CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Stupid windows update.. anyone else having trouble?

I run Windows 2000 because it is rock solid and functional.. can't play many games on it so most people don't like it but I'm not sitting here to play games I don't like games because they're not profitable,

Well anyway ever since I installed the newest patches for the o/s and probably the browser, any time I reply to a topic or make a new thread or just really any time I post anything on here to Caddyinfo- the darned browser shuts down and restarts itself..

Anyone else having the same problem?

The stupid automatic updater waits until I reboot my machine- comes up right there as soon as it's booted all up and installs some things- and then a popup comes up all of the time telling me to restart to apply the updates. That happens every week or two. That's pretty darned stupid if you ask me, wait for a guy to reboot and then do something that requires a reboot- go figure :unsure:

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

If you havn't already, you should scan for malware and parasites. IE should not be opening and shutting like you describe. If you don't have a spyware program you can scan for free at Trend Micro's website. TM will also allow free scanning for viruses.

IE

One word: Opera

http://www.opera.com

I used it for several years with Win2K, and now with XP.

Rock solid, extremely secure, faster than greasy BBs

Skinnable, extremely customizable, tabbed browsing for 3+ years now, etc etc etc.

Perhaps the finest piece of non-mainstream software I've ever seen.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

hey fred ive had 2000 i really thought it was prettygood until i got xp xp is great but i imagine you have an older computer with about 20 gig i would seriously think about upgrading to a largeer computer and a flat screen monitor i bought one for my daughter last week best buy price 299

100 gig 256 ram upgradable 5.5 meg with xp and various software with 17in flatscreen monitor

its an e machine and warrantied by e macines for one year also 6usb ports

it sounds likeyour macine will cost u more in time and headaches than a new one is worth

take it from me xp is slick

I run Windows 2000 because it is rock solid and functional.. can't play many games on it so most people don't like it but I'm not sitting here to play games I don't like games because they're not profitable,

Well anyway ever since I installed the newest patches for the o/s and probably the browser, any time I reply to a topic or make a new thread or just really any time I post anything on here to Caddyinfo- the darned browser shuts down and restarts itself..

Anyone else having the same problem?

The stupid automatic updater waits until I reboot my machine- comes up right there as soon as it's booted all up and installs some things- and then a popup comes up all of the time telling me to restart to apply the updates. That happens every week or two. That's pretty darned stupid if you ask me, wait for a guy to reboot and then do something that requires a reboot- go figure :unsure:

How else do you expect the feds to be able to drop in that backdoor trojan? After seeing your website (etc) it's not hard to imagine why you're probably on their list. I would start by formating the HD, then daisy chain about 3 routers (different brands), and then use a routing script. Of course I'm kidding..... but you never know ;). Like Mac indicated it sounds like a virus(s) or aggressive spyware. Start with the basics. 1- Antivirus program.... that's updated. 2- Spyware program.... that's updated. 3- Firewall.... that's updated.

Most people have these three but only a small percentage keep them updated. And that makes them pretty much useless. Let us know what the scans reveal. A tenacious trojan or spyware always excites me. It's amazing what some people can create.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

hey fred ive had 2000 i really thought it was prettygood until i got xp xp is great but i imagine you have an older computer with about 20 gig i would seriously think about upgrading to a largeer computer and a flat screen monitor i bought one for my daughter last week best buy price 299

100 gig 256 ram upgradable 5.5 meg with xp and various software with 17in flatscreen monitor

its an e machine and warrantied by e macines for one year also 6usb ports

it sounds likeyour macine will cost u more in time and headaches than a new one is worth

take it from me xp is slick

I run decent equipment... Pentium D 3.0 / 800 / 2 --- 2048 Mushkin DDR2 --- WD 10,000RPM SATA etc

How else do you expect the feds to be able to drop in that backdoor trojan? After seeing your website (etc) it's not hard to imagine why you're probably on their list. I would start by formating the HD, then daisy chain about 3 routers (different brands), and then use a routing script. Of course I'm kidding..... but you never know ;). Like Mac indicated it sounds like a virus(s) or aggressive spyware. Start with the basics. 1- Antivirus program.... that's updated. 2- Spyware program.... that's updated. 3- Firewall.... that's updated.

Most people have these three but only a small percentage keep them updated. And that makes them pretty much useless. Let us know what the scans reveal. A tenacious trojan or spyware always excites me. It's amazing what some people can create.

If they want to know about you they just do... I don't think they need something so simple as a "backdoor trojan". They can even listen to a keyboard and know what is being written on it. I think that they can also capture your screen from a short distance not being in the line of sight.

IE

One word: Opera

http://www.opera.com

I used it for several years with Win2K, and now with XP.

Rock solid, extremely secure, faster than greasy BBs

Skinnable, extremely customizable, tabbed browsing for 3+ years now, etc etc etc.

Perhaps the finest piece of non-mainstream software I've ever seen.

Good idea but I like to stay with IE for certain reasons..

I remember opera from way back and it is solid

If you havn't already, you should scan for malware and parasites. IE should not be opening and shutting like you describe. If you don't have a spyware program you can scan for free at Trend Micro's website. TM will also allow free scanning for viruses.

