Dan

Actually, the curb weights according to my 1995 FSM are:

Seville STS - 3892.2 lbs

Seville SLS - 3832

Deville - 3757.7

Concours - 3893

Eldorado - 3773.8

Eldo ETC - 3818.4

The 4.9 Sevilles might be 3689 but not the Northstars.

So that would make a MINI about 1200 lbs lighter than a Seville

Yeah, look at the years, the 4th generation stuff includes the 4.9 engine.

Even at 1200 lbs lighter, it's still a heavy car for its size. Its dimensions are much smaller than a Seville and even most Jap cars. Ever drive one? It's exactly like driving a go-kart. Amazing steering.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Copied from that web page: Consumer Reports bases its reliability predictions in survey data from approximately 1.3 million vehicles owned by subscribers to its magazine and website.

This is my favourite part of the Con-Sumer Reports BS spin... If you read the fine print of their rag.. They say their reliability sample is based 1.3 million "responses" (not cars) the reality is that first you have to divide 1.3 million by the 10 model years they "report" on (130,000 samples) then divide that by the about 500 makes/models/sub-models (260) then divide that by the 10 categories that they do their little circle things for (engine/trans/electrical/etc) (26)... So they are basing their "evaluation" on a statistical sample of less then 30... I'd bet for most model/car years this number is less then 20.

On a sample that small... One bad response tilts the whole result... Further, Consumer reports is infamous for "bridging" results... if a 1999 STS scores a bad engine and a 2001 scores a bad engine then the 2000 is bad too... To be fair, usually this works... But don't forget that Con Reports editors know nothing about cars. They do not consider "model" changes, platform upgrades, etc...

They also don't consider different power train options, etc. They know this would divide the "26" down to a number less then 9...

In a sense, as they produce their charts their brains are turned off... Con Editors refuse to admit this, but :

1) like everyone else they have biases.

2) they are in the business of selling Mags. ( if 80% of the response come in for Japanese cars... the higher they rate those cars, the more mags they will sell)

3) they would need a sampling of about 10x their current sample (or 130 million) to really mean anything, or prove me wrong and print the sample size, based on actual cars, for each car and each model year...

To be fair, they do "leave" out some model years "due to insufficient responses" but they never say what an insufficient resource is... Fewer then 20? Fewer then 10? IMO any response of less then 100 is insufficient... If I were going to publish results I would require a sample of at-least 200

Sorry, but in my opinion their tables are mostly random, meaningless icons

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Good observation and analysis, Greg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks BbF... PS I like to call CNN "The Comedy News Network."

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

The list for unreliable luxury cars includes not only the STS but Mercedes, BMW and Jaguar models. These newer model luxury vehicles always have more return to dealer issues with their new electronics and gadgets which sometimes don't perform well or the vehicle owners don't really know how to use them ( STS Navigation system, BMW iDrive etc). The survey looks at the possibility of a new vehicle having to return for the dealer. I seriously doubt many of the issues are powertrain related with any the luxury vehicles. MB (Chrysler) have been consistent with electronics woes for years.

Copied from that web page: Consumer Reports bases its reliability predictions in survey data from approximately 1.3 million vehicles owned by subscribers to its magazine and website.

This is my favourite part of the Con-Sumer Reports BS spin... If you read the fine print of their rag.. They say their reliability sample is based 1.3 million "responses" (not cars) the reality is that first you have to divide 1.3 million by the 10 model years they "report" on (130,000 samples) then divide that by the about 500 makes/models/sub-models (260) then divide that by the 10 categories that they do their little circle things for (engine/trans/electrical/etc) (26)... So they are basing their "evaluation" on a statistical sample of less then 30... I'd bet for most model/car years this number is less then 20.

On a sample that small... One bad response tilts the whole result... Further, Consumer reports is infamous for "bridging" results... if a 1999 STS scores a bad engine and a 2001 scores a bad engine then the 2000 is bad too... To be fair, usually this works... But don't forget that Con Reports editors know nothing about cars. They do not consider "model" changes, platform upgrades, etc...

They also don't consider different power train options, etc. They know this would divide the "26" down to a number less then 9...

In a sense, as they produce their charts their brains are turned off... Con Editors refuse to admit this, but :

1) like everyone else they have biases.

2) they are in the business of selling Mags. ( if 80% of the response come in for Japanese cars... the higher they rate those cars, the more mags they will sell)

3) they would need a sampling of about 10x their current sample (or 130 million) to really mean anything, or prove me wrong and print the sample size, based on actual cars, for each car and each model year...

To be fair, they do "leave" out some model years "due to insufficient responses" but they never say what an insufficient resource is... Fewer then 20? Fewer then 10? IMO any response of less then 100 is insufficient... If I were going to publish results I would require a sample of at-least 200

Sorry, but in my opinion their tables are mostly random, meaningless icons

I remember the Guru posting awhile back about how one of the editors of C-R was at the GM Powertrain center and was asked if he wanted to evaluate one of the new Hummers. The editor declined saying that it probably wouldn't score well anyway.... Talk about BIAS... the guy had his mind made up without even sitting in the vehicle! The sad part is much of the public take what people like that say/print at face value...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks BbF... PS I like to call CNN "The Comedy News Network."

I like that it makes the point without getting too political :lol:

The sad part is much of the public take what people like that say/print at face value...

It's amazing how uneducated and sheep-like much of the public is. There is virtually no serious analysis anymore, all of the liberal press echos the same talking points and actual facts have no bearing. Its going to catch up to us. Its scary.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived