CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Just bought my first cadillac, 2002 Deville DTS

Welcome to Caddyinfo!

Always use premium fuel.

Change the exhaust to a high-flow exhaust system.

Don't add hundreds of pounds of stereo gear or large wheels

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Don't let anyone con you into putting a K&N on there

They flow more at first but clog up quickly and they let alot of foreign material in the motor... that's bad for the motor.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Not much room for play here.

If you wanna go faster, get a Camaro/Firebird. Lottsa bolt ons . . . .

Go in Comfort,

Warren

EDIT: Oh, yeah . . . . Mustangs. :P

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

What about the Fleetwood with the LT1

Fred,

It GOES in comfort . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

And looks a darn site better than a Camaro :P

End of discussion. :D Yes?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Fred,

Just joking, the LT-1 is handsome! That Mustang thing is another story . . . . ripped a few off when they weren't looking.

Warren

Posted Image

Am I missing something with using fuel? The only time I use premium fuel(91) is when I take a long trip or drive in the mountains. The owners manual requires only 87. I have owned the car since it was new and have never had any trouble with it.

Welcome to Caddyinfo!

Always use premium fuel.

Change the exhaust to a high-flow exhaust system.

Don't add hundreds of pounds of stereo gear or large wheels

The 2000+ Northstars don't require premium fuel. My DTS runs just fine on regular. I have a Corsa exhaust system on it - they claim 20 HP to the wheels on a dyno. It sounds VERY mean and looks nice, too.

IPB Image

Jim

Among other things, the compression ratio was lowered to allow the use of regular grade gasoline. Not to worry.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

To make it faster, try this:

By the highest octane gas available. If you don't see a performance difference between 93 and 89, try another station. In fact, shop around stations and brands in your area. Not all gasoline provides the very best performance. Price is not correlated with gas quality at all. When you find a good station for performance and gas price, stay with it.

Put on the Borla XS series mufflers, not just the turbo general replacements. Any muffler shop can put them on in a hour or two. They will use the stock tips, which come with the GM mufflers. These mufflers show almost two inches of daylight through an offset-in, center-out jog, and others can claim lower restriction but I don't see how they can deliver it. The exhaust note is very acceptable and very pleasant to those with sensitive ears. My wife likes it.

Using 5W-30 synthetic oil will add a little snap to the throttle response. I don't have a dyno report but I have noticed slightly better performance in my 1990 Pontiac Grand AM Quad 4 HO and in my 1997 Eldorado Sport Coupe (300 hp), as compared to even 5W-30 conventional oil, which I don't recommend in a Northstar. Change at 3,000 mile intervals, or when the oil life indicator shows 50%. You can consider going to 10W-30 in very hot weather or seasonally when your dealer switches from 5W-30 to 10W-30. I use Mobil 1. Others will have many opinions; ignore them if you are after performance. Your car will love it. Sorry, guys.

Performance tires on the stock wheels will have lower rolling resistance and higher traction at the start, when you need it most. They will also have better cornering performance, which you will find liberating, and better stopping performance, which you will need with better going performance. Try 32 psi or even higher if you like the ride. Never, ever, allow any tire to go below 30 psi.

Make sure that the engine tune is top-notch. Check the plug wires and coils, the plugs (change at 75,000 miles, not 100,000, and consider replacing the plug wires with them), place the plug wires exactly where they say in the factory shop manual, change the fuel pressure regulator at the first sign of decreasing economy with longer hot starts, and keep a fresh air cleaner element. No air cleaner element provides better overall performance including peak horsepower than the stock Delco unit.

Make sure that everything else is in tip-top shape, like the transmission (change fluid and service it every 30,000 miles but don't flush), the brakes, the suspension, and the cooling system (change the coolant and replace with 50-50 Dexcool every 3 to 4 years, and add three pellets of GM sealant to the lower radiator hose, but don't flush), the serpentine belt (replace every 30,000 miles), etc..

Be sure and put some highway miles on your car on a regular basis. If you can't, then take your car out of town on the freeway or turnpike for 15 minutes every week, or an hour every month. At the first sign of less-than-sterling response or oil burning, put it high on your priority list. You might consider the WOT routines recommended by our moderator, Bruce Nunnally, and others, if you don't have the turnpike access or the time. But, remember, a 1,000 mile highway road trip is the best thing you can do for a car with a lot of city miles on it, and nothing is a better de-carbonizer. Find a nice spa or national park about 500 miles away, and take a weekend there every year.

If you see a OBD-II code, even history, track the problem down and kill it. No exceptions. Remember, a lot of codes are set by other problems, like bad battery cable connections or temporary minor electrical signals from a power wash under the car or under the hood; clear the code from the console (not a code reader) and if they don't ever come back, they weren't real.

