CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Windshield Wiper Arm Replacement

OynxSTS

This can't be right...

This morning my switch that drives the windshield squirter "failed". It had been acting up...for a couple of weeks now squirting the windshield at random and at the slightest touch... this morning it wouldn't stop... So I call my friendly parts guy and order a new stalk/switch..

Then I go through the steps to install it:

1) Disable the SIR (OK been there done that)

2) Remove trim covers (link to this step... ok)

3) To remove the trim covers... step one Remove Column! :blink::huh::o:blink: they're kidding right? The title is "Trim cover replacement - On Vehicle"

Its bad enough I have to replace the entire assembly for one little Fubar'ed switch... but I have to yank the entire column!

Someone please tell me it isn't so!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I was under the impression that those stalks just twisted in and out..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

OK so I went down to the parking garage and began to take the car apart... (in suit and tie)

The lower trim cover and the knee bolster are a piece of cake... nice design 2 Philips screws...

This gives easy access to the two torx screws that hold in the column trim covers... I removed those... looks like it should just "snap" out... I'll try again at my "coffee" break... It looks like Fred is right and the steering wheel will need to come out... I actually have 2 pullers at home. GM changed the design of these and the newer cars require an "interference" puller unlike the older cars that used a "threaded" system... Don't know why the change... the threaded pullers worked better IMO.

Regarding twist in/out... GM abandoned these types of stalks a few years ago... the pre 97 might have them... but most GM cars now have the stalk, switch and wires as one "big" assembly...

This is supposed to make repairing easier... :lol: !

I'm starting to get grumpy... On a positive note the 4 +1 bolts that hold the column into the car are fairly easy to get to... and bonus, they need a 13mm crowfoot socket wrench and a "reversed" #7 Torx socket... Any project that justifies new tools is a good one!

caddy.jpg

Greg

Well good luck, you'll get it.. Buy those tools, any excuse!

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Regarding twist in/out... GM abandoned these types of stalks a few years ago... the pre 97 might have them... but most GM cars now have the stalk, switch and wires as one "big" assembly...

This is supposed to make repairing easier... :lol: !

My 1998 has the twist in/out stalk.

That is an ugly R&R you're facing. What were they thinking?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

All the Eldos are based on the 92 design... and they still have the old school multifunction lever.. snaps in...easy fix...

The more I look at mine the more confident I can do this without a re & re...

I'll keep you posted...

caddy.jpg

Greg

• 1 month later...

DONE!

The FSM calls for the removal of

1) SIR Fuse

2) Kick panels

3) Air Bag

4) Steering Wheel

5) Knee bolster

6) Upper and Lower Column Covers

7) Column tilt switch

8) Pinch bolt to intermediate shaft

9) The whole Steering column...

10) Fish out old switch and wire

11) Fish in new

(reverse steps 9 -1)

The switch and stalk assembly itself snaps in without any screws...

In spite of what the FSM says... I managed to complete this without Re&re in the column

Steps I took:

Remove:

1) SIR Fuse

2) Kick panels

3) Knee Bolster

4) Upper and Lower Column covers (the kinda snap in) the lower one is held on with 2 torx screws (use a 1/8" Allen key) and the upper on is held on with one "inverted #7" torx bolt (use a 4mm socket) I did not remove the tilt switch I just let it dangle on the wire

5) With the help of a small cardboard box on the drivers seat I removed the 4 13mm bolts that hold the column into the car. I then carefully lowered the column about 2" and had the steering wheel rest on my "box" helper

6) Fished out old and fished in new... undo...

I don't think that I saved any time... as doing it this way requires hanging upside down in the foot well for about 90 minutes

But I did manage to avoid pulling the air bag, the steering wheel and

besides the pinch bolt looked completely impossible to get to.

caddy.jpg

Greg

Archived