CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 STS - Fan (climate control) inop - fuse?

alg0912

Hi everyone - newbie here. My interior climate control fan stopped working. I went thru the manual trying to find which fuse is bound to it, but had no luck locating it. Can anyone give me an idea which fuse (and in which fuse bank - trunk or eng compartment) I should be looking for? A/C is working, but the dang fan just won't turn on. :(

Thanks in advance for any info provided!

In the 1997 shop manual, the figure on page 1C-12 shows the blower motor to be on the "INDVERT" fuse, a 50-amp. If it's this fuse, then your interior lamps and the cigarette lighter should be dead, too. It's in the LH maxifuse block. The LH maxifuse block is the vertical stack of larger fuses under the cover behind the air cleaner.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

These fans are known for going bad. One way is that the ignition wires lay up against the fan controller (circuit board attached to the fan) and the high voltage transients damage components on the circuit board. If you determine that your fan is bad and replace it, make sure that in the future you keep the ignition wires away from it.

Do a search under fan and you will find a lot. Some have fixed theirs by replacing components.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Be advised that the fans have been redesigned to make them more reliable, so if you do the R & R yourself don't be alarmed when the new fan looks different.

Fuse Position

1994 STS

Blower fuse

The fuse that you are looking for is not in either the trunk or engine compartment fuse boxes that you are looking at.

There is an additional fuse box that is under the big black plastic that the engine fuse box cover is connected to. Once you take this cover off you will see another fuse box that has 50 amp fuses.

You are looking for Maxi Fuse #4 --3rd fuse from the front of the car on the right side.

Vince P

Hi everyone - newbie here. My interior climate control fan stopped working. I went thru the manual trying to find which fuse is bound to it, but had no luck locating it. Can anyone give me an idea which fuse (and in which fuse bank - trunk or eng compartment) I should be looking for? A/C is working, but the dang fan just won't turn on. :(

Thanks in advance for any info provided!

All good advice below. And don't overlook the pigtail connector, about 6 inches from the fan. The 3 wire pigtail will overheat after extended high speed fan operation and then when it softens, it lets the big conductor slip so that contact is intermittent or fails. GM has a replacement connector available that you can splice in.

Welcome to the list, lots of good guys hang here.

Jim in Phoenix

Archived