CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Problems fixed

Well I bought a 2001 DTS. It had 106,000 on it when I bought it. It has the diamond white paint,night vision,memory seats, nav system, rain sensor,heated seat mesage,6 cd changer, tire sensors, chrome wheels , and tinted windows

I took a road trip from Florida to Virginia. Half way into the trip the service engine soon light came on. When I got to Va. a Buddy of mine scan the car and got the seloniod code for the toque coverter lock up. I drove it back and before I could get it to the transmission shop it started throwing the torgue converter code too. I was clearing the codes daily.

So the shop called and said the seloniod was burned in two. Wanted to know if I wanted to replace the converter too. I asked what the chances were on it and he said 50/50. So I bite the bullett and am having it replaced also. It was a extra $500.

$1,700 dollars later it should be fine. The car shifted fine the whole time but my understanding is if you don't fix it the transmission will suffer and possible fail altogether.

I hope this is the end of the problems with this cadillac. I really like the car and got it for a good price. More problems arise and she might have to go. It now has 110,000 on it one month later.

Well thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Well I bought a 2001 DTS. It had 106,000 on it when I bought it. It has the diamond white paint,night vision,memory seats, nav system, rain sensor,heated seat mesage,6 cd changer, tire sensors, chrome wheels , and tinted windows

I took a road trip from Florida to Virginia. Half way into the trip the service engine soon light came on. When I got to Va. a Buddy of mine scan the car and got the seloniod code. I drove it back and before I could get it to the transmission shop it started throwing the torgue converter code too. I was clearing the codes daily.

So the shop called and said the seloniod was burned in two. Wanted to know if I wanted to replace the converter too. I asked what the chances were on it and he said 50/50. So I bite the bullett and am having it replaced also. It was a extra $500.

$1,700 dollars later it should be fine. The car shifted fine the whole time but my understanding is if you don't fix it the transmission will suffer and possible fail altogether.

I hope this is the end of the problems with this cadillac. I really like the car and got it for a good price. More problems arise and she might have to go. It now has 110,000 on it one month later.

Well thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Please explain what solenoid you had changed, because if you paid $1200 for a shift solenoid code you got screwed. Normally the dealer charges about $250-$300 for shift solenoids.

Torque converter solenoid is something you could have lived with if you were so inclined. Many people do. It just means that the converter would not have locked and there would have been some minor slippage costing you about 1 MPG decrease in fuel economy.

It was the toque converter lock up selonid. The transmission has to be dropped down to access this part.

OK, I guess I still can't read. :blink: Sorry for the confusion. :unsure: That sounds more reasonable. You should be good for another 100,000 more miles now. :) Welcome to the forum. ;)

Welcome to Caddyinfo. You will find a lot of regulars who like to keey their cars in tip-top shape and help visitors who come with questions. We have a lot of fun, too, and we're all gentlemen. A rather astounding amount of GM experience and expertise is found here. Browse the whole board, and the whole site. You'll like what you see.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Folks,

I found this forum after I noticed a "chuggle" in my '94 Deville Concours - and researched it a bit. The site's outstanding information, great membership, witty repartee and patient host convinced me to contribute and visit often.

This odd, powertrain vibration was only between 45-50 mph on level, smooth road and was suposedly due to a problem with the torque convertor lock-up. However, I never received any code (in fact only one "low Washer Fluid" in the 120,000 miles or so that I have driven it - hard). The chuggle stops if the brake is lightly pressed, if power is applied or if the speed is above or below that range.

There was some information that the chuggle was more noticable due to transmitted/amplified engine vibrations at a given speed as well. Maybe so, but I still have not bothered to clean the internal egr passages etc (the instructions from this forum are still on the second shelf). If the BRD (BIg Red Dog) ever coughs or sputters - I'll get right on it... :rolleyes:

I never considered repair, and decided to simply add power. This chuggle issue may be differant than other torque convertor problems, because the car still gets 23-24 mpg at an average speed of 80 mph on relatively level terrain. Then again, top end seems to hover around 126, so maybe it really is suffering all ths time? :unsure:

Enjoy your Caddy, :D

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived