CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant flush - involuntarily

stefank

Today on my way home from the office I was cruising along the autobahn at about 90 mph when I noticed some white mist in my rear view mirror. I was instantly alerted and checked the coolant gauge, but all was fine. Then I saw that my right side tires leaving a wet trace on the road (it was sunny and dry, as was the road).

I changed to the right lane and slowed down, when the "coolant low" message came on, temp gauge was still in the middle of the scale. After a few seconds the temp gage started to rise, I shut down the engine and slowed down on the emergency lane. Opening the hood it was easy to see the problem: the upper radator hose had slipped of the radiator neck! Fixing this was easy, grabbed a screwdriver and put it back on. Now to get some coolant...I was so lucky! This happend in walking distance (five minutes) to a big service station beside the autobahn, so I walked there, bought three liters of antifreeze (silicate free meeting GM spec - one can't believe it) and three liters of distilled water and went back. That was exactly the amount needed, poured it in and off I went!

The car was in desperate need of a good wash then, lots of slippery coolant all over the right side and back.

It may be a wise idea to check the tightness of hose clamps once in a while...

Take care

Stefan

PS

Took the time to take a photo with my mobile phone:

IPB Image

Very Cool Stefan! Glad it wasn't worse for you! I finally get to see the Autobahn.

I have to laugh, I was cruising along at 90! :lol:

Me? I'd be white knuckling it! :lol: It's all relative! Good Luck to you!

PS: what kind of tires to you use?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

My friend in college tells me he might major in german and live in germany for a year or two. I told him I'll be visiting and to have a car ready for me to take on the autobahn. It must be nice to flow along at 90 and have cars flowing at that speed too...well until your on the shoulder and their wizzing by, must be kinda nervous standing there?

This sign gets any car guys blood running:

IPB Image

Also takepride in knowing your caddy has a limphome mode which allows it run 50 miles with out coolant. one of them things better to have and not need than need and not have.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Mike,

I've got Michelin Pilote Z-Rated all round. Good tire, btw.

My snow tires which I will put on soon are Dunlop H-rated, so I can still go up to 130 mph during wintertime.

90 mph is pretty average here if the road is clear. Most people drive around that speed if possible.

I like to drive faster once in a while, thou...

Best

Stefan

PS now you know why I like to have my car's suspension in top shape :-)

Mike,

I've got Michelin Pilote Z-Rated all round. Good tire, btw.

My snow tires which I will put on soon are Dunlop H-rated, so I can still go up to 130 mph during wintertime.

90 mph is pretty average here if the road is clear. Most people drive around that speed if possible.

I like to drive faster once in a while, thou...

Best

Stefan

PS now you know why I like to have my car's suspension in top shape :-)

Stefan, Very Impressive, my hat is off to you!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

If your car's suspension is not in top shape, the car will limit you to 90 mph. The modreate traffic makes it look more like a 175 kph zone than a 150 kph zone, though.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Srefan, your fortunate to be able to run fast and not have to worry about the speed limit in the "country" areas.

Northern Michigan is very "country" and 100mph long runs are very doable just not legal. Some day I hope to be able to run 70+ and not have to worry.

I've heard it said here that an excessive engine temperature episode pretty much demands an oil change for continued protection. Not sure how true that is, but it makes sense.

From your description, however, it doesn't sound like your "overheat" was excessive. Your call.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Hello all,

there was no overheating at all. As soon as the temp gauge needle started to move from the center, I shut the engine down. The digital temp readout in the message center showed 105°C (220°F), it climbs higher in summer traffic jams.

I think I would not rely on the limp home mode, I'm too old fashioned for this type of experiments. And I've performed too many headgasket repairs in my younger years, a task I would not like to experience on a N*!

Regarding speed, trucks are limited electronically to 88 kph / 55 mph here, it is like committing suicide to go slower than that, they literally run over you. It's also dangerous for the other traffic, because all trucks would pull over to the center/left lane. So you either 'float' with the trucks (few people do) or go significantly faster.

Most important when driving here is constantly watching oncoming traffic from the rear, especially when changing lanes to the left. It is very helpful to have a powerful car so you can merge into traffic without forcing others to slow down or brake.

But we pay for this with exorbitant fuel prices and taxes dependant on engine size. That's why most Euro-cars have small displacement engines with turbos and stuff.

We also have very stringent safety inspections for our cars, and very strict regulations regarding car modifications. For example you are not allowed to put on tires with lower speed rating than your car is able to go. If it came from the factory with Z-rated tires, this is mandatory, even if you do not plan to go that fast. Only exception are snow tires, but then you need to attach a warning sticker near the speedo to inform drivers about the maximum speed allowed. This is even checked by police officers!

Best

Stefan

Hello all,

there was no overheating at all. As soon as the temp gauge needle started to move from the center, I shut the engine down. The digital temp readout in the message center showed 105°C (220°F), it climbs higher in summer traffic jams.

I think I would not rely on the limp home mode, I'm too old fashioned for this type of experiments. And I've performed too many headgasket repairs in my younger years, a task I would not like to experience on a N*!

Regarding speed, trucks are limited electronically to 88 kph / 55 mph here, it is like committing suicide to go slower than that, they literally run over you. It's also dangerous for the other traffic, because all trucks would pull over to the center/left lane. So you either 'float' with the trucks (few people do) or go significantly faster.

Most important when driving here is constantly watching oncoming traffic from the rear, especially when changing lanes to the left. It is very helpful to have a powerful car so you can merge into traffic without forcing others to slow down or brake.

But we pay for this with exorbitant fuel prices and taxes dependant on engine size. That's why most Euro-cars have small displacement engines with turbos and stuff.

We also have very stringent safety inspections for our cars, and very strict regulations regarding car modifications. For example you are not allowed to put on tires with lower speed rating than your car is able to go. If it came from the factory with Z-rated tires, this is mandatory, even if you do not plan to go that fast. Only exception are snow tires, but then you need to attach a warning sticker near the speedo to inform drivers about the maximum speed allowed. This is even checked by police officers!

Best

Stefan

Yeah it will be awhile, probibly never, that we see an American Autobahn. West coast to east cost highway no speed limit (of course with autobahn type electronic speed signs some sections would have to be limited). Theres still a few places in the country though that have during the day "Speed which is resonable" and then at night a speed limit.

When I was going out Colorado in a little 4-banger suburu pulling a u-hual trailer (I can't believe that thing actually made it up the mountians, plus a 13 gallon tank on a car thats fuel effiecint is nice until your pulling a trailer and get mileage in the low teens). Anyway there were many places I wished I had my Caddy (with no trialer) since the posted speed limit was 80mph. I think the Ohio Turnpike for sure had sections of 80, then when you get out to some of the more wide open areas people are cruising well into the 100's. They even have a deer/animal warning system along some strecthes of the highway, if something passes between to posts the signs start flashing and making some sort of sound to warn you that something may be crossing or is in the road a few miles up.

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Hello all,

Best

Stefan

Yeah it will be awhile, probibly never, that we see an American Autobahn. West coast to east cost highway no speed limit (of course with autobahn type electronic speed signs some sections would have to be limited). Theres still a few places in the country though that have during the day "Speed which is resonable" and then at night a speed limit.

When I was going out Colorado in a little 4-banger suburu pulling a u-hual trailer (I can't believe that thing actually made it up the mountians, plus a 13 gallon tank on a car thats fuel effiecint is nice until your pulling a trailer and get mileage in the low teens). Anyway there were many places I wished I had my Caddy (with no trialer) since the posted speed limit was 80mph. I think the Ohio Turnpike for sure had sections of 80, then when you get out to some of the more wide open areas people are cruising well into the 100's. They even have a deer/animal warning system along some strecthes of the highway, if something passes between to posts the signs start flashing and making some sort of sound to warn you that something may be crossing or is in the road a few miles up.

When was this? I was on the Ohio Turnpike in March when I went to North Carolina to pick up the STS and the speed limit was 65. There were more radar cops on the stretch from Toledo to Cleveland than in Michigan, West Virginia, Virginia, and North Carolina COMBINED...

Prior to the nationwide 55 MPH speed limit in June, 1974 - Montana and Nevada had the "Reasonable and Proper" limit. Once the 55 MPH law was repealed in the mid 1990s, Montana went back to R&P during the daytime but apparently, there was great confusion as to what "Reasonable and Proper" was and they went to a 75 MPH speed limit.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

We also have very stringent safety inspections for our cars, and very strict regulations regarding car modifications.

I'm probably alone on this, but I would more than welcome stricter safety inspection standards in the United States. It's variable now, and there are a TON of cars out there that get by somehow (probably paid for a sticker with a case of beer). I can't count how many tires in the parking lots around here are BALD. I mean almost completely slick. How does that junk get through inspection?

And they wonder why the insurance companies want to raise rates due to all the accidents. We do not take vehicle maintenance OR driving seriously in this country. Anymore, a car is just time not spent in front of a computer or video game. People talk on the phone while in the car, watch TV, eat their lunch, do their make up, etc. It used to be that a car was a symbol of what you stood for and what you liked. Nowadays, keeping up with Jones' doesn't mean trying to one-up them on vehicle cost, it's trying to one-up them on DVD screen count/size. I saw a car yesterday that had to have had a 21" widescreen TV mounted to the ceiling...it was that big. The car ALSO had DVD screens in both rear headrests. AND one in the dashboard. And it was only a sedan (a Mitsubishi Galant). Tell me why the rear seat passengers need THREE screens!!?? And the rearview mirror was totally useless for that big-arse TV. Not that he's actually WATCHING his mirrors, or the windshield for that matter, because he's got his OWN screen in the dashboard.

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll change. God forbid we actually infringe on someone's "privacy" and require them to actually DRIVE when they're on a PUBLIC road...

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

We also have very stringent safety inspections for our cars, and very strict regulations regarding car modifications.

I'm probably alone on this, but I would more than welcome stricter safety inspection standards in the United States. It's variable now, and there are a TON of cars out there that get by somehow (probably paid for a sticker with a case of beer). I can't count how many tires in the parking lots around here are BALD. I mean almost completely slick. How does that junk get through inspection?

And they wonder why the insurance companies want to raise rates due to all the accidents. We do not take vehicle maintenance OR driving seriously in this country. Anymore, a car is just time not spent in front of a computer or video game. People talk on the phone while in the car, watch TV, eat their lunch, do their make up, etc. It used to be that a car was a symbol of what you stood for and what you liked. Nowadays, keeping up with Jones' doesn't mean trying to one-up them on vehicle cost, it's trying to one-up them on DVD screen count/size. I saw a car yesterday that had to have had a 21" widescreen TV mounted to the ceiling...it was that big. The car ALSO had DVD screens in both rear headrests. AND one in the dashboard. And it was only a sedan (a Mitsubishi Galant). Tell me why the rear seat passengers need THREE screens!!?? And the rearview mirror was totally useless for that big-arse TV. Not that he's actually WATCHING his mirrors, or the windshield for that matter, because he's got his OWN screen in the dashboard.

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll change. God forbid we actually infringe on someone's "privacy" and require them to actually DRIVE when they're on a PUBLIC road...

Jason, You're not alone. Indiana has NO vehicle inspections. :blink: Can you believe that? Pretty scary what you see on the roads here.

Sorry for not replying to the questions about the speed limit. I may have been mistaken but I could have sworn it was the Ohio Turnpike that had the 80 MPH sign. Could have been any of I=80/I-70 that I was on too. I rember the farther west the faster the limit, started out 65, then 70, 75, then an 80 on one of the highways.

The Green's Machines

I think the Ohio Turnpike for sure had sections of 80, then when you get out to some of the more wide open areas people are cruising well into the 100's.

Are you sure that it wasnt the road designator signs (I-80) and not the speed limit sign?? :rolleyes:

I inspect lease return vehicles in Brooklym, NY and the extent of which people ABUSE their vehicles makes me sick. You can tell that some people have NEVER had their car washed... EVER. Grime so thick I cant use my paint gauge without digging a hole in the crud with my thumb nail. Most of the cars are FWD so obviously most of the front tires Im looking at are between 1/32" - 4/32" In NYC 2/32" is legally bald and must be replaced. The rear bumpers are gouged so bad that you can stick you finger through the plastic with little resistance. People dont know where their cars end, they park by feel. The right side of the cars almost always have dents and trenches from bumper to bumper while the left side is immaculate. I pull the dipstick and the oil looks like roofing tar. I cant believe that someone would spend 20k on a leased car and abuse it to that extent.... Not to mention the hefty bills they are getting slapped with after I finish my inspection of these abuse cases. Gets me angry just thinking about it. Ive seen cars that I haveto pour over for a half hour to find any dings or scuffs, so I know its possible if youre careful.

Jason, You're not alone. Indiana has NO vehicle inspections. :blink: Can you believe that? Pretty scary what you see on the roads here.

No safety inspections in California - just smog inspections.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived