CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New mufflers or New Exauhst

howex

This is my first post on caddyInfo. So let me say right off, thanks for all the great information. This is a wonderful forum.

OK, I’ve read all the posts and information I could find on the exhaust systems. So now it is time to ask some questions.

My 92’ Seville had a beautiful throaty sound. My 97’ STS doesn’t. I read that it is because the 97’ has a resonator between the Cat and the Y pipe.

1st question: could I achieve that sweet throaty sound by leaving the system stock and removing the resonator and replacing it with a straight pipe?

2nd question: Should I leave the resonator and replace the mufflers with a set of Dynomax Super Turbos?

3rd question: Should I remove the resonator and replace it with a straight pipe and a set of Dynomax Super Turbos?

4th and most important question: Would the performance increase be worth replacing everything from the Cat back with 2.5” pipe and Dynomax Super Turbos?

Appreciate any and all replies

Unless the stock system has a problem (ex: serious rust and holes) then I'd be hard pressed to replace any of the stainless exhaust parts. Removing the resonator would be a quick fix. Before doing anything I need to ask this. Are you measuring (comparing) the amount of exhaust noise from the driver's seat or standing behind the car? The reason I ask is because the exterior noise insulating abilty between a 92 and 97 is dramatic. So making throaty exhaust comparisons from the driver's seat would not be as accurate as standing outside the car. Something to consider. And yes the Dynomax super turbos do have a mean sound don't they? [;)]

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Hi redhot, i removed the resonator on my old 96 . I did not notice any difference in performance or sound under normal drving, (a few WOT's here and there) Maybe over 80mph? Never got it that high after i did that. Then traded it in on a sweet 02.

I can't speak for what removing the resonator would do for the stock sound... but I did remove the resonator after installing a set of Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and I noticed a distinct difference in sound. I am very happy with the setup.

I have heard of people adding an X pipe and getting better preformance, but I dont know much about it myself. I know that you could invest in the Corsa for about a grand.

Michael

The stock system is pristine. It's just.........well..........too quiet! It sounds both inside and outside to darn ricey. I think I'll put a set of Super Turbos on it and see how that sounds and go from there. If that doesn't trip my trigger than I'll try removing the resonator like ero1220 suggested.

mikeal1892, I checked out Corsa and they don't have a system for anything older than a 99. So that out. They're a little pricey just for a few extra HP and a nice sound.

appreciate the fedback

redhot97,

I have replaced the original rear silencers with super turbos on my '96 SLS. Prior to the installation, I took a video with sound with the standard setup. I did the same after the installation of the super turbos.

If you want, I can put these files up on one of my pages for you to view/listen.

Quality of the videos is not so great, I'm no expert on this, plus they are taken with a small digital camera.

You should have a fast internet connection also.

Let me know if you're interested,

Stefan

I used the 20" cause I didn't want my car too loud. The difference in sound isn't that big, but noticable. My biggest concern was that it is not too loud driving on the highway at normal speed, and I'm pleased to say that this is okay. Friends who listen to my car when I drive by say that it does sond much more muscle-car like now. It seems that mpg has increased a bit also.

I welded them in myself, it was not too difficult.

I do not regret that I did that modification.

Best

Stefan

Just replace the mufflers. Most performance gains in an exhaust are attained by replacing restrictive mufflers, and the rest is a waste of money. And I would never change out stainless pipes for sure. Maybe if I had a worn out galvanized system.........but otherwise never. Just choose your mufflers correctly and you will be happy. Can never beat flowmaster imo, but you need to pick the right series, even with them for yourself. With the muffles at the rear of the system, it is usually not that bad (the drone) on the highway, but is quite throaty at half-full throttle.

Went down today and put on a set of magnaflows. Left everything as is except the new mufflers and a new set of Camaro Tips. Sounds great and I can tell she's breathing better.

[attachmentid=2472]

[attachmentid=2473]

post-3330-1145430925_thumb.jpg

post-3330-1145430936_thumb.jpg

Went down today and put on a set of magnaflows. Left everything as is except the new mufflers and a new set of Camaro Tips. Sounds great and I can tell she's breathing better.

[attachmentid=2472]

[attachmentid=2473]

Looks Great ! I'm glad you've got something your happy with. It looks so nice !

Michael-

Archived