CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Do you move to the right lane?

Bill K

Do you move to the right lane for faster traffic?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you move to the right lane for faster traffic?

• Yes - Its the courteous & safe thing to do.
    • No - I drive the speed limit and so should everyone else.
    • Sometimes - If I think the ambulance really needs to get by.
    • This isnt a question as no one drives faster than me.

that also helps keep the drive interesting ^

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ALWAYS move over to the right if I am not passing. And I can't stand when people do not merge over!! That has got to be my biggest pet peeve!! And what makes it worse is, I stay behind them and wait for them to realize what they're doing. Most of the time, they never look behind them. That's when they get the high beams in their mirror. That usually wakes them up and they move over. Then there's the smart ones who see me but think they're too good to move over. Then they match the speed of the slow car in the slow lane. Backing up me and others that want to pass. Ok, I can't talk about this now, I'm all worked up! :P

IPB Image

Staying in the passing lane when you could move over or speed up and there's people behind you wanting to pass is nothing but rude and inconsiderate.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Staying in the passing lane when you could move over or speed up and there's people behind you wanting to pass is nothing but rude and inconsiderate.

Agree 100%. The same applies to local two-lane roads. You really cannot blame someone for driving slowly (say, a grandma forgot her glasses and now not shure she's on right lane :blink: ), but why not to pull over (assuming there is a wide shoulder) and let those 5-6 cars pass? :angry: Happens all the time here in beautiful Pennsylvania.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Agree 100%. The same applies to local two-lane roads. You really cannot blame someone for driving slowly (say, a grandma forgot her glasses and now not shure she's on right lane :blink: ), but why not to pull over (assuming there is a wide shoulder) and let those 5-6 cars pass? :angry: Happens all the time here in beautiful Pennsylvania.

Agreed! Left lane dwellers are one thing. But to intntionally speed and prevent someone from passing is idiotic. When done on a two-way street and being squeexed is no different than someone sticking a loaded gun in your face. My opinion of course.

Jim

On a 2-lane each way hiway I stay to the right, but on the freeways around here in Seattle I generally scoot to a lane that is speed appropriate and/or will end up, with all the lane adds and deletes along the way, an easy one-lane-change merge onto the exit. With the recent acquisition of this new-to-me Caddy - my first and not likely the last - I'm looking at revising those 'generality's...

On a 2-lane each way hiway I stay to the right, but on the freeways around here in Seattle I generally scoot to a lane that is speed appropriate and/or will end up, with all the lane adds and deletes along the way, an easy one-lane-change merge onto the exit. With the recent acquisition of this new-to-me Caddy - my first and not likely the last - I'm looking at revising those 'generality's...

I can certainly understand in an area that has a lot of merging traffic to stay clear of the right lane. Even so, one shouldn't clog up traffic because they don't want the let the faster traffic move on out.

Jim

Back in Sept I went on a 4500+ trip to NE and back. Mostly I stayed in the right lane if it was moving at the speed limit. I wasn't in any great hurry, but lots of other folks apparently were since most of the speed limits were 70mph/75mph and I sometimes got passed like I was parked....! That wasn't much of a surprise though. What was a big surprise was that everyone was moaning/groaning about the cost of gas, yet the speed limit wasn't fast enough for a lot of folks....

GM Reman 4.1 engine Dec '08

I've found that in some places, I feel safest getting in the far left lane and maintaining the speed in that lane -- even if it's way above the speed limit. Case in point, I-95 in Virginia, between Richmond and DC. Seems that everytime we go through there (a few times a year), the general flow of traffic in the right two lanes is 70-75 (speed limit 65), but those two lanes are clogged with truckers and lane merges, etc. The left lane usually cruises along at 80+ (I've driven 90 through there before, with folks sniffing my exhaust), but I feel far safer blending in with those guys than jockeying back and forth in the "slow" lanes.

Dave S: it is funny -- you see on the news all the time people complaining about gas prices, but you get out on the road (and even in town here) and a lot of what you see are Suburbans and Expeditions hauling buggy at 20+ over the speed limit. Say what now?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Heres the problem.....I live in Chicago, your lucky to be moving at all, also it kinda sucks around here when you get towards the city because there are some exits on the left and right so you tend to get alot of people cutting accross all lanes if they dont know their exit may be on either side. So i guess what im saying here is I just never stop passing anyone so i dont really need to leave the left lane...

• 1 year later...

Archived