CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Images In Signature

This is a personal request to the members.

Please, please, please, keep your image sizes in signatures to a reasonable limit. Like 100 px tall or something. A few members have recently added very tall images to their signatures, and that takes up the whole screen sometimes, depending on the user's resolution.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The software has a total limit for signatures in bytes, but that does not seem as helpful as it sounds.

My guess is that we should agree on some max height sizes, like 150px or 240px for signature images, but I am open for suggestions.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yes, I agree, those tall images make scrolling through posts more cumbersome....a real pain actually. Someone has one with several images that bumps the page down as the pics load, now that's real obnoxious. 100 or 150, either or sounds good to me.

I have found a way to impose limits, and set the signature limits to be 500px by 300px for now, and let's see how that fits. Existing signatures are cropped to those limits where needed.

Is this still too large or does it seem a compromise? My other thought was 400px by 200px?

Bruce

I'll cut mine down to 181 X 200 now (see below). If it's too tall, I can cut it down more, or get another picture that works better with a horizontal motif. The fisheye shot of the big Eldorado rear fender and emblem is basically a square composition.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

using Jim's signature as an example (above), a height of 200 pixels seems to work well. Unless there are other votes I will re-adjust the limits to a max of 400px width and 200px height. That seems to give plenty of room for a nice signature without taking up undue screen space that would not be needed for the sidebar info anyway.

Bruce

The method I used actually give the TOTAL limit for the signature area, so I adjusted to 400x300 pixels, which by test more or less allows for 3 lines of text and a 200 pixel tall image.

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

You may want to sticky some sort of announcement (at least on the suggestions board) about the new restrictions. I didn't realize it until only half my signature was showing up. Mine wasn't huge, just too wide, so I made a new one. I've noticed alot of members have not realized this as their signature pics are cut in half now. Just a thought.

-dave B)

P.S. good idea though, some signatures were HUGE! :blink:

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Mine was huge, too. I had just resurrected my film cameras and taken a few pictures of my Cadillac with a circular fish-eye and put them on Photobucket for use here. I was using the largest picture allowed in my signature block. The thread that caused the change had several of my posts in it and people were complaining about scrolling through the same picture over and over, with more picture than text in the thread. When I saw my picture truncated, I started looking at things and found the thread in "Suggestions..." checked that thread and agreed with the criticism, and immediately cut my signature picture down to size.

It does seem like a good idea to let people know. However, if they post, they will immeditately see their signature block -- as I did -- and the situation should take care of itself. I don't see this as something we want to ask Bruce to put a lot of time and work into.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 4 weeks later...

Jason,

Is my signature one that you are referring to?

I'm looking to make it smaller but when I reduce it in Microsoft Photo Editor it distorts the picture too much. I guess the only way to reduce it is to take a picture further away? Would happen to have any suggestion about making the pic smaller while maintaining photo quality?

How do you add photos to your signature? I've never been able to figure it out and have been meaning to ask for some time, now. I've looked all over the My Controls/Personal Profile/Edit Signature and can't find a button there.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Insert image is the 8th icon over in the controls in edit signature, just as in edit post.

You need to have the image you want to use on the net somewhere. It can be in a post here, or on your home website, etc.

Here is my raw signature info:

[font=Arial]bruce
[url=http://www.caddyinfo.com]http://www.caddyinfo.com[/url]
[img=http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/uploads/ctscrest.jpg]
2005 CTS 3.6L  Light Platinum/Light Neutral, Corsa cat-back; Volant CAI 
[/font]

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for your help. For reference, this image is 398 x 128.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I try to always on all the forums I visit keep my signature to a minimum. While we're on the subject, here is a few I've made for my "gaming" forums.

For the WWII game I play:

IPB Image

General Modern Combat Games:

IPB Image

Don't really play the games like I used too...guess I'm slowly growing up....and ok getting really into cars :P

If any of you would like something done, send me a PM, if I find I have some free time I'll see what I can do for ya :)

For my Cadillac signature I played around with a lot of flashy stuff but decided on something simple, like my other sigs, that is to the point :)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived