CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

99 STS (new to me)

MIke D

I just bought a used 99 STS (to replace my 93) with the premium bose system. I am looking to use my aftermarket XM unit AND/OR plug my Ipod directly into the radio some how. (fm transmitters stink). On Crutchfield.com they talk about a RDS stereo.. Is this car RDS???

Any info will help. Thanks in Advance,

Mike D

Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it!

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

I just bought a used 99 STS (to replace my 93) with the premium bose system. I am looking to use my aftermarket XM unit AND/OR plug my Ipod directly into the radio some how. (fm transmitters stink). On Crutchfield.com they talk about a RDS stereo.. Is this car RDS???

Any info will help. Thanks in Advance,

Mike D

RDS stands for Radio Data Syatem. On my DTS it displays the song / artist that is playing. It works on CD, XM and SOME FM stations. The station has to broadcast the RDS indormation. Some do, some don't. It DOES NOT work on AM.

The Bose in mine has a plug on the front of the radio ... to the right and towards the bottom of the face plate. I do not know what year model they started adding the plug.

Was talking to a Car Toys guy the other day and he said they now made a wiring harness that could be added to my DTS that would let you plug in an Ipod or similar unit and control it from the steering wheel controls. Change tracks ... change volume etc. Wouldn't swear to THAT .. he was out of stock so I could not read the info sheet.

Posted Image

Thanks Texas Jim.

I called Crutchfield and they said I would have to unplug my cd changer and plug my ipod into it. But I would lose the use of the changer. Not to keen on that but I never had a changer and lived this long :)

As Far as the XM, it is an in line attachment on that RDS cable... They said it should be controlled by the radio controls. I don't see how but I'm not the one inventing these thngs. Why cant they do this with the ipod too????

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Thanks Texas Jim.

I called Crutchfield and they said I would have to unplug my cd changer and plug my ipod into it. But I would lose the use of the changer. Not to keen on that but I never had a changer and lived this long :)

As Far as the XM, it is an in line attachment on that RDS cable... They said it should be controlled by the radio controls. I don't see how but I'm not the one inventing these thngs. Why cant they do this with the ipod too????

Mike,

Check some of the big stereo install places where you live. See if they have the wiring harness that hooks to your head unit. That way you can have the Ipod "AND" keep your CD Changer too. Changers are nice. Mine is 6 cd changer. Six 80 minute cd's = 8 hours of playing without any repeats. I don't think yours does MP3's, but if it does ... you can put about 250 songs on "ONE" cd. Average 3.5 minutes each ... over 14 hours of stuff on one cd.

Posted Image

Dont have a GM part number....but this came out maybe 2 months ago..

"General Motors Announces iPod Integration - Bringing Music to Drivers' Ears

DETROIT, Mich. – Because great cars and great tunes should travel together, General Motors has developed an affordable, all-new iPod adaptor; allowing music lovers to use their iPod with the factory-installed audio system in GM vehicles, beginning this fall.

The device, called “Personal Audio Link,” will sell at GM dealerships for less than $160 at MSRP, plus installation. It will be introduced in October on 2006 and 2007 model year Chevrolet HHRs, already one of the industry’s most personalized vehicles, with more GM vehicles scheduled to be added by the end of this year. Designed specifically for the iPod, GM expects to make the device available on all of its 56 vehicle models – mostly by the end of 2007 – meaning GM will offer the widest range of vehicle applications for iPod integration in the industry

“We understand that people want to use their iPod whenever and wherever they want,” said Mike Jackson, GM North America vice president, Marketing & Advertising. “We’re thrilled to offer an awesome, seamless digital music experience to our customers across our entire portfolio of great cars and trucks.”

Vehicle personalization is embedded in today’s vehicle purchase and ownership experience. Nancy Philippart, executive director, GM Accessories, believes that iPod and GM vehicle personalization are a perfect fit

“With our simple, affordable system, our customers can plug their iPod into their vehicle audio system and get what they want – clear, quality sound as well as access to playlists and artists’ names,” said Philippart. “Because the Personal Audio Link was designed specifically for GM vehicles, the level of integration our system offers is unmatched in the market.”

The Personal Audio Link iPod adapter, about the size of a deck of cards and not visible to the customer once installed, uses existing radio software, and is integrated through the radio’s digital XM Satellite Radio band. (XM does not need to be activated for the system to work.) This provides improved sound over FM modulated systems, and better control and display over FM modulated and CD changer interface units.

The system displays song artist, title and genre on the radio display, and allows song selection by genre, playlist, artist and album. In addition, Podcasts and audio books are no problem. Personal Audio Link enables the user to store, sort and select their favorite Podcast or audio book by title. In vehicles equipped with steering wheel audio controls, those controls will also control volume.

Once the device is installed, the customer plugs the iPod into an interface cable in the glove box, where the player can be safely secured and stowed. The device also charges the iPod while the vehicle is operating.

----------------

Personal Audio Link Key Features – At a Glance;

Seamlessly connects an iPod to the vehicle’s factory installed audio system

Charges iPod when ignition is on

Choose from English, Spanish or French language for function displays

Search and display music by genre, playlist, album, artist

Use seek function to move forward or reverse within a song for up to 15 seconds

Select “shuffle” function to mix music

Sort music using “alphabetical jump” from A-Z list

Sort and select Podcasts and audio books by title

Control volume from steering wheel controls

Personalize text display in dynamic mode (radio display scrolls through artist, album, title, song, time remaining, etc.) or static mode (fixed on one display element such as artist)

Perform fast music searches using high-speed text display technology"

If I understand correctly, this adapter can br retrofitted to older GM vehicles to some extent. How far back....I dont know. I hope at least to my 2001 Deville.

