CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Continental AS tires mounted on fake DTS

Logan

Had Halloween off for the kids....this gave me time to get the new tires mounted and wheel alignment.

The tires are Tire Rack Continental AS. 235 55 17. $68 each shipped to the door. $280 total with shipping. Wow. Wear rating 520 vs Michelin 400. 3 tires had a May date code, one had a January date code. More on this latter...

Local Gemini Goodyear has Hunter 9700 per Hunter website. Lets try them.

Talked to the tire tech first, mentioned the Deville chassis requires near perfect tires. Mention mid 90's Ford Taurus and they know what you mean. I also slipped the tire tech $25 cash 'for lunch.' I also showed him the GM TSBs related to road force and the potential rear alignment issue causing vibration. If the rear toe is 'toe out' 1/16 of a inch it can cause a vibration thru the whole car. Strange but true.

Happy to see they use tire lube/soap to mount the tires. I see most tire stores no longer do this. I bet they are either taking a short cut or are required to keep a MSDS sheet on site in case of spills. Anyway, I consider this to be a critical step in mounting new tires. The sticker on the tire also insits on tire lube for mounting.

Three of the tires were fine related to road force. 12lb, 13lb, 13lb. One tire, the January one, came in @ 25lb. No good...had the tire mounted and installed on the rear.

Called Tire Rack and mentioned the one tire was showing 25lb on the Hunter 9700. No problem, replacement tire was sent and was here in 2 days. They'll even have UPS pick up the old one from my door in 10 days. No charge. Wow again..

Had the replacement tire mounted this morning. Best of the lot @ 7lb. It has a October tire date.

Related to this car. I always felt the engine cradle was mounted too loose. This car has stiffened cradle mounts, stiffened engine mounts, stiffened upper strut mounts. Sort of like a 2006 DTS.

After 3 sets of wiggly Michelins, a temporary set of wiggly Goodyears (all hunter road forced). The car is cured. At least for now. The car is driving the best it ever has since I bought it.

I also feel tires are really only good for about 25K. After that...potholes...railroad tracks etc have taken their toll. The tires may 'look' ok....but really are goners.

That being said, the way the car is set up now. It can live fine on a $300 set of tires vs $1000 for GM screened Michelins at Cadillac. I dont have a problem spending $300 every 18 months for ride quality. I really did not want to spend $1000 every 18 months for the same ride quality.

I can see why Cadillac is using these tires on the 2006 DTS. They seem to be a very good tire for the money. Ride and handing are comp with the Michelins that were on the car. With the 520 wear rating, they may even wear better then the Michelins..

I also added a pic of the Continetals. They do have a rib in the tire...along the bead...that the Michelins do not have. I dont have a problem with it...its just a bit differnet. I guess its a Conti thing. BMWs with Contis have the same rib. See yellow arrow in pic...

post-2-1163090082.jpg

Good to hear. That rib is probably a wheel protector feature. Hope you have many miles of good service from them.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

That being said, the way the car is set up now. It can live fine on a $300 set of tires vs $1000 for GM screened Michelins at Cadillac. I dont have a problem spending $300 every 18 months for ride quality. I really did not want to spend $1000 every 18 months for the same ride quality.

Give me a moment to do the math on that . . . . Okay, done. :)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Geezzz...UPS showed up today to pick up the bad tire for Tire Rack. 72 hours after the new tire was dropped off....3 hours after the new tire was mounted...

Think the rib is a wheel protector? Maybe...I dont know.

It is strange...maybe 10 days ago, I had to have one of the Michelins rebalanced. It appears the car wash knocked off a inner weight ...you could see the minor smear on the rim edge all the way up to...where the weight used to be. Never had that happen before..

Anyway, I am curious as to what the rib really does. I was looking at tires in the parking lot today...nobody else does it.

Go look at a BMW with Contis. The rib is there. But the wheel rim is a different style to some extent. Conti is German owned...so that may be a clue. These Contis were made in the US.

