CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

engine rebuild/mod list?!?

CustomGTP

Port and polish of the heads seems useful, but you'd need to have it done or get heads from someone who has done the homework / testing on NS heads.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

yeah ive already got one head ported but nobody in town can flow them, and i dont have THAT much expendable cash to ship them to another city 3 times til I get them to where I want them.. oh well maybe ill just timesert the block and throw them on tune it and then have my car dyno'd... i know not the ideal way to do it but too bad lol.

mods that are going on..

heads with port work

280* grind cams

upgraded weight springs

chrome valve cover, upper intake, and alt case

timeserts

new pistons

new bearings

unsure about rods yet

bigger injectors 32# upgraded form the stock 17#'s

and then head gaskets...

any other ideas? I may do dry sump oil system if the budget allows

anything else i may be missing

what do the folks at chrfab.com have to say about mods to an injected car? their website has lots of sandrail stuff and blown stuff. how about mods to a "stock" heavy street car. not that your GP is any heavier than a caddy. i think you want a little more low end torque, how do you get it? increase displacement is a good idea. thats hard to do on a northstar.

On the heads, they are pretty good from the factory. You would only want to do a clean up and open any restrictions. It's important to keep your mods consistent from port to port. If you do any real opening make a gauge or use calipers to check that all the sizes stay the same.

If you've done any reading of porting articles you've probably seen that small changes (if they are the right ones) can make noticeable differences.

I would be careful with the porting. When I was looking at an engine change this summer, I looked at the CHRFAB heads and cams. When I ran their flow bench numbers in Excel and compared them to the cam lifts for stock and their cams, it looked to me like their heads flowed about the same as the stock heads, or a little worse, below 5,000 RPM and with maximum stock cam lifts. Their porting work really comes online with higher-than-stock cam lifts and very high RPMs, so head work is essential for a successful off-road car but I didn't see it as a good idea for a car that would run with the stock FI, PCM, and transmission. If you have a carburetor, a module from CHRFAB that will run the ignition, and a six-speed, I would consider CHRFAB head work with one of their middle cams for the street.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

"If you have a carburetor, a module from CHRFAB that will run the ignition, and a six-speed, I would consider CHRFAB head work with one of their middle cams for the street"

well I'm fuel injected, got a CHRFab holley engine management and have a six speed, SO I may just clean up my stock ones some and leave it at that.

Look at the CHRFAM cams, particularly the low-to-middle range for the street (talk to them). I would get some very fine grit sandpaper and clean up all roughness in the ports. Also, I would consider polishing the throttle body. And, for the street, get ProXS Borlas I would also recommend low-restriction catalytic converter(s). Work with a tuning shop with your exhaust sytem and the placement of your cat(s) and mufflers.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have been talking to CHRFab for two years now. I have Alan Johnson's (chrfab's owner) custom aluminum flywheel from his 30something hotrod in my car now. Like I previously stated I have talked to him and he has advised me to which parts I should be looking at.

As for the exhaust I have 2.5" pipes from headers to Dynomax Superturbo mufflers that dump out before the rear axel and it sounds amazing at all RPM's. I would recommend them for the N*

Anyone have any parts from them?

since i know nothing about your setup, i have to ask. is your GP FWD? how do you get a 6 speed trans in your car?

I have a 94 GTP that I converted to rear wheel drive. It now is powered with a 98 STS northstar with a 6speed from an 02 camaro SS... the rear end is a 87 GN turbo 8.5" POSI. The front suspension is a 99 Firebird.

so you have a firebird with a northstar! I still think they could sell a 04 GTO body with a buick 3800 motor/6spd trans/solid rear axle for 16K but GM does not want to make that. ford calls it a mustang. things go in cycles. the FWD club is starting to shift a little towards RWD stuff. or i could just buy an 04 GTO for 16k now.

so you have a firebird with a northstar! I still think they could sell a 04 GTO body with a buick 3800 motor/6spd trans/solid rear axle for 16K but GM does not want to make that. ford calls it a mustang. things go in cycles. the FWD club is starting to shift a little towards RWD stuff. or i could just buy an 04 GTO for 16k now.

um ok?

you are right. nothing was added by that comment. I am on my 5th GP now and just threw in a comment on your effort to turn it into a RWD setup. seems like a lot of work to me but thats JMO. i will lay low till i can offer some meaningful info.

Archived