CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Positive Battery Bolt (and wax)

JasonA

Can one procure the "long" positive battery bolt (I'm talking for a 92-97 generation Seville here) from a parts retailer (like NAPA, Advance, etc), or do I have to go to the dealer? Or can I only get that with a new battery cable? It's somewhat of a longer bolt, to retain two cables to the positive post.

I have a third vehicle for a while (my parents' 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon), so I'm doing some TLC and preventative maintenance on the Seville. There's a slight water leak that I found and (hopefully) fixed. It was a small section of heater hose I replaced a while ago, and I hope it just needed the clamps tightened. I also want to thoroughly clean the battery connections...and my positive bolt is all goobered up from when I had problems with it about a year ago (no-start, had to be towed home, traced to bad cable connection).

I also need to vacuum it out real well and give 'er a good thick coat of wax. I'm a huge proponent of Super Glaze wax by The Wax Shop, but admittedly, it goes on thin. And with the new young'un around, I don't have the time to give the car as much TLC as I once had. Is the Meguiars NXT wax a really THICK wax, that will provide a good THICK coverage once applied? I really like my Super Glaze, but it does need reapplying about once a month because it's a thin wax. And unfortunately, I don't have once-a-month time anymore. I want something I can buy easily. To our resident Zymol fan, all I can find locally is the Zymol Cleaner Wax. Is that appropriate for a top coat, or is that used more to "clean" the surface, planning to apply a polish coat of something else later?

Many thanks.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Meguiars NXT is a relatively thick consistancy, but that is irrelevent as to the protection. I just applied a coat of it this morning. This is the second time I used it and am pretty happy with the results. One application in spring and one in fall should do you.

I use the NXT also, and like it a lot.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks guys. Ranger, so the fact that you really only have to do it twice a year probably means that it goes on thick and persists, even though lots of weather and washings? That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. I would like a wax that goes on thick and stays on for months at a time, which is unlike the Super Glaze I have been using.

I would like a wax that goes on thick and stays on for months at a time, which is unlike the Super Glaze I have been using.

I really don't think you would be better served by a "thick" coating, per se. What you want is probably several (3 or 4 perhaps) THIN coats of a really good synthetic glaze or polish - wax is for appearance, not protection, especially carnubas, which tend to wear off from environmental factors.

What I'd do? Wash and clay car completely to remove contaminants. Wash again. 1 coat of Klasse All-in-One. Then three coats of Klasse Super Glaze, each applied VERY THIN - you won't need more than a capful to do your entire car three times.

Then any wax you want. The SG will protect against virtually anything for 4-6 months, depending on conditions.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

Thanks guys. Ranger, so the fact that you really only have to do it twice a year probably means that it goes on thick and persists, even though lots of weather and washings? That's pretty much what I wanted to hear. I would like a wax that goes on thick and stays on for months at a time, which is unlike the Super Glaze I have been using.

Yeah, it seems to last much longer than carbuba, probably because it is a synthetic polymer rather than a natural wax.

http://www.meguiars.com/?liquid-car-waxes/...ration-Tech-Wax

What about that "diamond plate" wax they've been showing on TV? The stuff where they burn the car hood and it just wipes off. Is that a snake oil/scam? Or is that product really a legitimate protection?

I have been using the nxt wax from Meguiars it works ok The real key to get any wax job looking good is in the prep work prior to waxing I wheel out my cars with a foam pad using either a very fine compound or swirl mark remover or a combination of both Last time I used a new product from 3m perfect-it 3000 swirl mark remover it really worked good with a foam pad It brought the finish to a high gloss then I just waxed the car with nxt which is real easy to use. I found that the nxt does not last that long maybe 3 or 4 months tops.. I always wheel the car prior to waxing that's the key to get a car looking good the wax really does not improve the gloss it just offers some protection from the elements.

Sorry to beat what might possibly be a dead horse at this point, and I hate to pit two different advices against each other, but JimHare said, "wax is for appearance, not protection". Then Jim DTS said, "wax really does not improve the gloss it just offers some protection from the elements".

Let me ask the question a different way.

Right now, if I gently slide my finger across the paint (I have just washed the car on Sunday, and it's been in the garage since), it's not a gloss-smooth surface. It feels very much like an un-waxed fender. Visually, the paint is still very "deep", and the metallic is vibrant. I just want to make sure I keep it protected. Appearance is already good, so that's not really my concern at this point, not by itself anyway.

Asking in very general terms, does having a glass-smooth paint surface (like you get with a freshly-waxed car) indicate good PROTECTION? Because that's really what I'm after. I want to be able to apply a good protectant to the paint to ensure that things like bird droppings and bugs don't "stick" or stain. I want the paint to weather the winter well, although that looks like a non-issue this winter as I have my parents' Jeep until spring.

Right now, my paint doesn't feel "wax smooth". I have clayed my car before (long ago), and I am convinced that it could probably use it again. Then I want to coat it with good protection. There have been good votes for Meguiar's NXT. As long as it will provide protection as good as any other product, and look good doing it, that's what I'll plan to use.

Thanks for any further comments.

