CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1990 deville wont start

i have just recieved a 1990 deville. it needed a battey, so i bought one and the car wont turn over. the lights and everything else electrical seems to work. all conections are tight, i was wondering if thie built it security system could cause this and if so how can i fix it. thanx for any info

What happens when you turn the key? Do you hear a starter solenoid click? Do you get a message on the console? Is there a code (do you know how to get the codes?)?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

What happens when you turn the key? Do you hear a starter solenoid click? Do you get a message on the console? Is there a code (do you know how to get the codes?)?

no i do not here the soleniod and i dont know if im getting a message or a code (dont know what to look for) but i do wonder if its the pass key

There's a page linked from the main page. There are a *lot* of links from the main page. Click on

http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

and use that information to get your codes, and write them down, and post them here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Sounds like a problem with the starter. If the PASS key system was at fault, the PASS system fault light would be on.

Check for battery voltage at the large cable connection to the solenoid. Then check for battery voltage at the small solenoid terminal while a helper holds the ignition switch in the start position. If you have battery voltage, then you'll need to repair the starter. I always recommend having the existing starter repaired by a local AC Delco starter repair center vs. installing a chain store starter.

If there is not any battery voltage at the small terminal when the ignition switch is held in the start position, then check the connections to the gear selector switch which is mounted on top of the transmission where the shift cables connect.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

As a last resort you could bang on the starter lightly with a hammer

Well and as a real last resort you could actually replace it

If you find out for sure it is getting the juice just fine

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

Archived