I scan often for malware ... and I look for unexplained processes / services :)

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

I run Norton Internet Security 2006 on my desktop and McAfee security packages for virus, firewall, and spam/spyware on my laptop, and they are both good.

You can go to the Norton web site and get an online scan (use IE because this needs DirectX.

Don't just search for spyware protection and download something for a free scan. I did that once and the free scan software was spyware.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

" If they want to know about you they just do... I don't think they need something so simple as a "backdoor trojan". They can even listen to a keyboard and know what is being written on it. I think that they can also capture your screen from a short distance not being in the line of sight. "

Actually it's never quite as simple as you may think. It's easy to assume that the feds have this magic button that they press and POOF they have access to your computer, etc. It may be 2006 but advanced snooping technology still relys heavily on plain old intelligence gathering. There are a lot of nut jobs out there and few agents by comparison. As far as listening to a keyboard I assume you are referring to a key logger and not the sound a key makes striking the board. Guess what it takes a lot of skill to sneak a backdoor T so a logger can be installed. Then you have to hide it well because there are a lot of smart users like yourself out there. Ever see what a hardwired logger looks like? Bypasses most security measures and you don't even know it's there. Now that's cool technology. Oh and capturing the screen.....sure if you're on a wireless con or you've "allowed" ;) remote access. One day reality will catch up to the SciFi Channel. The concepts are neat though.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Ever see what a hardwired logger looks like? Bypasses most security measures and you don't even know it's there. Now that's cool technology.

In addition to spyware, virus and firewall protection, another part of security should be Rootkit Hook analyzer software to detect system changes and programs running in the background. Rootkits programs used by Sony to prevent unauthorized copying of CDs can leave a computer vulnerable to certain viruses. Sony BMG issued a statement regarding its XCP software and recommended that it be uninstalled to alleviate vulnerability concerns, and has also halted production of Rootkit CDs.

as silly as this sounds go over to Micro$oft's website and do a search in there knowlege base, I had a similar problem with a WinME machine I was working on and it ended up being a problem with the hidden recovery folder built into WinME, and it's size being reporting wrong. After I cleared that up, all the updates would install.

No I know that's not your problem since you are running 2k, but point is, that a KB article on MS's site tipped me off to it.

Good luck.

How long has it been since you put a fresh load of 2k on your system? As a last resort your could do that, you will be amazed at how well you system will run after that. You are right, 2k is rock solid as far as MS OSes go. And without all the freakin' eye candy!

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

The latest patches have a bug...it involves the HTML 1.1 and compressed data. That combination will cause IE to crash.

I've noticed it, too. MS is working on a fix.

TheFred, I understand that you've re-installed IE and now the latest patches are not active.. You're now vulnerable to some of the worst web-based worms. You'll prolly want to re-install the patches and just live with the IE crashes or you'll wind up visiting a website that has a worm that will cause you more inconvenience than just a crashed browser....

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

That is what I did,

Repatched and the problem came back..

As far as fixes for WinME -- WinME IS a problem :)

" If they want to know about you they just do... I don't think they need something so simple as a "backdoor trojan". They can even listen to a keyboard and know what is being written on it. I think that they can also capture your screen from a short distance not being in the line of sight. "

Actually it's never quite as simple as you may think. It's easy to assume that the feds have this magic button that they press and POOF they have access to your computer, etc. It may be 2006 but advanced snooping technology still relys heavily on plain old intelligence gathering. There are a lot of nut jobs out there and few agents by comparison. As far as listening to a keyboard I assume you are referring to a key logger and not the sound a key makes striking the board. Guess what it takes a lot of skill to sneak a backdoor T so a logger can be installed. Then you have to hide it well because there are a lot of smart users like yourself out there. Ever see what a hardwired logger looks like? Bypasses most security measures and you don't even know it's there. Now that's cool technology. Oh and capturing the screen.....sure if you're on a wireless con or you've "allowed" ;) remote access. One day reality will catch up to the SciFi Channel. The concepts are neat though.

No sir they can actually tell what you're typing by the actual sound of your key tapping there..

I've actually seen a home made screen "reradiator" or what ever it is called, the one I saw did not actually pick up the screen and put out something intelligable but it did produce ghosts of what was happening on the screen with a wall between it and the other monitor so I know the govt might have a better version of the same tech

PS: I did a quick search and... wow.... it seems like normal people know about it now

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=893

Hell I still know a l o t of juicy secrets that still are secrets anyway ;)

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Oh, I see. If the problems started right after the latest round of patches, then it's definitely the patches. A known bug was uncovered in the latest patches. I have XP and IE crashes on me, too. I didn't do that until the last Patch Tuesday.

I'm waiting for them to fix it....

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

IPB Image

I agree thu, I am having some weirdness also with XP, and I am patched up to date..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yah, I think it's better to suffer the occasional IE crashes and have the security patches rather than have IE not crash and be vulnerable to internet worms.

IPB Image

I totally agree

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived