CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Deville

AtlantaMc

Hey guys! This summer I've noticed a squeeeky noise under the passenger side dash. Like something opening and closing. Thought I would leave it alone. :( Well, now I don't have a sqweeek anymore, but I'm getting hot air from my side and normal air from the passenger side. I do have dual climate, so I figure part of the air controler died? :blink: Has anyone had this happen? Is it an easy fix? Thanks in advance for any help... No codes either.

Mark

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

I belive people have said this is due to low refrigerant in the past.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Usually, if the actuator(s) are the problem, a code will set for the commanded actuator position not equal to the actual actuator position. With the air conditioning off (turn it off and let it stabilize for 5 minutes), do both sides output air at approximately the same temperature? If so, you are likely low on refrigerant.

If you still notice the large temperature difference without the air conditioning, you probably have an actuator problem.

You can also remove the glove box and the hush panel on the passenger side and the actuators will be visible - cycle the temperature at the passenger control and the master control and verify that the actuators operate.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you are in the A/C mode, low refrigerant could cause it. If not, check the passenger and drivers air mix actuators. They are behind the glove box. One is accessable through it and the other from below.

Thanks for the help! :rolleyes: I'll bet it's the actuator as it's been sounding like a squeeky door. Not very loud, but enough to notice. Also, when I run the temp from 60 to 90, the passenger side blows normally from floor to dash vents; when the pass. climate control is off. Has anyone out there replaced the actuator?

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

I don't think it is terribly hard, but you have to be sure that the door is synchronized with the actuator. Set the temp to 90, then fully open the door before connecting the linkage. Not sure if that is the "official FSM" proceedure, but it should work.

Archived