CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

some questions

Adrian12

Hi!

I'm new at this forum and I've to say that I come from Austria, so my english isn't the best, sorry about this^^

Ähm I've a 1981 Cadillac Sedan DeVille V8 6l and some questions!

My cadillac has the trouble code E15 that points to "open coolant sensor" now I've the question how to check the sensor If the sensor is the reason, or the cable!

4 years ago the car was washed in the engine room and since this the car has given a "piep" and check engine light! the piep is gone away but the check engine light is still there, and now I'd use the car, but not if it has a problem^^

If somebody thinks that the sensor is broken down, pleas tell me how to exchange them on the easiest way! I've uploaded a picture from the engine!

IPB Image

Next I've the problem that the cables from the A/C- compressor are teared off!

now I've no plan what calbe is left and right in the plug! There comes one cable from the compressor and one from the bottom of the engine or so i don't know exactly

maybe you can help me what cable is left and right! I've sent you a pic there you can see which cables I mean!

IPB Image

Then the car has in P and N gear position too much gas. Somebody explained me that the sensor could be the reason, but I'm not sure! What do you say?

Then I've in the interior behind the rear seats on the left and right side lamps for the lighting, but the plastic is broken and now I need two new plastic-windows, but I don't know how they are called and how to exchange them.

Thanks for all answers and suggestions!

Regards

Adrian12

P015 (E015) ........................................ Open Coolant Temp Sensor Signal

I think you could run a continuity test on the sensor with a DVM (digital Volt Meter). no continuity would indicate a bad sensor I think. If the sensor is bad, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) thinks the engine is cold and richecns the mixture or doesn't know what the tempurature is and substitutes a default tempurature which may also cause it to run rich. I suspect that is what is triggering the check engine light if that is your only code. I'd probably change the sensor.

As far as the two wires to the compressor, I don't think it matters which one is left or right. See if others agree with me on both counts.

The compressor wires can be tested with an ohmmeter. There should be a low resistance, perhaps about 15 ohms, between the two wires leading to the compressor. There should be high resistance or no continuity from either of the wires leading to the compressor and ground. Ground is the engine or frame at any convenient point, such as the body of the alternator.

Given that the compressor line checks good, you can plug in the harness either way and it should work. Of course, to function properly, all of the air conditioner components must be in working condition.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The coolant temp. sensor is probably bad. With the 368 (V8-6-4) engine, a bad coolant temp. sensor will cause a very high idle. The A/C compressor wires have a diode across the terminals to protect the other electrical components from back EMF when the clutch kicks off. The banded (cathode) end of the diode is connected to the positive side of the circuit.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

okay you all think it is the sensor, I'll try to get a new one and to exchange the old!

To the sensor, does anybody knows how to exchange it in the easiest way? I don't want to take off the pipe of the climate control to reach the sensor!?

to the A/C compressor!

KHE you said theere is a diode, this is a resistor in my opinion, and a resistor has no plus or minus I think!?

If there is a plus or minus, I've the next problem, because the resistor fell out and I put it at the moment in the plug! So I don't know the plus and minus of the resistor too!

Can I scan this resistor with a voltmeter or ohmmeter too?

It has been a long time since I've seen one of the V8-6-4s but I think the coolant sensor is on the intake manifold.

I've never heard of a resistor being used across the A/C clutch power leads. Maybe someone added it there but I have no idea why... Can you post a picture of it? Usually it is a diode. I believe the wire colors to the clutch coil are green and black and green is the positive lead and black is the ground lead. The banded end of the diode connects to the positive lead and the opposite side connects to the black lead. Verify the polarity with a volt meter though.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

hmpf I've no digicam, the pics were made with one of a friend and he is in holiday^^

but I'll have a look and try to describe!

but my problem is, that the diode and the cable were cut and so I don't know anything^^

Archived