CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 Deville Has Goten Loud

GreenMachine

A restricting exhaust will cut into your gas mileage.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

• 3 months later...

Alright in the next couple of weeks the mufflers are going to get replaced. I don't know if you can see in the other pictures but both mufflers were starting to corrode. Now both have a hole and the car is getting louder...I don't mind it but my father wants it a bit quieter...more on that in a second.

I have found a shop that will pretty much do anything I want.

Any of you able to get sound recorded yet for your vehicles. The guy at the shop told me that I would get a droning sound with borlas, magnaflows etc. He recommended something closer to stock and told me they would put anything I want on, if I brought the mufflers in 100 bucks to put them on. They also said the Borlas would definitely be louder than the car in its current state.

He offered to set it up so when they were doing it the mufflers could be swapped out so I could hear them all at the different ranges and find something that I and my father liked.

They have a brand that they will install for around 300 that has a lifeteim gareentee, and currently out performs the big brands in dyno tests and such. Will be looking at that since Borlas are 280 to start, 100 to put on would give me sub 500 number.

The mufflers they offer come in 3 lines, OEM sound, bit louder, and hot rod level sound....they have better names but thats basically how I understood it, and I remember the stock mufflers gave a decent rumble so the bit louder might be the way to go.

In any event I'll keep you posted.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I would check closer into exactly what brand they are selling you, what they're made of, and how they "out perform" the big brands. Most of the folks here have happily installed Dynomax Super Turbos on their cars for a mellow tone yet slightly increased volume. Their quality is known and their sound is known and you'd be hard to go wrong with those.

Even though a muffler they might sell you has a "lifetime warranty", you never know what the terms of that include. Ensure that protects against corrosion or rust-through (maybe their guarantee is simply workmanship only, and doesn't include "normal wear and tear").

Not trying to be skeptical, just cautious. If a deal sounds like such a no-brainer, there's usually something behind the scenes.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Yeah I will be asking more questions, but was just curious as to anyones experience with borlas and droning.

They have magnaflows there, which they said may also give me a droning. Which is the more expensive muffler of the ones they offer. I'll keep you all updated on what my decisions are.

The Green's Machines

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Its a tricky Decision E, anything other than stock will have a certain amount of drone (I have magnaflows) but you won't now how much till you put them on and if its to much your up a creek.

Joe

My ProXS Borlas have an audible hum at speed. At city or highway speeds with the windows up and the radio at normal volume, it's not noticeable.

There is a comfortable, low-pitch rumble at idle. My wife likes it. When I start it, I get grins from surprised bystanders, and an occasional comment "Now, that's a Cadillac!" And, nobody calls it a boat anymore.

The classic straight-through muffler roar at full throttle inhibited my lead foot for about a month. I gradually got over being shy and now ignore it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Alright the brand they have in house is called "Solo Mufflers".

http://www.solo-performance.com/muffler_series.html

I was thinking of going the "Storm route"

"In the Spirit of the most powerful of storms comes the muffler you can count on to deliver! The Storm Series provides optimum flow, increase horsepower and better gas mileage. All that comes without the noise of the competition. The Storm helps to eliminate annoying cabin drone at cruise speeds and gives that sound you need to feel when you hit the gas! The Storm Series is ideal for domestic performance and engines that have the power to "RIDE OUT THE STORM!""

Since they offered to mock up a setup for each of the mufflers and see which ones I like I figured I'd give them all a try. (the three solos and the magnoflow) Basically attach them while on the rack and rev it a and such a bit).

He said the magnaflows will not nessaciarlly give me a big drong but more of a bark in the cabin, which I don''t think I would mind. I think Borla is out of the question at the moment because I'm not really sure what the return policy of wicked nicky's is and they're the only way I could get Borlas for a competitive price.

Should also note I was wrong on the price.

The Magnaflow is going to be around 350. Solos are around 400. Which still compared to what the OEM price is (280 for just the left side) its still works out to a decent price. I'll do some more research on these mufflers.

The Green's Machines

They look pretty good. Stainless construction should last a while. $400 for a pair of mufflers installed isn't all that cheap (so I would forget any concerns about them being junk). I've never heard of Solo mufflers before, but they look pretty good. Let us know what you decide to do!

Did a bit more reading and their home office is in Ontario, so if something goes wrong I'll just drive up there :) Seems right now they are mostly just in the Northeast, all good companies seem to start small so looks good to me. From their sample Pontiac sound, it nice they got a 4 banger to sound that nice, no farter can there.

I'm splitting the bill with my father so it'll be 200 each, in that sense not bad at all :)

I'll probibly be going over there today since their open late, or Saturday.

I'd do a dyno run for you guys so we could see the before "holy" mufflers and the aftermarkets I choose but Dyno's can be expensive and it would make me to nervous that something could break....then again couldn't be much worse than accelerating from the highway on ramps :P

Now if this was summer time there's a place that does dyno days where you wait in line and pay 20 bucks to get your first dyno of the night, the winner of the event gets some sort of price (whoever dyno's highest). I'll probibly do that once and we can compare it where devilles usually dyno. There is a place that has an 1/8 mile track around here that does a similar thing, hmmm....its real easy for us enthusiasts to get long winded isn't it.

The Green's Machines

Alright new mufflers, and chrome tips, are in place, here are some pictures [click to make bigger]:

Before:

IPB Image IPB Image

After:

IPB Image IPB Image

All out the door for $406.20 after Erie County took their share (before tax $373.52). Went the with the Solo Storm Muffler and basic "Solo SS Tip". http://www.solo-performance.com/muffler_series.html

Working on a video/sound file. Doesn't sound on file like it does in person. But these mufflers do what they say, when I was revving it a bit for my brother and his friend they didn't notice much of a difference...then I gave it a bit more of a rev and their eyes opened. When driving around I don't get much if any drone, so far am very pleased, will let you guys know over the long run.

The Green's Machines

sorry guys didn't relize I corrupted pictures uploaded, the new ones should work, same names so I didn't have to change the links, should work by clicking on them above^

The Green's Machines

3rd time the charm?

Click to make bigger (I hope):

Before:

IPB Image IPB Image

After:

IPB Image IPB Image

Also I went ahead and cleaned up my fuel lines that were coated in surface rust and some other rust spots and put sort of undercoating rust stuff on some spots to see how it turns out. Got around to putting on that EVAP Can and Wheel well so it all opened up and easy to service :)

The Green's Machines

Alright got a video up...although not the best sound quality you can see it has a pleasing sound that brings a smile to my face when I push it :) If I get a drivebay vid you see its pretty "stock" until I drop the hammer :)

The Green's Machines

Those tips look GREAT! There's a 97-99 DeVille around here with the exact same style. Very sublte, but just enough so you can see them. Nice job!

Embedded version:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="

name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

thanks bruce!

The Green's Machines

Archived