Really happy with these tires for the $$$. Hope it lasts. What I really want is a Michelin X Ones in a 235 55 17. On my '93 those were bullet proof. 50-60k on the same balance job! Very hard tire. Lasted for forever...the side walls would crack before the tire showed any wear...

Back to reality.....

Cool. I feel the same way about my new Perrilles. Best the car has ever handled. And at a lot less of a cost.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Logan

Please keep me updated on the shimmy issue. I, like you, have never felt that tires was the cause. Maybe post back after 500 miles or so with the progress. Also maybe update the "other" shimmy thread. I have the same tires and my car still shimmys. If time shows that these tires do indeed cure the problem, I will have mine done. Thanks man

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

I do think the rib is a wheel protector. A lot of all terrain tires have that, and many high performance tires today have it, regardless of brand. I don't know if Michelin in particular has any, but I know some Falken tires do.

We have Michelin all season tires on both of our cars (not performance tires), and both sets should last a good 70k miles I think. The Agility tires on the van have over 25k and still have 8/32" tread (new was 10/32"). The X Radial tires on the Cadillac will definitely dry rot before they wear. I only drive it about 5000 miles/year now. I installed them about 11 months ago, and all four still measure 10/32".

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jason is correct.....rim protector.

Googled 'rib is a wheel protector'.......#1 result was this Tire Rack link. The new Contis are like pic #2.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=150

For Dadillac:

I think we can pretty much agree these cars are overly sensitive to 'good' tires. Technically too sensitive for practical use. Hence the chassis stiffening mods.

History of my Deville tires: 4 different sets of tires. All had the exact same annoying vibe.

Original base '16 Deville Michelins. My thought while test driving the car...'geezz...this car needs a balance job...'

'17 DTS wheel upgrade. New Michelins. Hmmmm...same vibration on new tires?

Michs worn. Tried Goodyears. Even worse. Goodyears were taken off 1 week latter and another new set of Michs put on. Better. But same Deville jiggle...

Chassis, cradle mods. New Contis. All is well...so far.

Hi Logan

When I was shopping around for the 01 dts I drove more than a dozen devilles 01 02's I did notice than most of them had that shimmy issue the 01 I wound up purchasing did not have that issue I have no vibration issues on the 01 so far

The dts is very sensitive with tires I had goodyear cooper & michelins on my 01 & so far the michelins ride the best of of those tires the cooper tire was the BEST handling out of the bunch I miss those tires the car sure handled great with them they were a very responsive tire

I also have the same tires as yours on the new dts

Jim

IPB Image

• 3 weeks later...

This car has stiffened cradle mounts, stiffened engine mounts, stiffened upper strut mounts. Sort of like a 2006 DTS.

Bump:

I'm also interested in where to buy the stiffened cradle mounts.

IPB Image

This car has stiffened cradle mounts, stiffened engine mounts, stiffened upper strut mounts. Sort of like a 2006 DTS.

Bump:

I'm also interested in where to buy the stiffened cradle mounts.

The way the 2000-2005 cradle mounts are setup.....you can only tighten them so far and thats it. The 2006 DTS cradle mount is very different, very stiff to car body. And using Conti tires..

Everything...everything...is mounted to the cradle. Tires, steering rack, brakes, trans, control arms, wheels, everyting......

On the front cradle mounts. I used some J car strut parts I had. They had a shallower 'bowl' so technically made the front mount tighter.

On the far rear mount, I cut off 1/2 inch of the 'tulip' part of the upper mount. See red outline in picture. The yellow is where the mount was cut and shortened 1/2 inch.

Also in picture, note urethene skateboard wheel trapped between body and cradle. Perfect $5 fix.

post-2-1165688918.jpg

I thought I had lost this picture. 2006 DTS with newer style cradle mount. Very much, much stiffer design vs 2000-2005...and plus they now are running Contis.

So far. The new Contis are doing fine after 1500-2000 miles.

post-2-1165900721.jpg

Archived