CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

british equivalent of DEX-COOL coolant

I have a Seville STS 1998 right hand drive which I bought last year.

I live in Lincolnshire, England.

I am changng the coolant but cannot find DEX-COOL.

Any one know what is the equivalent that I can buy here? I get blank faces when I ask in local garages-VERY few cadillacs around here.

John :unsure:

It shouldn't be that uncommon. I think the ecotec engine used in several Vauxall's uses dexcool. In the US the same engine is used in the Chevy Colbalt, Saturn Ion among others. Maybe the local dealer would have some.

Check the Ampar stores; here is a dealer list for what appears to be your region: http://www.ampar.com/eastanglia.html

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

John,

I've got the same problem here in Germany, no Dex-Cool.

When I went to the nearest Cadillac dealer (very few over here anyway) they didn't have Dex-Cool in stock.

I asked them what they use and they replied that any silicate-free (usually red) coolant from a reputable manufacturer will work fine.

That's what I used, no problems since two years (will be changed again soon) , but no long time experiences of course...

Best

Stefan

It shouldn't be that uncommon. I think the ecotec engine used in several Vauxall's uses dexcool. In the US the same engine is used in the Chevy Colbalt, Saturn Ion among others. Maybe the local dealer would have some.

Check the Ampar stores; here is a dealer list for what appears to be your region: http://www.ampar.com/eastanglia.html

Thanks. I'll try this. Manchester dealer is expensive. It cost me £170 plus delivery cost of £130 for AcDelco battery engine from them. John

John,

I've got the same problem here in Germany, no Dex-Cool.

When I went to the nearest Cadillac dealer (very few over here anyway) they didn't have Dex-Cool in stock.

I asked them what they use and they replied that any silicate-free (usually red) coolant from a reputable manufacturer will work fine.

That's what I used, no problems since two years (will be changed again soon) , but no long time experiences of course...

Best

Stefan

I have just found out that the previous owner had used Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant. I've had no problems so far so I might be better to keep using that if I can get it in case I don't get rid of all of it and finish up mixing the remains of that with Dex-Cool as I've heard that you must not do this.

Thanks, John

they might not have filled it with dexcool from the start.

The most impotant part of the coolant change is the sealant pellets. This will stop small leaks before they turn into big leaks and help condition the system from my understanding.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

just to be clear, Havoline Extended life coolant is dex-cool, here at least:

http://www.havoline.com/products/na/antifreeze_01_tech.html

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Archived