CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Has the Northstar gone soft?

JasonA

Car & Driver has a "Short Take" on the '06 DTS. They drove a "1SE Performance Sedan". 0-60 in a middling 7.0 seconds. The 1/4 mile was even worse -- 15.4 seconds @ 92 mph. The numbers from the engine (and the curb weight) reveal the truth, 291 hp and only 286 lb*ft of torque! And that's not only the new SAE testing either...the HP peak is achieved at 5600 rpm (rather than the normal 6000 rpm for the L37 version), so something has been re-tuned.

With over 4200 pounds to haul around, I think GM needs to think about converting its 320-hp RWD VVT Northstar to FWD use and keeping the DTS competitive, in the engine department.

I sorta agree with their final statement. "The DTS is the perfect choice for buyers looking for big Cadillac style and lots of gadgets. But we'd take a V-8 Lucerne [which outruns the DTS] and pocket 20 grand."

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have a '06 Performance Sedan. I also drove a '06 Lucerne with the N*. The dealer let me have one for several hours.

I agree that the Lucerne may be a little quicker and a LOT quieter, but <at least to ME> it didn't handle NEAR as well.

The steering was real vague in normal driving and going around curves, like on the interstate, when you go from one highway to another.

You push it just a little .... and then it was ok.

But with your wife with you a lot of the time, you don't want to have to pull g's going around curves just to get a decent feel of the road.

My DTS has good feedback and nice steering. You always KNOW what it is doing, and for THAT feedback, I will sacrifice a tiny bit of performance anyday. :)

Besides, that gives me an excuse to see about putting a better exhaust system on it.

Posted Image

They had a bad test day I think, or that particular car ran slow.

Here's the story behind the 291hp as I understand it: The power output of the Deville configuration has likely not changed from previous years. However, previously the 300hp powertrain was not measured, but rather done by similarity based on the same powertrain installed on the STS, although the DTS and STS did not have the exact same configuration (exhaust routing and tone?). This year, the DTS high performance option is the only Cadillac with the FWD Northstar powertrain, so the dyno test had the exact DTS intake/exhaust setup to match the car. This resulted in 291hp instead of 300hp.

If they are going to continue the DTS in FWD a update to the FWD Northstar is in order.

"Classic" 300hp/275hp Northstar dyno:

IPB Image

2006 DTS certified dyno:

IPB Image

2005 DTS non-certified dyno:

IPB Image

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I agree that the Lucerne may be a little quicker and a LOT quieter, but <at least to ME> it didn't handle NEAR as well.

It surprises me that there were that many differences, especially the noise level. They're the same car, or at least share the same internals. I love the Buick's styling, and if it's even quieter/more serene than the Cadillac and at $20k cheaper, well, that's a hard combination to resist, for the traditional Cadillac buyer.

They had a bad test day I think, or that particular car ran slow.

I don't know --- the DTS ran 1/10th slower in both the quarter mile and 0-60. The Lucerne and DTS share the powertrain (actually, I think the Lucerne might have the LD8 instead of the L37), but the Buick is a few hundred pounds lighter. It does make sense to me.

Of course...this is only a statistical set of ONE (of each car), so it's hard to draw conclusions. But the general trend seems to be what I first felt -- GM needs to keep the update program on these FWD Northstars if they're going to retain this chassis platform.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I agree. It surprised me also about how quite the Lucerne was. It is probably the quitest car I have ever driven in my life but I did NOT like the handling on it, or I would have bought it. I am almost 62 and have driven a "LOT" of cars. :)

About it being quicker.... I didn't test it directly against a DTS Perfirmance Sedan. I hadn't bought mine yet. Mine ain't slow... but I have not yet dug out the stopwatch and timed it.

The Lucerne had a GREAT Harman Korden stereo. Sounded better <to me> than the Bose in the DTS. I like a lot of bass, The Bose don't have it and I have not found a way to add it. :angry:

But all in all ..... IT AIN"T A CADILLAC and "I" like Cadillac's. :)

Mine drives like I like 'em to. It handles well and runs good. Was running out in the country the other day on a very crooked road. Drive into the corner hard... brake late ... cut it hard... gas it hard and let the N* pull you thru and out of the corner. Often would get wheelspin from the inside tire as you come around the apex of the corner.

Might have to go back out there .... It was fun. <sitting here grinning just thinking about it.>

Posted Image

Howdy Boys and Girls,

I quick follow up to the preceding post. I am not a pure-d idiot. < a Texas expression > At least most of the time. I don't usually drive like I have lost my mind. As I said before, I am almost 62. Most of the time, I drive the Cadillac like a normal person would.

Growing up, my Father taught me to drive starting when I was about 11 years old. He was a truck driver, but had hauled liquor back in the depression. In the late 30's. He taught me how to do a 4 wheel drift as well as a couple of other things.

In a previous life, <before being an IT guy for a major bank> ... I had dirt track cars. I learned a tiny bit more about driving then.

BUT.... on this day ... I was by myself ... no other traffic around .... and the car just WANTED to be drove a little bit hard. When it tells you that ... you just can't say no to it.

Posted Image

For what it's worth, the cooler it runs and the colder the air, the more power it makes (well that's a duh statement but anyway).

Just messing around on a friend's dyno the other week I made 8/12 Hp/ft. lbs. more just by putting a bag of ice on the intake manifold for half an hour.

do the caddy and buick have the same tires? that could affect steering feel and handling.

Thanks. Didn't think of that. Will stop by a Buick dealer when I get a chance and check that.

Posted Image

Archived