CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Engine Miss

Kohler

My father-in-law has a 1995 Deville with about 130,000 miles. He told me this past weekend that it had started to miss a little. I asked him how long it had been since plug and wire change and his reply was...Never. Having changed his plugs, wires, cap and rotor he called me this afternoon to inform me that it is missing. Upon quick check, sure enough number 2 and number 4 cylinders are no good. We put the old wires back on those two plugs with no luck. This seems like an oversight of some kind but the thing runs like a wooden wheel wagon now. I checked the codes and the only thing that came up was I039 which I do not think has anything to do with the engine. Any thoughts??

My father-in-law has a 1995 Deville with about 130,000 miles. He told me this past weekend that it had started to miss a little. I asked him how long it had been since plug and wire change and his reply was...Never. Having changed his plugs, wires, cap and rotor he called me this afternoon to inform me that it is missing. Upon quick check, sure enough number 2 and number 4 cylinders are no good. We put the old wires back on those two plugs with no luck. This seems like an oversight of some kind but the thing runs like a wooden wheel wagon now. I checked the codes and the only thing that came up was I039 which I do not think has anything to do with the engine. Any thoughts??

Another failed tune-up story... Why not to find the source of the miss first instead of changing everything and causing new problems? Recheck the wires, they could hook them up incorrectly.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Plugs & wires do not owe you anything at that mileage. I would replace the distributer cap, rotor, plugs, & wires. That should take care of the missing problem.

Plugs & wires do not owe you anything at that mileage. I would replace the distributer cap, rotor, plugs, & wires. That should take care of the missing problem.

Paul,

He did.

Did you check the coil pack, maybe 2 and 4 are the same coil. When you don't tune up with plugs and wires it strains the electrical, because it needs more voltage to fire the engine. Coils normally don't go but when you don't tune up , there is a chance. GOOD LUCK

This is a 4.9, only one coil in the cap.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Did you check the coil pack, maybe 2 and 4 are the same coil.

I'm guessing he's talking about a 4.9L. No distributor cap on a N*.

I'd be curious to know what "number 2 and number 4 cylinders are no good" means. Do I understand correctly it was running better before the surgery?

More info please?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Sounds like a short in the distributor cap, or between the plug wires for #2 and #4. That happens with a new cap. A piece of grease, or even a finger print can do it. Remove and clean the new cap and rotor, and check the spark for #2 and #4 by pulling the plug wires and using a spark checker from an auto parts store.

As a long shot, make sure that the routing of the wires is right according to the firing order. For the 4.9, it's 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, same as most GM V8's (but not the Northstar).

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

This is one of those times where slowing down and making sure things are done correctly would have been better. He called, I went over to check the situation, asked a few questions and let him talk me in to something being wrong. Once I backtracked everything he had done it would up being a bad plug wire. Only one though (#2). I am sorry for the false alarm but I was sure he had managed to pull a good one...unfortunately he did, on me! I must say that the response was impressive. You have a good board and I will be back. Thanks, Steve

Paul,

He did.

:blink: Sorry, can't read after DEBRI's post. :rolleyes::lol::D

Paul,

He did.

LOL

Paul,

He did.

Good god who could

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

I must say that the response was impressive. You have a good board and I will be back. Thanks, Steve

Aw shucks, <kicks the can>.

YEP.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Thanks Bruce!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived