CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Gasoline for 1989 Seville

Zerix

I just got this car recently, only driven it once. This is my first car, and my first Caddy :)

I wanted to know what kind of gasoline I'm going to have to fill it up with?

Also, it already has 140k on it (mileage), anything to watch out for?

Any tips or advice for this car would be much appreciated, thanks!

The '89 Seville with the throttle body injected 4.5 should take regular, unleaded gasoline - they didn't specify premium until the 1990 model year when the port fuel injected verson of the 4.5 engine was introduced.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

As with any aluminum engine, you should make sure that the coolant has been changed in the last two years. You might check the oil and look at the color; if it isn't clear or smells musty you should probably change it. Look at the trasmission oil; if it isn't perfectly clear or smells anything except oil, you might consider flushing the transmission.

I'm sure that you had a mechanic look over the belts and hoses, plug wires, etc. If not, you might consider that before winter sets in.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

As with any aluminum engine, you should make sure that the coolant has been changed in the last two years. You might check the oil and look at the color; if it isn't clear or smells musty you should probably change it. Look at the trasmission oil; if it isn't perfectly clear or smells anything except oil, you might consider flushing the transmission.

I'm sure that you had a mechanic look over the belts and hoses, plug wires, etc. If not, you might consider that before winter sets in.

Never, EVER flush an automatic transmission. A fluid drain, check/clean the screens, clean the inside of the pan and then refill with fresh trans. fluid is the proper method to service an automatic transmission.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks for the advice.

I suggest you do a search on the procedure of flushing your trans. There is a strong opinion against doing it! Everything else is good advice.

Quick question:

Dashboard says "Service Engine Soon."

So what should I do?

Pull the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). Not sure how on your car but try simultaneously pressing and holding the OFF & WARMER buttons. Write down the DTC's. Decode them here.

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

Archived