CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

antenna instulation instructions

morgan

I just bought a repacement mast for my '97 sts antenna. I've tried to put it back together but it's not working right. The only instuctions I have are in spanish, not english. If anyone out there has a copy they could e-mail or send me i would greatly appreciate it. Thx.

Morgan

MIRELAND@APROD.COM

I don't see a quick reply, so I'll look in my factory manuals in the morning. Why are your instructions only in Spanish?

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

The part was made/assembled in Mexico.

I can certainly understand that, but if it was made for international distribution, it seems that they would also have had English, French, etc. also.

The manual, pages 9A-33 and 34, describe removal and replacement of the antenna mast sections for all 1997 models. I presume that yours is not out yet, and that you have the figures. I'll repeat all the text here. I do note that they tell you that you are going to re-use the thinnest part and the finial (the screw-on knob at the tip of the antenna) so be careful with the inner wire. The mast sections are the other two sleeves. The thinnest wire is a separate part with considerably more detailed installation instructions that must be followed for the antenna up/down motor to stop at the right places. If you need something else, get back to me. I have a flat-bed scanner and can get you the figures if necessary.

Nomenclature: The finial is the knob at the top of the mast. The 100 section of the rod is the long wire in the center; the finial screws onto it. The 200 and 300 sections are the masts that you are replacing. The insulator is the plastic tube that the antenna masts slide in and out of. The contractor is the section of the largest mast that goes down into the insulator.

Removal procedures are on page 9A-33, Antenna Mast Sections, "Remove or Disconnect."

1. Have an assistant turn the radio ON. When the thinnest rod section is extended approximately 26 mm (1 in) [NOTE -- separate instructions in Figure 27 say one FOOT] above the other sections, immediately disconnect power (either disconnect the battery or unplug power lead from the radio or the antenna [see below; I tell you where the connector is]).
  2. Remove the finial using a wrench or suitable pliers on the flat portions of the finial. Keep the thinnest rod section from turning by gripping the rod with pliers padded with cloth or rubber to prevent damage to the rod surface. The thinnest portion of the mast will be reused. Be careful not to bend the rod.
  3. Using fingers or long nose pliers, pull the other 2 mast sections up, sliding them over the 100 rod.

Installation procedure is at the top of the left column of page 9A-34, "Install or Connect."

1. Before assembling the new mast assemblies, lubricate the contractor with the supplied package of grease.
  2. Slide the assembly tool (brass tube) over the contractor to compress the contractor fingers. Slide the mast assemblies over the thin rod section and down into the mast stationary tube.
  3. Push the replacement sections down through the assembly tool, making sure the threaded top of the thin section is above the top of the other tubes.

Please note that the contractor is not the dude that discarded the multilingual instructions, but the part of the largest section that has fingers which lock it into the insulator. You use the brass tube to compress it so that it slides down into the insulator easily.

To remove and replace the insulator, use a 14 mm twelve-point wrench or socket. For the finial, use a 12-point wrench on finial if possible. Hold both the center wire with pliers that you have wrapped with tape to protect the chrome finish. I would use one of the less-permanent Locktite products here when putting the finial back on, but that is your call; it could become impossible to remove.

They say to control the antenna position by pulling the fuse as the antenna is starting to go up. The fuse is in the trunk compartment fuse block. I would look at pulling the connector instead, as suggested in the instructions. It is the cable with pink, green, and black wires that plugs into the bottom of the relay attached to the antenna motor. Pop the retainer clamp with a screwdriver so that it pulls easily, then when your helper turns on the radio and the antenna starts up, pull it off the relay.

Here are the instructions from Figure 27, Antenna Mast Sections. There are interesting differences, and this may be the set of instructions that you have with the replacement part.

1. Extend antenna approximately one foot above body by turning on radio then pulling fuse of [sic] disconnecting relay at antenna
  2. Grasp 100 (smallest) section of mast with pliers wrapped with tape to protect finish. Unscrew finial
  3. Unscrew insulator with 12 pt 14 mm wrench [NOTE -- they skip this in the other instructions.]
  4. Remove 200 and 300 sections of mast
  5. Slide assembly tool over new mast to compress spring contacts and install mst into tube
  6. Remove assembly tool. Reinstall insulator and finial

This is a lot easier than it looks here. The key is to read all the instructions beforehand, with the trunk trim removed so that you can see what they are discussing. I would recommend that you consider getting a set of factory manuals from Helm, Inc. They will pay for themselves the first time you use them to avoid having a job done such as the one you're doing now.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the instructions. I have actually removed the whole antenna and motor from the car. I had to take it apart to replace the platic cable that draw's it up and down. I'm not sure how to get the correct starting position because the cable was broken. Does that manual mention what to do in that case. If you could include the pics I would really really appreciate it.

Thanks again for your help.

Morgan

You have to replace the antenna drive cable. The procedure is on pages 9A-34-35 and there are two figures, one of which is important. It should be in the instructions that come with the new cable. If the cable doesn't come with instructions, let me know.

Figure 28 is just a cross-section of the antenna assembly. Figure 29 shows the inside of the motor and illustrates the process of adjusting the cable and motor positions so that the antenna will go up and down properly. Instructions are as follows.

POWER ANTENNA DRIVE CABLE

Figure 28 and 29

NOTICE: This procedure applies to broken drive cable replacement only.

Remove or Disconnect

1. Rear compartment trim. Refer to Body Rear End in Body Service.
  2. Turn radio and ignition ON and allow the antenna motor to cycle until it stops running.
  3. Vehicle wiring connector from antenna relay.
  4. Turn ignition and radio OFF.
  5. Unscrew finial. Pull up to access mast 100 rod to prevent turning if antenna is flush with insulator.
  6. Upper insulator from escutcheon housing.
  7. All mast sections and any attached drive cable.
  8. Three screws and lower cover from antenna.
  9. Antenna drive cable remaining in gear housing. Lift and turn hook to disengage from spool.
Install or Connect
  1. Antenna relay to allow motor to rotate gear counterclockwise one revolution so that gear hole is aligned at 4-5 o'clock position as shown [in Figure 29].

NOTICE: This step must be followed or antenna will shut off using anti-continuous run cam instead of limit switch. This may result in shortened antenna life. If the gear rotates too far, repeat removal steps 2 and 4.

2. Feed new drive cable up through actuator hole.

Threading either the cable guide supplied with service kit or the mast 100 rod to the antenna cable will assist in passing cable end past the lower seal. If the 100 rod is used, the antenna must be lowered from the bezel to allow for clearance.

3. Apply 1 drop of thread sealant to mast rod and thread to cable.
  4. Engage cable hook in gear hole by turning hook clockwise and laying along drive spool. Pull remainder of cable through tube.
  5. Lower cover to antenna.
  6. Lubricate contacts on 300 mast tube and slide 200 and 300 mast tube sections down over 100 mast rod using compression tool supplied with kit.
  7. Upper insulator into escutcheon housing.
  8. Clamp mast 100 rod section to prevent rotation and thread finial to rod.
  9. Vehicle wiring connector to antenna relay.
  10. Rear compartment trim.

Have a nice day. :wacko:

Archived