CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Please avoid personal attacks/comments

Just back from a pleasant weekend at my daughters home.

I didnt remember reading BBobs responce to the HG issue although it does "ring a bell".

Sorry if my rather rash statement upset anyone especially since it appears to be unfounded for most all others. I based that statement on the info given me, at the time of the HG replacement, by the shop owner/mechanic/college instructer who is also a friend. He believed the bolt pulled and then the gasket failed. In retrospect, I can see where BBobs would rather blame the customer than the company. As well he should in his position. I have no idea who is correct or if possibly both are.

I bought the car 05/02 w/48K. Had it checked by Cad dealer who carbon cleaned, trans fluid changed & TB cleaned. At 75K 07/03 I droped the lower rad. hose and changed fluid & added GM tabs. Premixed the Dexcool w/distilled water & crushed the tabs like a good boy. On 08/05 the car overheated and after going through the cooling system checks on 09/05 at 114K the HG was replaced. Back bank, second cyl. from left(pass. side) seemed to be where the failure was most evident.

I have never said I thought a Cad was a lemon. Design improvements, are just that, "improvements". Obviously there was something that needed improveming. 03+ Cads dont seem to have the HG issue. So you can call it whatever you want. Fine w/me.

Perfection is something to strive for and Cad. IMO does a better job at it than most by making continual improvements, or corrections, depending on your symantics . This STS being my 6th Cad over the years demonstrates my believe in the brand.

I'd really like to apologize to to the board member that I upset enough that he used such a cowardly tactic by refering/comparing worldly events to call me names. (which I see has been removed) If you dont like or dissagree with what I say then please feel free to let me know or correct me.

Showing more class, upper not lower, should be a future goal of yours. [EXAMPLE OF OPPORTUNITY TO AVOID PERSONAL ATTACKS]

NO.... No class will be shown to RASH unsupported opinions at all when they disagree with a design engineer based on a local shop owner/mechanic/college instructers opinion. [EXAMPLE OF OPPORTUNITY TO AVOID PERSONAL ATTACKS]

When a Low Class STRONG opinion such as this:

No way can coolant cause the head bolts to pull and allow the gasses into the coolant

Is just thrown out there without support, you can expect my low class response again, opinions are just that opinions, try support OTHER THAN >> I can see where BBobs would rather blame the customer than the company. As well he should in his position and the owner/mechanic/college instructer believed the bolt pulled and then the gasket failed

And furthermore to make such STRONG statements and THEN say this >> I have no idea who is correct or if possibly both are, shows me you should NOT be making such statements in the first place.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Ahh, [expletive deleted] it. And [expletive deleted] you too BBF. I have read enough of your [expletive deleted] directed to me and other members.

Take a chill pill or learn to controle your agression on the net.

Ban me if you will but spare me any more [expletive deleted] from this pompus [expletive deleted]

None of this is necessary, helpful, or needed.

The purpose of the forum is to share information. BillK has valid information to share, in that he has had a number of northstars with head gasket failures. BBF has valid information to share regarding how to maintain the cooling system and try to prevent head gasket failure.

Please stay on topic. Take any grievances to email.

Site terms of usage are here: http://www.caddyinfo.com/terms.htm

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I am VERY careful not to put out mis-information, I don't get into threads I am not familiar with or that I can't add helpful information to and I try to support my opinions with my own experience, prior threads, photos and similar problem fixes. And I think I do a good job of that and enjoy it.

This historically has been an enthusiast board and it tends to be positive. I ALWAYS try to support my opinions with facts, even if my opinion has been developed from my contact with the guru, I reference him.

In what I do for a living, unsupported statements and opinions can land you in jail or at the very least get you sued. Everyone has buttons. My button is when someone makes unsupported HARD statements, like this statement >> No way can coolant cause the head bolts to pull and allow the gasses into the coolant. The use of NO WAY is an absolute statement, and is in the same category as NEVER, ALWAYS, CAN'T and I believe you better be 1000% sure about something BEFORE you use an absolute statement like NO WAY! Then the problem is referred to as a design flaw! One NS engine and one head gasket experience does not provide enough support to make an absolute statement! But I am referred to as pompous... funny. To make matters worse these statements go against everything the GURU (and I ASSUME we all know his experience) has taught and told us over the years and THEN the GURU is attacked for being a COMPANY MAN. Amazing..

There are VERY few people who can made absolute statements, to do so requires LOTS and LOTS of experience. EVEN when I am 100% right I rarely make an absolute statement as there are so many variables and I am reading someone's text! If our member IAN who has done hundreds of time-sert jobs made a statement like that, I would not have reacted as I did as his statements would have carried weight. We have seen some NS's crack, some with clogged rings, some throw rods, and maybe just maybe BillK's NS failed differently and it was NOT coolant related, but for him to generalize and condem all NS's with an absolute NO WAY statement crossed the boundary as to what was acceptible for me. Lest us not forget that this board has expanded and is being read wide and far and mis-information needs to be limited. I have very little patience for rash ABSOLUTE statements with little or no support or experience. I hope that clears up why I took offense to these statements. Sorry if any members didn't understand my reasoning.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived