CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM FastLane:New Race Car Unveiled During Winning Chevy Weekend

IPB Image

By Alba Colon

GM Racing program manager, NASCAR Nextel Cup Series

This was a fantastic weekend! Not too many weekends come along where you win every possible event.

Chevy teams were definitely the ones to beat in Memphis and Atlanta. Kevin Harvick won his eighth Busch Series race of the season while Mike Bliss scored Chevy’s first truck series win since July. Martin Truex, Jr. won the last IROC race of the year on Saturday and Tony Stewart was awarded the IROC championship. Tony capped off a Chevy weekend sweep by climbing the flag stand in Atlanta to accept the checkered flag after his Nextel Cup win on Sunday.

Tony’s win of the Bass Pro Shops 500 was the 21st Team Chevy victory in 2006. With three races to go, we only need one more win to tie our own record for the most wins during one season (in NASCAR’s modern era, 1972 to now). Chevy first achieved 22 wins in one season in 1980 and again in 2004 so it would be very exciting to tie and possibly surpass that record in these final three races.

Although we had fun celebrating this weekend, we are still very focused on the big picture – winning the drivers championship. In Atlanta we gained ground on the championship, cutting (Matt) Kenseth’s lead from 36 to 26 points over Jimmie Johnson. To win this championship a driver must be consistent. So far Matt Kenseth has been consistent in the first seven races – but as I say every week, this championship is still anybody’s game.

Thanks again for all your comments, feedback and questions. I wanted to respond to a question that Jamie posted last week. Jamie, you heard right that the Impala will return to NASCAR. This weekend we unveiled the Impala SS race car that will be Chevrolet’s Car of Tomorrow. The Impala SS will make its racing debut in March at Bristol and will share Chevy racing duties with the Monte Carlo SS in ’07 and ’08 until its first full season in ’09.

Since NASCAR announced that the manufacturers will run two cars next year, Chevy decided to bring back the Impala as its Car of Tomorrow. The Impala is an extremely popular and high-selling Chevy model, and as Jamie pointed out, it has also had its share of racing success with back-to-back NASCAR championships in the early ‘60s.

Ever since we took the cover off the Impala SS in Atlanta it has been well received. I am very encouraged from what we’ve done so far and am already excited for next year with a new nameplate for the Car of Tomorrow races and our new engine package.

This weekend we travel to Texas, a track that has not been one of my favorites. Our last win there was in 2000, so I’m hoping we can turn things around. Our teams have been working very hard for this race, so thanks for your continued support!

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2006/...ace_car_un.html

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived