CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS Tail lights not working

LINDAL

My tail lights are not working. The inside lights on the speedometer quit, the lights on the shifter quit. All other lights seem to be working. Is there a fuse for this?

Could you tell us which car? I looked in the factory shop manuals for 1997 and it's an Easter egg hunt through the wiring diagrams unless you have a fault code. With a fault code, it's a simple matter to find the problem. Unless someone jumps in with the answer, I would need a code to find it quickly in the factory manuals.

You can get the fault code on the digital dashboard models by turning the key on and starting the motor, leaving it in Park, then pressing the A/C controls Off and Up (passenger temperature) simultaneously for several seconds, until all the dash indicators all light up. Then wait a few seconds and watch the driver's message display, and the on-board diagnostics (OBD) II computer will cycle through and give you the codes. Most of them will be "History" but write them down too; watch for a code that doesn't say "History." It will stop with "PCM?" displayed. You can bring the computer out of the diagnostic code scan mode by turning off the ignition or pressing the "Info Reset" button above the A/C controls.

Since the transmission gear indicator light is out, you will probably see a current code. If you don't see anything interesting, you might turn on the parking lights and try again.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

It is on the 1995 STS. I have looked in the manual at all the fuses and I can't figure which one it would be. My husband tested the 2 that said tail lights right and left on them. Tested good.

I just pulled the codes and the only current one is the T083 Brake Fluid level low. This is a chronic problem because the brake fluid is not low. We have checked it and rechecked. Another problem to be fixed later.

I need running lights for night driving. My son works nights and is using my car until his is fixed.

Any ideas on which fuse it might be? Or what else it might be?

Linda

Trying to think of things:

Check the tail light bulb sockets, as they can get moisture into them causing a short.

Check the wires which run through the trunk hinge for fraying.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I hate to have to take this car to the cadillac dealer. They will fix it but at what price. There has to be an explanation to the inside dash light, shifter light and the running lights. The brake lights work. It is only at night that you notice anything is wrong.

Like I said he tested the 2 fuses I thought it might be. But, there are a lot of fuses in this car. I read thru the manual on them and I was hoping someone on here had some idea on which ones to start with.

My husband and son tested as much as they could last night. Their conclusion is that the fuses are okay in the trunk. There are two that are for running lights and the license plate light (which isn't working either). They have some type of tester that shows no power to those 2 fuses. He has the book out on the 97 Eldorado thinking it will help locate the problem in the 95 Seville.

Someone else had a problem like this and it was a ground. I would also check the light switch.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hi...

I had the problem with the ground on my '98 STS running & back-up lights on the trunk lid. Basically, you have to test all the non-working lights with a meter to see where the power or ground failure resides. I also had my rear-dimming mirror not working cause they all shared a common ground wire that snapped in the hinges of the trunk.

My method of diagnosis was to test with a meter and apply power or ground directly to the lights until I found where the break in power or ground ocurred....If lucky, all your symtpoms maybe be connected to a single short or loss in continuity. First, though discount the obvious stuff, i.e. bulbs, sockets, fuses, relays, switches...then look for continuity problems. With a little bit of time & patience you should be able to narrow down or pin-point the problem.

Good luck.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

• 1 month later...

Still working on this. I just had a few thoughts relating to the tail lights and interior light for the cluster, the shift light, the license plate light. all don't work.

The back window Passenger side doesn't work sometimes and sometimes it does. This is the same car that drained the battery and we replace it a few months ago. Battery was only a year old. The brake fluid light comes on and the fluid level is fine. I think I have a short that is affecting all of these things. Is that possible?

I would really like to be able to drive at night!! It is time to get thing figured out.

Even when things are not on the same circuit per se, sometimes if they share a common ground that can have the same effect as being on the same circuit. If you have the shop manual for this car that's what I would look for, is what ground is used in each circuit.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I think the thing is haunted. The back window wouldn't work on the way home last night. Worked fine this morning. I always have dew on the back window and roll it down to see when I pull out of the driveway in the morning. I figured it wouldn't work this morning but hit the switch, it went right down like it should!! Weird.

I think the thing is haunted. The back window wouldn't work on the way home last night. Worked fine this morning. I always have dew on the back window and roll it down to see when I pull out of the driveway in the morning. I figured it wouldn't work this morning but hit the switch, it went right down like it should!! Weird.

That happens to mine every now and then. For me it occurs on hot days and the top of the window literally sticks to the top of the window stop. As soon as it cools off (evening time) the windows go right down. Cleaning the top edge of the glass with Windex usually takes care of the problem.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

• 1 month later...

Archived