you

It sounds like either you have the wrong key or there's a Decoder Module problem. The PASS-key Decoder Module is in the trunk behind the finisher backer, which is attached by Velcro. It is on the right side and has one (1) harness connection. It is next to the Road Sensing Suspension Module, which as three (3) harness connections. I would first clean the key by wiping it.

Have you witnessed the key actually starting the car?

If you need a new key go to a Cadillac dealer and give them the vehicle's VIN number. You should bring the original title and a photo ID because I doubt they will order a new key without proof of ownership.

I haven't seen the car start.The owner said it ran fine but it sat for over two months and the battery died. The key unlocks the steering wheel.Also i have cleaned the key.Im sure its the right key for the car..Maybe the Vats is damaged?It reads 2.9 ohms which mean its a #9 Vats key.how can i tell if its the decoder Module?Thank you for all your help

It may be possible that the wires on the ignition lock cylinder fractured and as a result, the ECM is not seeing the key pellet - no matter what key you're using.

You can easily test the PASS key wires with a digital ohm-meter. Measure the resistance of the key pellet. Remove the hush panel under the dash and unplug the harness connectot that has two small white wires inside an orange jacket. It looks like modular phone wire. With the key in the ignition, measure the resistance between the pins on the ignition side of the PASS key harness - if it is close to the key pellet resistance, the lock cylinder wires are OK. If the resistance is infinite, the wires are broken at the ignition lock.

Access to the lock cylinder is gained by removing the airbag, steering wheel and lock ring. It is not that bad of a job but you do need some special tools - they are easy to fabricate. I did the job on my '93 Fleetwood a couple of years ago - It wouldn't crank and the PASS KEY FAULT light was displayed - once I removed the components to access the lock cylinder, I could see the broken wire. A new lock cylinder fixed the problem - I had it re-keyed to my existing ignition keys for $10 at a locksmith that my local dealer uses. I also made a "Cheater Cord" with the old lock cylinder wires and a resistor so if it ever acts up again, it won't strand me anywhere. :lol:

Im gonna try what KHE said in another post about the VATs problem in the morning.

Ignore my original post. Read the post wrong. Check for key and key cylinder wear. Can be worn out key cylinder or broken VATS wire.

Can also be bad starter enable relay. Under the carpet under the drivers door. (in car, not door).

Well i got it started!!!!I did what KHE did and ohmed the wires it read 2.9 like my pellet.But i also noticed corrosion on the female end of the plug.I used plastic safe contact cleaner and assembled every thing.turned the key and she started :)Thank you all for your help.

Glad you got it started - can't argue with success but if it were the VATS, you should have received the message WAIT 3 MINUTES on the DIC - it would then display WAIT 2 MINUTES and then "START CAR" should have appeared.

I would check the positive battery cables for corrosion - remove the negative cable first so you don't get a lesson in welding 101 if your wrench touches any metal parts :lol: Disassemble the cables and thouroughly clean them with a mixture of baking soda and water and rinse with plenty of water.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Try this for the security system...

put the key in the ignition,turn it on,do not attempt to start....wait a full ten minutes....the security light should go off.

turn key off.

turn key on...wait for security light to go off...should be in ten seconds.or so.....

If the light goes out...you're a winner......start the engine....

If not...check and insure full battery voltage to the starter.....if good....check starter...

RAY.... :rolleyes:

Archived