CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

88 Deville 4.5L electrical cut out

bdiamond

Gentlemen,

A new a strange problem just cropped up. The car will just shut down while driving. No dash lights, no electrical power at all, as if the battery was completely disconnected. Turn key off/on: nothing. But the battery is good (I replaced with a new one anyhow). After a few minutes of sitting, turn the key and power comes back and it starts and runs fine.

The last time it happed, I shorted the battery terminals (excellent sparking), and the power was restored to ignition, etc. But I am not sure it did this because of the shorting test.

What do you think: voltage regulator going bonkers? or the diode bridge in the alternator?

(PS: It is VERY hot here in Dallas, over 100 F every day)

Bill

TIA

Front engine main ground mounted near the starter. It may 'look' ok but needs to be taken apart and cleaned. There is a TSB about the ground.

Front engine main ground mounted near the starter. It may 'look' ok but needs to be taken apart and cleaned. There is a TSB about the ground.

Thanks. You were right it didn't look bad. I removed it and installed a new copper lug. I'll let every know if it fixed it.

Also, I couldn't find the TSB in Mitchells.

It is a long shot. But you have to fix that before moving on....

"Some 1988-1990 DeVilles, Fleetwoods, Eldorados, or Sevilles may experience one or more of the following driveability symptoms:

Engine Miss at Idle with High Electrical Load or A/C Load Erratic Secondary Scope Patterns Intermittent Backfires Intermittent Loss of Power Black Smoke/Rotten Egg Odor From Tail Pipe Detonation Dieseling Intermittent No Start Poor Fuel Economy

These conditions may be caused by a poor engine ground. This results in erratic EST operation as commanded by the ECM.

To service this condition it is important to remove and clean the ground stud by the starter. Install a star washer, P/N 11501869, on both sides of the stud to engine block. For location on DeVilles and Fleetwoods refer to Figure 1; for Eldorados and Sevilles refer to Figure 2."

This ground can go bad on both the 4.5 and 4.9 cars. Seen it cause more problems then the above description. The ground will 'look' OK.

We'll know pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...

:(

Well it wasn't the main battery ground. The car still occassionally cuts out. Yesterday I went to start it after work and I had dash lights (and all other electrical things) working. Went to turn the key to start and poof, I lost lost all electrical power. (no interior light, no dash lights, no door locks, absolutely no electrical power as if the battery was completely disconnected).

Opened the hood and tried lightly banging the three relays located on the right side shock tower. Nothing. I grounded the positive battery terminal with a screw driver, big spark, nothing, tried again, big spark, heard a click (like a relay sounds) and voila, all electrical power retuned. Started the car and drove home.

I'm baffled. Is this a relay problem?

I meant the left side shock tower.

:(

Well it wasn't the main battery ground. The car still occassionally cuts out. Yesterday I went to start it after work and I had dash lights (and all other electrical things) working. Went to turn the key to start and poof, I lost lost all electrical power. (no interior light, no dash lights, no door locks, absolutely no electrical power as if the battery was completely disconnected).

Opened the hood and tried lightly banging the three relays located on the right side shock tower. Nothing. I grounded the positive battery terminal with a screw driver, big spark, nothing, tried again, big spark, heard a click (like a relay sounds) and voila, all electrical power retuned. Started the car and drove home.

I'm baffled. Is this a relay problem?

Archived