What I'd do? Wash and clay car completely to remove contaminants. Wash again. 1 coat of Klasse All-in-One. Then three coats of Klasse Super Glaze, each applied VERY THIN - you won't need more than a capful to do your entire car three times.

Then any wax you want. The SG will protect against virtually anything for 4-6 months, depending on conditions.

Jim, is this Klasse available at retail, or mail order only? I'm not familiar with the product. I need to visit my local Pep Boys. They seem to have the most comprehensive selection of waxes and polishes, etc.

The wax offers some protection it will not smooth out the finish if the finish needs to be wheeled out to be cleaned and polished down to the clear coat you can do it by hand that takes too much time & you will not get the results that you will from using a high speed wheel Here's a pic of the hood after the last time I wheeled the car and a qiuck coat of nxt it's a black car & the reflections in the hood is a telephone pole and the sky on a cloudy day I wax the car to get some protection from the elements this car sits outside so it's always getting bird dropping on it so far so good but no wax will stop bird dropping from eating into or staining th paint I have had bird sh-- actually eat into the paint you have to remove it when you see it or it will stain the paint at best or eat into it I guess it all depends on what the birds eat My neighbor has a cherry tree and when the birds dump on my cars that is some toxic stuff to remove Lucky I have a garden hose in my drive to rinse that stuff off..Everyone has a product they like to use it all boils down the the prep work prior to waxing all the wax does is give you some protection from the elements I will stack up my cars wheeled out properly then waxed with anyones method and you can be the judge of what works and what does not work I could use almost any wax and look great after the car is preped properly ie it may have to be wheeled out with compound or swirl remover then some wax for protection

Jim

IPB Image

My experience with Meguiars NXT has been positive. Easy to apply and durable. Meguiars has another product available called NXT Booster wax. Every few weeks after washing, a coat of the booster wax helps prolong the original NXT wax coating. I typically do a full wax (NXT) every other month except during winter. Durability is paramount for me as my Cadillacs have a driveway and no garage for shelter. My Eldorado has been parked outdoors for almost 10 years and I still get comments on how reflective the paint looks. Of course, the car is hand washed weekly three seasons of the year, and regularly, although less frequently during the winter. Meguiars NXT and their Booster Wax are fine products in my opinion.

Thanks guys. I can use my paint as a mirror. It really is in good shape. I'm just looking for a durable wax (as Parker put it), something I don't have to re-apply monthly for the water to bead. I'll try the NXT after a good clay job and see how that lasts. The car is garage kept, but washed weekly, especially during the spring/summer/fall. I'm sure all the washing degrades the already thin coat of wax that it has.

Jim, is this Klasse available at retail, or mail order only? I'm not familiar with the product. I need to visit my local Pep Boys. They seem to have the most comprehensive selection of waxes and polishes, etc.

Klasse (German, pronounced "class-eh") is not available through any retail outlets I've ever seen. I've purchased mine through Autopia, and there are several other web-based outlets for it. It is not cheap, but it offers an excellent value for the money, especially since the SG lasts so long. The All-In-One product, "AIO", is perhaps the closest thing to a 'miracle' on the market - you can use it on nearly any non-porous surface to protect and shine - mirrors, bathroom tile, Corian countertops, etc etc etc.. Bathroom mirrors don't fog as much, soap scum washes right off the bathroom tile, etc etc (Don't do your TUB, though, you'll go right on your *smurf*... lol)

If you want long-lasting protection and a good gloss, for an OTC product it's very hard to beat Collinite 845 "Insulator Wax" - you can find it at most marine/boat dealers, or your local Advance, possibly (mine has it)...Collinite also markets a "476S Doublecoat" paste wax that's excellent, but does take a bit more work.

IPB Image

IPB Image

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

First off, I use many Meguiar's products. #6 Cleaner Wax, to get the finish nice and clean/smooth, or for more cleaning action, Color-X.

Top coats vary between NXT, #26 (Hi-Tech), or #20 (Poly/Sealant), depending on the "Mood" I'm in. #20 lasts pretty long. It seems to last the longest for me, in the Meguiar's product line. BUT, before winter sets in, I use Collinite Insulator Wax, # 845. It was originally developed to coat "Power" lines, to prevent "Flashovers". It insulates the surface

from sun, rain, salt spray, bugs, birds, dew, and smog. It's fairly detergent-proof. If you want "Thick", Collinite is the deal. I don't work for them, nor Meguiar's. I'm just passing on what works for me.

BTW, I also coat the underside of my garden tractor mower deck, with Collinite. It works there too, to keep the grass from "Sticking", especially after installing the "Gators"....

rek

Sounds good, I may look for the Collinite 845 stuff.

As for the positive battery bolt (what started this thread), I don't need a new one -- just disassembled the positive battery connection and cleaned everything real good. Man, where those cables CRUSTY! I can't believe the car started at all (sometimes slow cranks in the cold). I used a brass brush on all the "flat blade" ends of the cables (after removing the rubber insulators) and cleaned all the scale off. I know I have a good connection now, and the bolt isn't overtorqued to get a good electrical path.

Archived