CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Are the 1994 Sevilles more common than 5-7?

The Fred

How many Sevilles were made in those years?

Also, it seems like all STS versions are Z-Rated..

I didn't know that.

Is it some other Cadillac that is rarely Z-Rated? The Deville perhaps?

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The STS through 1994 or 1995, I'm not sure, came standard with Z-rated tires. In the mid-90s, there were too many complaints of harsh rides with the Z-rated tires that Cadillac switched to H-rated tires (130 mph) as standard, with Z-rated tires as an option. Only the STS and ETC were able to have Z-rated tires. No DeVille had them as an option I don't think, not even the Concours.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I had no idea that was an Astroroof I have there

The STS through 1994 or 1995, I'm not sure, came standard with Z-rated tires. In the mid-90s, there were too many complaints of harsh rides with the Z-rated tires that Cadillac switched to H-rated tires (130 mph) as standard, with Z-rated tires as an option. Only the STS and ETC were able to have Z-rated tires. No DeVille had them as an option I don't think, not even the Concours.

Ha,

Thanks for telling me,

I can't believe idiots bought a sports car and complained about a stiff ride.. :)

If I buy a Concours.. say a 97-99 model - can I still reflash the PCM thing with a Z-Rated VIN?

PS: I really need what ever I am in to be 150mph+ capable.

When you have the Z-Rated car - does it shut off at 150?

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

It's a Cadillac -- not a sports car. A Corvette is a sports car. ;)

No, you cannot reflash the PCM...especially on a DeVille. Allegedly, the procedure is for a dealership, or someone with a Tech II machine, to input the VIN of a vehicle with Z-rated tires into your car, which effectively makes the computer THINK it's in that other car, which would remove the speed limiter. I don't know the theoretical possibilities of giving a DeVille a Seville's VIN (since no DeVilles came with Z-rated tires), but I doubt it can be done, even in theory, since some electrical systems were different, etc.

But "in practice" is the other issue, since we've generally found that nobody anywhere is going to accept the liability of illegally removing your speed limiter for you.

Fred,

I think that is not a big deal. I have Z-rated STS, but anyway got only 125 mh because of traffic. And that was only two times anyway. Just too much traffic on a road. So, it's nice to have it, but your never will use it anyway.

I'm glad I have an S-rated Cadillac. I can buy the tires I really want (not limited to Z-rated rocks) and have a comfortable car. Leave the 150 mph for a Corvette.

IMO and I stress IMO, I would not be worried about going 150 on H rated tires. The rating is for a sustained time at speed. Unless your out West or way up North your not going to be able to drive that fast for any length of time. The tire sure isnt going to blow up if you happen to go faster than the speed rating.

ever watch those high speed chases were all of suden the tires start blowing, one by one all by themselves? Well that because the guy driving is pushing the tires past their designed limit. (this is when the just pop, not when the spik strips have at it)

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

ever watch those high speed chases were all of suden the tires start blowing, one by one all by themselves? Well that because the guy driving is pushing the tires past their designed limit. (this is when the just pop, not when the spik strips have at it)

Still, in these chases it happened mostly because of other factors: hitting sideways, other obstacles, sharp turns on a high speed...

I use to run my '79 Sedan Deville d'Elegance all night long just wide open I think it would do 130... sure felt like 130 to me.

I bought four new Michelins, good ones, they have 15,000 miles on them and look 75% worn even though I only drove at night on the roadways.. go figure that one *sigh*

Really I would imagine 130 would be enough for most situations I might get into but the peace of mind that comes of knowing 150 is there if I need it would really calm down my nerves

At the end of the year we'll be allowed CCW permits so I would not probably ever need to drive over 75.. unless I was chasing someone and I've only done that a couple of times.

MerryChristmas

IPB Image

MerryChristmas

Archived