CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 sts Rss codes

triplekey

I keep getting a service suspension message on my 98 STS , so I found the code C1780 current which means I believe C1780 - Loss of Steering Position Signal which I have no idea what that means so does anybody know how to go about fixing this problem, by the way I did clear the codes and I still get the message anyway so there must be a problem there . Thanks in advance !!

Remove the trim panel under the driver side of the dash board. At the bottom of the steering column shaft you will see a flat 6 pin connector attached to the steering wheel position sensor. Check the connector and associated wiring for security.

Otherwise, the sensor itself is failed.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Remove the trim panel under the driver side of the dash board. At the bottom of the steering column shaft you will see a flat 6 pin connector attached to the steering wheel position sensor. Check the connector and associated wiring for security.

Thanks for the help I will look into that !

Thanks for the help I will look into that !

Would you know what the purpose of that sensor is the car drives straight ?

The steering wheel position sensor signal is used as an input to the measurement of understeer conducted by the Stabilitrak system. Well, it can actually calculate oversteer also, but oversteer is not an everyday event with front wheel drive vehicles.

Google "stabilitrak".

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The steering wheel position sensor signal is used as an input to the measurement of understeer conducted by the Stabilitrak system. Well, it can actually calculate oversteer also, but oversteer is not an everyday event with front wheel drive vehicles.

Google "stabilitrak".

Thanks for the info I did google it. Now I have to fix the problem, It's guys like you that make this forum great.

Thanks again

Steve

Archived