That being said, currently using a Radio Shack cassette adapter. Works pretty good considering you have wind noise etc in a car. Its a *smurf* trying to navigate thru song lists while driving. Avoid that...

Also, what you really need to see...is the new video IPODs....OMG. Sold my old 40g G4 and bought a 60G Video G5. Well worth the $200 upgrade (sold my old one for $200...new VG5 was $400)

My original PC only has 20g. So bought a 250g external drive to support the movie files for the new V Ipod

So...mp3 songs...music videos...and movies! Amazing...

post-2-1162703115.jpg

Thanks Logan,

I have the 30gb video and wish I had spent the extra $100 for the 60gb. Working for the airlines I spend lots of time in the back dead heading from airport to airport. I burn the battery in about 2 hrs on the video mode. How long does your 60 last on movie mode?

I don't advocate the use of the internet to illegally get tv shows or movies but I "hear" ipodnova.net Is a good place to go thats free... :)

If I can find that adapter I will let you know how it works...

Thanks again,

Mike D

93 STS 225,000 Miles

99 STS 111,000 Miles

Thanks Logan,

I have the 30gb video and wish I had spent the extra $100 for the 60gb. Working for the airlines I spend lots of time in the back dead heading from airport to airport. I burn the battery in about 2 hrs on the video mode. How long does your 60 last on movie mode?

I don't advocate the use of the internet to illegally get tv shows or movies but I "hear" ipodnova.net Is a good place to go thats free... :)

If I can find that adapter I will let you know how it works...

Thanks again,

Mike D

I kind of wish I had gone with the 30g and saved a $100. Currently have all my music, and maybe 20 movies on the iPod and only using 17-18g.

I keep all my converted DVD movies on the 250g external drive, and just pull in the movies I want for that day thru Itunes.

Currently using 'PQ DVD to iPod video' software to covert my DVDs to MP4 video files. About an hour per movie. I tend to convert the movies in very high quality. Plenty of room.

I have yet to have the battery on the iPod go dead. Maybe watch 20-30 minutes at a time. I have noticed the battery indicator on the iPod is not always correct. Sometimes it shows 'gone.' Turn off for 10 minutes to do some work...then battery shows half or 3/4 full. Never has it given me a dead battery message or shut down. I use it 2-3 hours per day pretty hard. Often can go couple of days on a charge (?).

As for a iPod kit for the car. I was looking some this morning...

It seems the most available kit is Periphial 'iPodtocar'. This kit will charge the iPod, and the steering wheel controls can be used.

It does require a GM specfic cable. I my case I think I need the PXHGM2 cable on a 2001 Deville.

I think there are some old and new website info related to this. It seems the older ones the 01 Deville was not covered. Finally found a newer site where the 01 Deville is listed, it is just setup as GM Class 2 Mode.

RDS stands for Radio Data Syatem. On my DTS it displays the song / artist that is playing. It works on CD, XM and SOME FM stations. The station has to broadcast the RDS indormation. Some do, some don't. It DOES NOT work on AM.

Hey cool -- the RDS radio in our Grand Caravan (and all Chryslers I've driven) only does the FM stations. I haven't been able to get it to display the artist/track title from CDs. Fortunately, more and more FM stations are starting to broadcast SOMETHING, even if it's just their call letters. Most around here that I listen to do broadcast the song info. One of them actually broadcasts the weather forecast through RDS!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hey cool -- the RDS radio in our Grand Caravan (and all Chryslers I've driven) only does the FM stations. I haven't been able to get it to display the artist/track title from CDs. Fortunately, more and more FM stations are starting to broadcast SOMETHING, even if it's just their call letters. Most around here that I listen to do broadcast the song info. One of them actually broadcasts the weather forecast through RDS!

Jason,

Look for a little funny looking button with "i" on the radio. On mine, if you push THAT button, depending on if you are on CD or FM or XM, it brings up a menu on the radio display and you can then select song, artist, station and a couple of other things.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

I have the iPod2Car for my 2003 STS (Premium Bose). Installation is very easy. 2 screws to remove the centre console (bucket) and then 4 to remove the cd changer, and 1 cable attachment. Replace the bucket and you have a nice open space for the equipment.

Hook up the cable attachment to the box and you are set to go.

But this is where the train goes off the rails. I have heard people raving about this unit, but in mine the iPod will see power and charge no problem, but the stereo will not see the iPod (the cd changer source does not show up). I have been in touch with peripheral customer support and they gave a couple troubleshooting tips, but no luck. Took it back to the vendor (Future Shop) and they were unable to get it working as well. Plug the CD changer back in and presto it works and is recognized by the head unit.

I have an email into Peripheral Electronics again asking for more help and will also contact Cadillac and Bose client services to see if they know anything.

For those of you with XM radio enabled, you will supposedly lose that functionality with this unit. I dont have it so no problem there for me.

I will keep you all up to date with what I find.

Robert

Archived