CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

spark plugs

hello all i have a 96 sts and i want to replace the plugs. can anyone recomend some good plugs for the northstar? i talked to a gentlemen at cubed productions(loacl race shop) and asked about bosch plugs and he said they sometimes dont like gm cars, he recomended ngk whitch is what he runs in his cavalier but he didnt know about the northstar? any recomendations? i also have just ordered 8mm plugs for it to go with the cold air intake already installed

thansk paul

I would stay with AC/Delco double-platinums. In my experience the Bosch plugs do not do as well with the Northstar. I have not tried the NGK plugs.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

NGK are cheap japaneese plugs, they offer good value fro the money but I'd rather go with an American brand best I can.

AC Delco plugs are what get recommended, and they should, great plugs, and of course they are OEM.

A brand I haven't heard much, if any, trouble from is Champion, the sell a variety of plugs from double platinums to iridium cores or what not.

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

I would only use ACDelco plugs, the kind GM designed the engine with. 41-950 I believe is the part number. They have the right heat range and are the right size, and will last almost forever. I just recently replaced the original plugs in my '97 SLS with about 150k miles on the plugs. They looked pretty well for the age, and I noticed no substantial improvements afterwards, which means the original plugs were still firing great.

Champions have come as OE plugs in Chryslers for years. Our Grand Caravan has Champion double-plats from the factory. Chrysler recommends their replacement at 75k miles, and I think I will. From discussions on the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club forums, these plugs won't go as long as the ACDelco double-plats will. 75k is usually long enough.

I'd stick with ACDelco on my Cadillac.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Baby just turned 131K miles. I expect the plugs/wires are original.

They are on the top of my list for replacement. Sadly (?) baby hasn't had any need to visit the shop recently.

It will be ACDelco *only* for me.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I believe that you will find AC Delco plugs to be manufactured by Nippon Denso (ND). I pulled the original plugs out of my 2001 Deville last month and five of eight were ND's and three were AC Delcos. They all had the same number on the insulator, and except for the name change, they all looked the same. I questioned my local dealers service manager and he said that it was true that ND supplies to AC Delco and that the factory frequently fills in with the ND's when the assembly line is in short supply. Not stopping there I called a business friend that works for Delphi Electronics in California. I got to know him while I was the GM at my companies plant in Mexico in 2000-2002. My team assembled the circuits that went into the door panels of the Corvettes. Anyhow, he stated that indeed AC Delco has many parts private labeled. It is the only way they have been able to stay competitve.

Please let me know if any of you have learned differently.

Take a close look at the American Flag that is waving outside your door today. It too may be made in China.

Best Regards, Al. Wise

Hi,

ALL of my original AC Delco plugs "lost" their Platinum pads by 50K mi.

For this reason I did not want to replace with more AC Delco plugs.

I, however did try Bosch and was not pleased with the results.

I ran the Bosch plugs for a short time and replaced them with NGK Platinum.

That was about 3-4 years ago and they have been working perfectly.

Interesting fact:

My neighbour has a 1999 Olds Intrigue with the "Short star" V6.

He purchased it new.

Recently I helped him replace the original plugs. They were NGK.

So we replaced with NGK.

His old plugs 100K mi, were causing an occasional misfire.

The new NGKs are working fine.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Anyhow, he stated that indeed AC Delco has many parts private labeled. It is the only way they have been able to stay competitve.

Please let me know if any of you have learned differently.

That's absolutely true, but beside the point, in a way. The reason we use ACDelco plugs aren't because the ACDelco name is on them. It's because they're designed and validated with the engine. If ND makes a plug that is exactly equivalent, then it can be used.

Problem is, the ND plug that may have showed up at the factory isn't the same ND plug that you can buy in the stores. It'll be a generic, probably with the wrong heat range.

Any number of suppliers may supply ACDelco with plugs, but they'll be to AC's exacting specifications for an OE part. The stuff on the store shelf isn't the same, which is why it's safer to request ACDelco parts, either from your dealer or from a retailer. No matter who actually makes the plug, you know it'll work exactly as designed in your engine, unlike another brand, that may or may not work.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived