CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Problem with the "STARTER" in hot times

zuzzzi

Hi,

i have a problem with my Seville STS 1992 to star the engine. Sometimes when it is hot, and I drive 1 hour with my car, and I´ll restart after 5 minutes or so, the starter do nothing. I must wait 30 -40 minutes and it works.

Any Ideas, or does anybody know, is there a relais to start or something else?

Sorry for my bad English.

Best Regards, Marco from Austria

Does the starter click when you turn the key? Are there any codes from the on-board diagnostic computer? You can get the diagnostic codes by following the procedure here.

The problem sounds like a bad battery cable connection. Check the cable at the battery positive terminal. There are two or three wires that come out of the positive termina battery cable connection, and sometimes corrosion can cause a bad connection to one of them. Check the battery ground cable and engine ground strap also.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Does the starter click when you turn the key? Are there any codes from the on-board diagnostic computer? You can get the diagnostic codes by following the procedure here.

The problem sounds like a bad battery cable connection. Check the cable at the battery positive terminal. There are two or three wires that come out of the positive termina battery cable connection, and sometimes corrosion can cause a bad connection to one of them. Check the battery ground cable and engine ground strap also.

Thanks, no there is no click or something, i will try to check the cables from Battery and Starter

But to know is there a relais in the wiring diagram to the starter, or is the cable direct from key to starter?

By

Marco

The starting circuit may have a security lockout but if that was active you would have a message on your computer. There is a starter relay on the starter itself that gives a lound click when it pulls in. The fact that it doesn't click is a clue to the problem. Look for the on-board diagnostic codes using the link in my prvious post, or go to the CaddyInfo home page and look for the "Reading Codes" link.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Marco,

It sounds exactly like a bad solenoid on the starter. Check all your battery connections first, but if they are OK bet on the solenoid being the culprit.

Hi,

i have a problem with my Seville STS 1992 to star the engine. Sometimes when it is hot, and I drive 1 hour with my car, and I´ll restart after 5 minutes or so, the starter do nothing. I must wait 30 -40 minutes and it works.

Marco,

This is a well known and common problem with older Cadillacs. The starter armature needs to be replaced. You can do that yourself if you get a right armature for some $30. Or you can buy a reman ACDelco for some $120 and replace yourself. It is not difficult if you know some tricks (I'll tell you). The reman starters are not perfect, but it is still better than old one. I went through the same problem and I know what you are experiencing.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hi,

Marco,

This is a well known and common problem with older Cadillacs. The starter armature needs to be replaced. You can do that yourself if you get a right armature for some $30. Or you can buy a reman ACDelco for some $120 and replace yourself. It is not difficult if you know some tricks (I'll tell you). The reman starters are not perfect, but it is still better than old one. I went through the same problem and I know what you are experiencing.

Hi, thanks for the answerd, you know my english is not so good, please where is the "starter armature"? 8 month ago a have replaced the starter soleonit switch!!

Marco

The starter armature is the inside of the starter, the part that turns. If you have a new solenoid, it might have a fault. I would go back to whoever put in the solenoid and ask them to look at it.

Archived