CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

serp belt that eliminates a/c

Just because someone on the internet has performed an improper repair and got the system to function does not mean that it will hold up long term or the two refrigerants won't react and create an acid that will eat the evaporator core...

You can't legally vent ANY refrigerant to the atmosphere. If it were my car, I would have the leak located and repaired. It could be that it is so small of a leak that it took years to leak down enough for the low refrigerant code to set. Then have a shop recharge it with R-12. If you just want to top it off you could buy a can of R-12 on ebay but you'll need a charging hose also. You also need EPA-609 certification to buy R-12 even off ebay although there are some sellers who don't ask for an EPA number.

Improper repair techniques and venting of refrigerants is why R-12 is restricted and costs so much these days...

Thanks for your viewpoint. I will take it into consideration.

• 12 years later...

Kent Moore used to have a 'test belt'....I'm sure those are long gone. 

Your car is using a Buick 3800 engine that wasn't ever used in Cadillacs. Also known as a 3.8L. 

Anyway....did find some info that may or may not be correct. 

image.png