CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Vacuum Line to Parking Brake Release

coolnesss

My parking brake doesn't release all the way - and at the same time I have a sort of mild whooshy vacuum leak sound coming from the dash behind the climate control panel - is it possible that the vacuum line from the brake line is attached behind there, or running through there and has a leak??? No other vacuum devices seem to be malfunctioning.

Also, the readout on the climate control has shifted down at one corner - so that the digit readout on the temp the controls are set to - is slightly below the trimline - its crooked. I want to open it up and see if I can correct it, but have no clue how to get the dash trim etc. open.

HELP!!!!!!!!

If your parking brake is releasing, but not all the way, then the release mechanism is working as designed. Either you are not setting it hard enough so that when released, it springs back with enough pressure to fully release or it needs some lube at the pivot point. I know that the '99 used an electronic release, but I am not sure when they made the switch from vacuum to electronics. On those that did use vacuum, the parking brake vacuum was on the HVAC vacuum circuit, so if you had a hose disconnected at the parking brake or a bad diaphram, the HVAC also lost vacuum and would default to defrost mode. Does the sound go away when you turn off the blower or increase with blower speed?

If your parking brake is releasing, but not all the way, then the release mechanism is working as designed. Either you are not setting it hard enough so that when released, it springs back with enough pressure to fully release or it needs some lube at the pivot point. I know that the '99 used an electronic release, but I am not sure when they made the switch from vacuum to electronics. On those that did use vacuum, the parking brake vacuum was on the HVAC vacuum circuit, so if you had a hose disconnected at the parking brake or a bad diaphram, the HVAC also lost vacuum and would default to defrost mode. Does the sound go away when you turn off the blower or increase with blower speed?

I'm pretty sure this is a vacuum system - it sounds like it anyway.

The brake releases, but the pedal comes up only about 1/2 way, just enough so the parking brake is fully disengaged - but - there's a couple of inches of travel between that point and where the parking brake light goes off.

The pedal is loose - it flops back and forth between those two points, and to keep the parking brake light off, I have to pull the pedal toward me with my toe to the end of its travel. If the car is parked on an uphill grade, mere gravity will pull it to the end of its travel and shut off the light. When I'm driving, the parking brake light goes on and off as the direction of velocity of the car changes - if I'm accelerating hard, the force of that brings the pedal back to the end of its travel and the light goes off. Then, when I let up, gravity brings the pedal back towards the firewall a little and the light goes on.

It feels like there should be a spring in there or something, and that the spring is sprung or broken, but, apparently, there is no spring designed into it.

It moves freely, so its not a lubrication issue - although my mechanic lubed it a couple of days ago, with no change at all in its behavior.

I'll check the blower speed question - but its not a complete disconnect, because the brake does release, and the a/c does work correctly it seems - but - the sound I hear would be a small sort of leak.

How can I get the trim panel off to get back there and inspect?

THANKS

There definately is a spring somewhere in the mechanism. The other posibility is that the cable under the car or at one of the rear brakes has corrosion in it and is binding the inner cable and preventing it from sliding freely, resulting in the pedal not coming up all the way. Be advised, though that your rear brakes could be dragging even though you think they are released.

Not sure what trim panel you are talking about or how to remove it with out seeing it.

Ranger is pointing you in the right direction. If the parking brake releases in the slightest, the vacuum system has done its job. I'd worry about the "whooshy" sound later.

If the pedal fails to release all the way it's either a return spring problem, a pivot lubrication problem, or a binding brake cable problem. You've pointed out that the pedal "flops" around loosely. Obviously, the pivot is not binding and needs no lubrication.

I'm guessing that because you say that mere gravity is enough to raise the pedal when you are parked uphill that you don't have a binding cable issue.

That leaves the spring. Did you recently find a return spring on your driver's side carpet that you wondered where it came from? If not, look under the driver's seat.

Afterthought: does your parking brake actually WORK? Do you feel resistance when you step on it? Does it slow your car?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Ranger is pointing you in the right direction. If the parking brake releases in the slightest, the vacuum system has done its job. I'd worry about the "whooshy" sound later.

If the pedal fails to release all the way it's either a return spring problem, a pivot lubrication problem, or a binding brake cable problem. You've pointed out that the pedal "flops" around loosely. Obviously, the pivot is not binding and needs no lubrication.

I'm guessing that because you say that mere gravity is enough to raise the pedal when you are parked uphill that you don't have a binding cable issue.

That leaves the spring. Did you recently find a return spring on your driver's side carpet that you wondered where it came from? If not, look under the driver's seat.

Afterthought: does your parking brake actually WORK? Do you feel resistance when you step on it? Does it slow your car?

Regards,

Warren

No, I didn't find a spring.

Yes, the parking brake works perfectly. Resistance when I step on it is normal. I'm stumped.

Does anyone have a diagram of the parking brake assembly????

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what trim panel you are talking about or how to remove it with out seeing it.

The gray plastic panel that surrounds the climate control panel and the radio - so I can get back in there and look. Or do I have to take off the side panels of the console?

I'm pretty certain it simply pulls off.

I'll post back if I find info in my '98 FSM.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

coolnesss,

This FSM is as exasperating as was my '95! Worse, it's layout is quite different. Incidently, I have both the hard copy and the searchable software copy of it. I guess I'm just dumb in not being able to find the specific intructions on how to remove the trim plate.

Anyways, I wasn't able to locate a drawing directly connected with removing the radio trim plate.

However, when I read the instructions for radio removal, they specified three things before the radio removal::

1. Remove the INFORMATION switch trim plate.

2. Remove the front center console trim plate.

3. Remove the ashtray.

And then they say, "remove the radio." They make no mention of the radio trim plate.

I'm guessing that somewhere along the way you'll see yourself clear to get where you're wanting to go.

Now I haven't done this before, so I'd urge you to use caution, but here are the radio removal instructions provided in the manual:

1. Remove the INFORMATION switch trim plate by "inserting a Thin Flat Blade Tool (TFBT) on both sides of the driver information switch. Gently pry out the switch." Disconnect the electrical connector.

2. Do not remove, but rather just lift and swivel the front center console trim plate (around the shifter). Use a TFBT to release the two clips on each side.

3. Remove the three screws that hold the ashtray in place and remove the ashtray.

Remove the radio.

Well somewhere before you've removed the radio, I expect you'll see whatever you need to see to make the radio trim plate easily removable.

Sorry I couldn't have been more informative. Perhaps someone here could chime in with more helpful info?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Well, its fixed.

The mechanic adjusted the parking brake - and now the pedal is up where it should be when released, and the parking brake light is off when its supposed to be.

Thanks to all for your help.

Archived