You will get just slightly more at the very top end with a low-restriction catalytic converter. It will make no difference below about 5,500 rpm. I haven't bothered with that one myself. But if you want absolute maximum peak horsepower, you will need a low-restriction catalytic converter. Make sure that it is placed at exactly the same point as the old one; the headers up to that point as terminated by the catalytic converter form resonances that shape the engine torque curve. Moving the catalytic converter won't help and it could hurt performance or even cause minor drivability problems.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I bought this car a few weeks ago, and I want to make it faster. Does any one have any ideas, I dont want to do anything to crazy. thanks

:lol: Trade it in on an STS :lol:

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

:lol: OUCH :lol: but true...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The DTS has the 300 hp engine, I believe, but small differences in the exhaust between the DTS and STS make the engine output noticeably less. Then, there is the extra weight. The suspension of a Deville will not match an STS for handling or cornering, but then an STS will never match a Deville for ride and comfort.

Try the Borla XS series and see what you think. That may bring the engine output up to or slightly better than that of an STS with stock exhaust. In any case, that is the most horsepower gain you will get with something simple and legal. If that works for you, you can add the other stuff as you think fit. If it isn't enogh, or you don't like the sound, put the stock mufflers back.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

How much did those borlas installed cost you Jim?

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I bought the Borlas online, part number 40357 (2 1/4" in and out, center/offset). These are Pro XS series, not general replacement turbo part number 40652 that was recommended by Bruce Nunnally as having worked well on his STS. The Pro XS series is their performance line, not their general replacment turbo muffler line, and I was concerned (unnecessarily) about noise....

As you remember, I had accident damage to both mufflers and one set of tips was destroyed. A complete 1994 STS (I think) pair of mufflers with tips was found at a local wrecking yard, which we bought for the tips (about $100). The body shop cut off the damaged parts and found that their general replacement adapters and bends (the bend on the right side behind the rear Y was damaged and cut off) and their repair would amount to too many little pieces and they sent the whole thing to a Meineke that they deal with. I would have to go get the Meineke warranty, but the cost was very moderate. The piples at the rear Y are 2" not 2 1/4" so you might consider working with the muffler shop before you order your Borlas. However, they adapted to my existing Borlas and had the whole system up, including used tips from other mufflers, looking and sounding good for under $100.

Now, I occasionally get admiring stares, and once, after starting the car and turning it around in a tight parking lot, I heard a woman tell her 15-year-old child "Now, THAT is a CADILLAC."

The bottom line is that my case was very atypical, with damage to my exhaust system to piping behind the rear Y and the mufflers that you would not change. The biggest problem about the whole thing was getting tips, because GM was out of stock with my mufflers/tips at that time. You can figure the cost of the Borlas plus under $100, using your old tips. The Borlas are shorter than the stock mufflers, and if you use 2 1/4" Borlas there will be some minor adaptation in and out of them. I would use the 2 1/4" Borlas, but again you should work with your local muffler shop.

I bought the Borlas online, part number 40357 (2 1/4" in and out, center/offset). These are Pro XS series, not general replacement turbo part number 40652 that was recommended by Bruce Nunnally as having worked well on his STS. The Pro XS series is their performance line, not their general replacment turbo muffler line, and I was concerned (unnecessarily) about noise....

As you remember, I had accident damage to both mufflers and one set of tips was destroyed. A complete 1994 STS (I think) pair of mufflers with tips was found at a local wrecking yard, which we bought for the tips (about $100). The body shop cut off the damaged parts and found that their general replacement adapters and bends (the bend on the right side behind the rear Y was damaged and cut off) and their repair would amount to too many little pieces and they sent the whole thing to a Meineke that they deal with. I would have to go get the Meineke warranty, but the cost was very moderate. The piples at the rear Y are 2" not 2 1/4" so you might consider working with the muffler shop before you order your Borlas. However, they adapted to my existing Borlas and had the whole system up, including used tips from other mufflers, looking and sounding good for under $100.

Now, I occasionally get admiring stares, and once, after starting the car and turning it around in a tight parking lot, I heard a woman tell her 15-year-old child "Now, THAT is a CADILLAC."

The bottom line is that my case was very atypical, with damage to my exhaust system to piping behind the rear Y and the mufflers that you would not change. The biggest problem about the whole thing was getting tips, because GM was out of stock with my mufflers/tips at that time. You can figure the cost of the Borlas plus under $100, using your old tips. The Borlas are shorter than the stock mufflers, and if you use 2 1/4" Borlas there will be some minor adaptation in and out of them. I would use the 2 1/4" Borlas, but again you should work with your local muffler shop.

Jim, are you a politician by chance? :P All that, and you never did state the cost. :rolleyes:

Yeah unfortunatly in 98 the deville apparantly doesn't have any tips, at least mine doesn't, not chrome anyway, just things coming out of the mufflers.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

Archived