CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

door lock problems 94 sedan deville

New To the forum, hello fellow caddy drivers

Just picked up a 94 sedan deville and Everything is great except for my front passenger side door lock.

If I LOCK the doors ( either by the keyless entry or driver side control) Everything goes down. When I Unlock the doors everyone comes up except for front passenger lock. If want to unlock it, i have to reach across to unlock it.

Any help would be awesome.

Hi, and welcome.

If you don't have much history on the 94 Deville, the first thing I would do is change all the fluids -- oil, gas, coolant. Run the gas through, or to 1/2 then refill in case it was sitting a bit. Change the oil. Drain and refill the coolant. Don't flush oil or coolant.

Check the onboard diagnostic codes -- see http://www.caddyinfo.com/readingcodes.html

Check on ebay.com for a Helm's Shop manual for the 94. You can get new ones at http://www.helminc.com but they are pricey - around $135 now apparently. And they often show up on ebay for $50ish.

Now, for the door lock, if you use the key outside of the passenger door does it unlock?

I know there is a trick with windows that if you hold the switch down then slam the door it will sometimes help the window switch past a open spot, but I have not heard that working with doors.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Now, for the door lock, if you use the key outside of the passenger door does it unlock?

I know there is a trick with windows that if you hold the switch down then slam the door it will sometimes help the window switch past a open spot, but I have not heard that working with doors.

When I try to use the key outside I get nothing

That sounds like a mechanical problem and not an electrical problem then. You'll want the shop manual in hand before you start taking the door off.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I had the same problem on my 93' STS. The electric lock would pull down OK, but not push up.

I tried several ways to hold the nylon link to the latch, but bottom line is it was just worn out.

(The nylon link had yeilded and lost it's ability to stay linked under compression.)

I bought and installed a new unit several years ago, and it has been trouble free ever since. I would reccommend that you buy a new unit, and not try to "fix" the old one.

The lock was about $25 and the replacement process is fairly straight forward, no special tools.

If you would like more information on the replacement method, let me know. I will scan the manual and add a few tips.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I had the same problem on my 93' STS. The electric lock would pull down OK, but not push up.

I tried several ways to hold the nylon link to the latch, but bottom line is it was just worn out.

(The nylon link had yeilded and lost it's ability to stay linked under compression.)

I bought and installed a new unit several years ago, and it has been trouble free ever since. I would reccommend that you buy a new unit, and not try to "fix" the old one.

The lock was about $25 and the replacement process is fairly straight forward, no special tools.

If you would like more information on the replacement method, let me know. I will scan the manual and add a few tips.

-George

I have the same problem with my rear driver door, won't unlock. My driver door won't do either now; up or down. My outside lock is screwed up, so I have to now get in the passenger side and lean over to unlock my driver door...fun! I need to pull my panels off and see what's going on. I'm afraid though if it's something to do w/ the electronics, I may not find the faulty part.

Gowe3, what lock (part) did you replace that you were referring to. I noticed the lock actuators are around $70 at rockauto. I didn't see any on eBay for my year and model. If my lock actuator is bad, how will I know that's the culprit, and not something else?

Brian,

I have created an Adobe PDF file and placed it in my web storage. Click link below to get there.

Look for the file named: Door Lock Replacement

Door Lock Replacement

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived