CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 Seville SLS Overheating

Hi, My 95 SLS with 101K on it overheated turning onto the street where I live yesterday. Got home no problem. (Had shut off engine message) I let it cool down and restarted it a few hours later. The temperature just keeps on rising till it overheats. I shut it off at 230 degrees. Looked like no circulation so as a mater of course I replaced the thermostat and cap the next day and it still does the same thing. I poked around here for some ideas and just went out and tried the heat and could not get any heat out of it. Not sure what that means and if it’s an indication of a circulation problem. Felt like AC was on but I had it in economy mode with temperature set to 90 degrees. Any idea what could be causing this? Only code was A050 = Engine high temp. The car had been running fine. I did notice the temp went up once in a while in very hot weather to 214 degrees. Usually it runs between 196 and 206 staidly any weather. It was due for coolant service this summer. I change it every two years and what came out was clean. It did take 3 quarts to top it off after I checked it the first time it overheated. Also I have a pressure tester and it held 16 pounds for over 20 minutes.

3 quarts is a lot of coolant for a top-off. It sounds like a leak somewhere.

Double-check your water pump belt tensioner (on the driver side of the engine, at the front, where the small water pump belt is driven from one of the camshafts). That could be the cause for low circulation.

But it sounds like the system was very low on coolant, which would explain no circulation, no heat, and the overheat. 214 in hot weather is completely normal...but of course, an overheat is not.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Yes, you'll want to find the reason why almost a gallon of your coolant disappeared.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Well the belt and tensioner wher replaced last year with the AC compressor. I did check them and they look OK. (Belt is like new and tensioner is smooth while running) I thought 3 quarts was a lot too but I never got a coolant low message either. It is working because I have seen that message since I drained it and replaced the thermostat and cap. I put a pressure tester on it as mentioned earlier and it held pressure (16lbs) for over a half hour. There is no leak. Since then I can say the water is hot in the reservoir.

Well the belt and tensioner wher replaced last year with the AC compressor. I did check them and they look OK. (Belt is like new and tensioner is smooth while running) I thought 3 quarts was a lot too but I never got a coolant low message either. It is working because I have seen that message since I drained it and replaced the thermostat and cap. I put a pressure tester on it as mentioned earlier and it held pressure (16lbs) for over a half hour. There is no leak. Since then I can say the water is hot in the reservoir.

It sounds like you are referring to the tensioner on the main serpentine belt - Jason is talking about the tensioner on the water pump belt on the driver's side of the engine. Check it with a 1/4" breaker bar to make sure it pivots freely.

Pull the hose that connects the surge tank to the throttle body at the surge tank. Have a helper start the engine - coolant shoule pee out the hose, if not, the hose or the hollow bolt at the water pump housing that acts as a hose nipple is clogged.

Have you verified that the coolant is at the right concentration (50/50)?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

KHE Thanks! You are correct. I was checking the main serpentine belt. I just reread Jason’s post and realized I read it to fast. I checked the main serpentine belt and did not realize the water pump is on the driver’s side with its own belt. That has to be it. Either the tensioner for the belt is not working or the belt is slipping or broke. I'm at work now so won't get to check it till tomorrow morning. Will let you know. Thanks!

Wished I had read Jason’s reply more carefully. Belt and tensioner are toast. Tried to get the parts this morning but got the belt only. With the holiday Monday and Tuesday may not be able to get the tensioner till next Wednesday. My bad.... Thanks guys.

Relegated to the truck with no AC...

You may be able to grease or WD-40 that tensioner, just to free it up, until a new part is available. Hopefully, the 3 quarts the car was low was from the coolant boiling off, and not a leak (you indicated it pressure-tested good). Depending on the mileage on the car, you may consider putting a new water pump on it as well.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived